[Ext] Adblock Plus 0.5.11.4

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
voraphile

Bug in AdBlock v0.5.6+ (under Linux)

Post by voraphile »

AdBlock v0.5.6+ fails to install under Linux (tested with Firefox v1.0.4 and the text version of AdBlock), because the xpi file contains a chrome/AdBlock.jar file, while the isntallation refers to chrome/adblock.jar (please, remember that only Mickey-mouse operating systems like Windoze got case-independant filesystems...). Renaming the file properly into the xpi does cure the problem.
gozilla

Re: Bug in AdBlock v0.5.6+ (under Linux)

Post by gozilla »

voraphile wrote:AdBlock v0.5.6+ fails to install under Linux (tested with Firefox v1.0.4 and the text version of AdBlock), because the xpi file contains a chrome/AdBlock.jar file, while the isntallation refers to chrome/adblock.jar (please, remember that only Mickey-mouse operating systems like Windoze got case-independant filesystems...). Renaming the file properly into the xpi does cure the problem.

You just made my day. Just renamed the AdBlock.jar to adblock.jar and everything works fine.
mcm_ham

Post by mcm_ham »

Thanks for the warning voraphile, I've updated them so that all the references are in lower case. Let me know if they work ok.

ArtLonger, the error messages are because Mozilla can't find the locale yet the chrome registered ok and the paths look correct. It looks like I'll have to spend a bit of time on it which I won't be able to do until the weekend which is why I posted them. In case anyone could tell me straight off the cause.
simulate030

Post by simulate030 »

As for automatically updating from a URL- fantastic idea, but...

The latest update file is always different (due to date: 2005-05-12a.txt for example). How would you synchronize to a specific URL?
ilwhx

Post by ilwhx »

please help to add Localizations: zh-CN,thanks
mcm_ham

Post by mcm_ham »

simulate030 wrote:As for automatically updating from a URL- fantastic idea, but... The latest update file is always different (due to date: 2005-05-12a.txt for example). How would you synchronize to a specific URL?

There was a discussion about this with G here:
http://aasted.org/adblock/viewtopic.php?t=1997

There is another use for automatic synchronization which people are using it for. If you have a multi-user computer or a home network you can use automatic synchronization to make all the Firefox profiles have the same filter set. This is by just have a adblock filter list file up to date sitting on one of the computers.

ilwhx wrote:please help to add Localizations: zh-CN,thanks

I'm not sure what you're asking but if you understand both English and the Chinese? language you're more than welcome to translate various lines of text. The adblock extension is just a zip file including the one under chrome folder. You can find the en-US (english) locale there so just create a zh-CN one. Update the install.rdf at the bottom in the root folder before testing. If you need more help let me know.
Last edited by mcm_ham on May 18th, 2005, 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
0live

Post by 0live »

You could implement a script to retrieve the url of the last item matching the %date%.txt pattern. No redistribution then.
Linux i686 (ubuntu-gutsy) | Minefield (20081118020400) | Tb 2.0.0.17pre (2008092517) w/ Lightning
mcm_ham

Post by mcm_ham »

I've had reports that in Linux under extension manager it always says that AdBlock will be uninstalled after a restart. I don't get this but is anyone else experiencing this?
Calain80

Localization Problem.

Post by Calain80 »

ArtLonger wrote:mcm_ham
http://mcmblog.homedns.org/Firefox/test.xpi
Error of installation on a Mozilla... :( After installation in the bottom part of a window is written:

<menuitem id="itemsAdblock" label="&adblock.adblocklabel1;" oncommand="filterAllDialog(true);"/>
----^

This is a Problem with the Localization. The Lang-File has the wrong encoding. Witch language do you use?
mcm_ham

Post by mcm_ham »

This is on a couple of languages that I've tried mainly en-US, and are all encoded in 8bit and work fine in Firefox.
Calain80

Post by Calain80 »

mcm_ham wrote:This is on a couple of languages that I've tried mainly en-US, and are all encoded in 8bit and work fine in Firefox.

Hmmm... got the same error using ASCII-encoding. Changing to UTF-8 without BOM fixed it for Fx. So I thought I would be the same with Mozilla. :roll: Never Mind. ;)

Calain
ArtLonger

Post by ArtLonger »

Calain80
It is a problem with presence of localization. Under Firefox all works.
While translating I use UTF-8.
mcm_ham

Post by mcm_ham »

Thanks for your help Calain it was a good thought anyway. I have now discovered the cause, a localeversion attribute in the content.rdf file under the content folder is either not supported by Mozilla or was set wrong. I've just removed it since it's not required and it installs fine in Mozilla now. I would like some testing on different locales as it appears to only load the first registered locale irrespective of what locale Mozilla is set to. Other extensions I tried seem to have the same problem.
Last edited by mcm_ham on May 31st, 2005, 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ArtLonger

Post by ArtLonger »

mcm_ham
Last AdBlock_Plus_dev_icon.xpi is install on russian Mozilla, but only as en-US.
mcm_ham

Post by mcm_ham »

Thanks for confirming ArtLonger, I tried ieview and flashgot and they seem to have the same problem. As a work around unzip the extension and open the install.js file and head to this bit of code:

Code: Select all

const APP_LOCALES = ["it-IT","ru-RU", "de-DE", "nl-NL", "fr-FR", "zh-TW", "en-US"];

It's the last locale registered that Adblock always seems to use so you can put the Russian locale listed last.

EDIT: I think I found the right bug on bugzilla, Bug #216489. Seems Multizilla has a workaround and I notice it's able to automatically add toolbar items so will see if I can do the same with the buttons version of Adblock for Mozilla. But it will take a while as it is a pretty complicated extension.