Changes in Firefox 57

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Frank Lion

Re: Old Firefox Add-Ons Will Stop Working in Firefox 57,

Post by Frank Lion »

WaltS48 wrote:The problem I see with a lot of these "pathetic excuse" backlash posts is you forget you are only one user out of millions.

Sorry for your disappointment.
Even in reply to Scarlet, that is pretty condescending and patronising.

...and so easy to discredit, chum - Nazi Germany had to support of millions, so you reckon the opinion of one person in Germany at the time opposing all that would be worthless and a 'problem'?
WaltS48 wrote:Mozilla wants to improve performance for all users.
You really do walk straight into this stuff, don't you?

The second Firefox removed 'Icons and Text' and 'Text only' modes in 2014 proved that they had no interest at all in 'all users', like the mentally challenged or those suffering from dementia or Alzheimer's, etc. all of whom were left staring at toolbar buttons that they didn't understand. That's just one example.

Seriously, if Mozilla, or you, think they are going to do a Kool-Aid 'damage limitation' on this one....think again, would be my advice.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Grumpus

Re: Old Firefox Extensions Will Stop Working in Firefox 57,

Post by Grumpus »

It would be disappointing to lose the few extensions which are installed at present.
CTR, NoScript, Setting Sanity, Throbber Restored (probably redundant with CTR)
The loss of some flexibility would be an issue for probably a majority of users, not just one or two.
It's been a nice browser with few hiccups since 2005 when I first started to use it.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
celtic_superhero

Post by celtic_superhero »

It is funny now where Mozilla faces more and more harsh words from pissed off users, that suddenly "users" appear who are clearly in one way or another related with Mozilla... may it be some public relations guys or similar. (Parker and bwshomeu) - Can be seen in the Ghacks link from the prevous thread page or here too:

http://www.ghacks.net/2016/11/24/firefo ... d-of-2017/

The more grim the situation gets and the more backfire Mozilla gets, the more their reaction is becoming a bad joke :D Seriously, people are not stupid enough to fall for a clearly visible hired fan-boy ;)
marty60

Post by marty60 »

celtic_superhero wrote:Seriously, people are not stupid enough to fall for a clearly visible hired fan-boy ;)
That would be like DrDichotomous on Reddit. That guy is a human spam bot who relentlessly shills for Mozilla. No food necessary for him, just regular battery charges and plenty of oil.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

marty60 wrote:That would be like DrDichotomous on Reddit. That guy is a human spam bot who relentlessly shills for Mozilla
He is also a guy who has made a serious mistake by bad-mouthing Aris here - https://www.reddit.com/user/DrDichotomous

Anyone know of a more dedicated, hard working Firefox Extension author, now or in the past, than Aris?

Now, we, that is extension and theme authors, have known about this stuff since mid 2015, but what will it mean to you, the 'average' user? It's a long and complicated subject (or so they would have you believe) but this is what it comes down to, in just a few sentences. -

This is what awaits you
- https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/extensions

The clue is in Mozilla's term - WebExtensions - they will only do anything to content (webpages) not to chrome (the UI)

Really, you can stop reading now, if you want, because that's it. Existing Firefox extensions that do stuff to webpages may well be around for a few years, but existing Firefox extensions that do stuff to the UI, er, will not.

Still reading? - OK, check this out - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... momalehbom

Well, that's the Chrome alternative to Colorful Tabs, right? Wrong, read the reviews, it's changing the colours on the webpage, not the tab....and so it goes on.

Mozilla shills attempt to portray Firefox extension devs as lazy devils too idle to take on board what is on offer (and so make it seem like their fault when the stuff vanishes) What the shills are not telling you, despite mentioning the term 'APIs' over and over and over again, is this - those APIs do not exist yet, even in a test form. Even then, Mozilla are also already committed to the same 'don't touch our UI' policy, as Google Chrome and so you'll end up with this for Firefox - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/extensions

See? Not that hard to understand what is going to happen after all, was it?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
marty60

Post by marty60 »

If you go through his posts he insults addon developers while admitting he doesn't know the first thing about writing them himself. If Mozilla isn't paying him they ought to considering it's those very same addon developers who keep users to their browser and not the other way around as they're trying to portray. And Aris is a perfect example of that; without CTR how many would have already ditched Firefox? Remove that UI customization ability and there's no reason to remain.
Drumbrake

Post by Drumbrake »

WaltS48 wrote:
The problem I see with a lot of these "pathetic excuse" backlash posts is you forget you are only one user out of millions.

Mozilla wants to improve performance for all users.

Again with this ? Hint: if that were really the case, please feel free to start by ditching pocket, hello, directory tiles, selfsupport, the whole webide thing, the truckload of webdeveloper tools that no average user even knows exist (and really should be in a separate addon), screen sharing, this new flyweb monstrosity and so on.

Or maybe do something to speed up the whole safebrowsing deal ,which slows down Firefox startup like it's doing who knows what complicated task.

Unfortunately, the truth lies somewhere else: some "genius" has decided that the "internet is changing" and that Firefox has to accommodate for this by mostly becoming some sort of weird interface for the so called "internet of things" (slang definition for a number of spying devices that no one really needs outside of the folks making them), so anyone still clinging to this (once) beautiful browser that allowed us to browse the web and do our business *exactly* as we wanted has to be labeled as just "one user out of millions" - whose expectations about Firefox have to be discarded as "pathetic".

One quick note about those "millions" : don't worry, you have already managed to lose a good deal of them and are on your merry way to shed a few more.
Drumbrake

Post by Drumbrake »

marty60 wrote:If Mozilla isn't paying him they ought to considering it's those very same addon developers who keep users to their browser and not the other way around as they're trying to portray. And Aris is a perfect example of that; without CTR how many would have already ditched Firefox?
That exactly : Aris is the one who has managed to keep so many users by providing an alternative to the useless Australis interface - no less.
They better hurry up with this missing API that CTR needs - I suspect they know this already.
impar

Post by impar »

Drumbrake wrote:
WaltS48 wrote: The problem I see with a lot of these "pathetic excuse" backlash posts is you forget you are only one user out of millions.
Mozilla wants to improve performance for all users.
Again with this ? Hint: if that were really the case, please feel free to start by ditching pocket, hello, directory tiles, selfsupport, the whole webide thing, the truckload of webdeveloper tools that no average user even knows exist (and really should be in a separate addon), screen sharing, this new flyweb monstrosity and so on.
This!
Drumbrake wrote:... Aris is the one who has managed to keep so many users by providing an alternative to the useless Australis interface - no less.
Yep. Although a "CTR-lite" would probably be enough, some of the settings CTR provides are essential. Moving the hamburguer button to the left being, for me, the must-have feature.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

impar wrote:Moving the hamburguer button to the left being, for me, the must-have feature.
Let's not get sidetracked on this thread with trivia. To do that takes just 4 lines of .css - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p13289855
marty60

Post by marty60 »

Drumbrake wrote:They better hurry up with this missing API that CTR needs - I suspect they know this already.
Custom Buttons is another one but I don't know how committed the developer is to that anymore or if it's even possible with webextensions. Fortunately for us Mozilla typically moves so slow that v57 will probably turn out to be v63.
toolong

Post by toolong »

Your point would have more validity if it was just one person using addons. The fact is for the browser's entire existence it has been based on the XUL model. So Mozilla's desire to improve performance for all users means millions of users are being thrown out the door. This is almost like a bait and switch that is so common in this industry. One can probably make persuasive arguments that it's time to move on but at the very least let the new model mature enough first so that loyal users aren't left in the dust.

Move on to what?
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

The Tinsmith wrote:Move on to what?
A half ***ed version of this with the same half ***ed Extensions ?
https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/desktop/
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
toolong

Post by toolong »

mightyglydd wrote:
https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/desktop/

I see. But Google Chrome does not look anything like Firefox with CTR. And it is also already WebEx IIUC. And IIRC none of the XUL extensions work with it.

And, again IIUC, it 'phones home' on you with 'what is (s)he doing.

Do I not understand this correctly?
marty60

Post by marty60 »

For the supporters of webextensions like WaltS48 I was referring to that. In my case if the addons I need stop working then it's most likely Pale Moon. What else is there, Chrome isn't even on my radar.