Outgoing server does not support . . .

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
MDYoung66

Outgoing server does not support . . .

Post by MDYoung66 »

Hi, I've had this problem pop up within the last couple of days. I can receive e-mail, but when I try to send e-mail I get "Sending of the message failed.
The Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp.cox.net does not seem to support encrypted passwords. If you just set up the account, try changing the 'Authentication method' in 'Account settings | Outgoing server (SMTP)' to 'Normal password'."

My passwords are not set as encrypted. I haven't changed anything in settings and this has only occurred recently. If I try resending the e-mail later, some of the time it will go through without giving me that error message. Granted, my settings right now are POP3 with no security in Thunderbird, and I'm likely seeing that error right now, but years ago when I set up the account cox.net didn't seem to have the ability to use IMAP, which I believe is the considered more secure format (or easily accessed directions for setting it up), nor TSL/SSL security. I could be wrong here, and I'm making little sense to myself here, and I apologize if you're feeling as confused as I am, cold medications and my trying to make sense don't mix. :oops:

Anyway, if anyone can chime in here and help me out, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.
DanRaisch

Re: Outgoing server does not support . . .

Post by DanRaisch »

It's not an issue of account type as IMAP is no more secure than POP. Both types can have the same authentication and connection settings.

Users of the Cox system have been reporting issues with their servers for some time now. Sometimes with receiving, most times with sending. What do you have selected for that account at this time for port, for connection security, and for authentication type?
What security software are you running on that computer?
MDYoung66

Post by MDYoung66 »

Port 110, connection security-none, authentication method-password, transmitted insecurely. I may have had to set these back a few years ago when Mailwasher Pro, Cox, and TB weren't getting along, at least I seem to recall readjusting settings for some reason along those lines probably 10 years or so back, but it being so long ago, I'm unsure, and it likely was supposed to be a workaround at the time and I just forgot to go back and change settings.

I run Webroot Secure Anywhere, Malwarebytes Pro (both of which do run alongside each other fine and have for years), and as mentioned above Mailwasher Pro to scan incoming email.

This problem seems to come and go over the past week or so. I'll be unable to send an email, then try again an hour later, and it sends fine. I sent outgoing yesterday fine without any problem. Last night I came home to check email and incoming was sloooooow. This morning, incoming worked fine, but no outgoing. Although right now, incoming is slow going again. Other cox customers are having problems as well? I may have to contact Cox and see what's happening on their end.

Thank you for the quick response.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

That sort of problem (doesn't work, works, lags, works, etc., etc.) certainly sounds more like a server issue than a local application issue. Unless you are are constantly tweaking settings in Thunderbird or your security software, there would be no reason for things to go bad and then go good, etc. That pattern points to something outside of your control (such as Cox) being involved and at fault.

One way to test that would be to set up an free account with another provider (Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc.) and, when the problem appears with the Cox account, switching to the SMTP server of that new account to see if the problem remains. If it does not, it helps point to the Cox servers as a point of failure.
MDYoung66

Post by MDYoung66 »

Thanks for the response. Maybe it's the cold medication, but I'm not sure what you mean by "switching to the SMTP server of that new account to see if the problem remains."

Now, I did check email on the webmail server and was able to log in then send/receive email just fine, but still am unable to receive via TB and receiving is glitchy again. And, yes, there are a numerous reports of outages with Cox for the last several days. Thanks for pointing me to that possibility. I hadn't even thought to check the Cox (outrage) outage site earlier.
chrisss2016

Post by chrisss2016 »

I am having the same issue with Cox today. TB has been working fine and woke up this morning and got this "outgoing server (SMTP) does not seem to support encrypted passwords" message. I am using SMTP. The weird part about this is that my authentication method has always (and still is) set to normal. So why would Thunderbird come back with a dialog box stating that encrtped passwords are not supported when in settings it is set for "normal"?

I also can send and receive with cox.com when using the website, it is just TB. Sometimes I can receive, but can never send. This is very frustrating as I rely on this for my business. Webmail is not an option. I have used cox with TB for more than 10 years and have never seen this issue.

Any more ideas?
Arbie

Post by Arbie »

FWIW, I'm having the same problem with my Cox account. I changed nothing within Thunderbird. I did, however, update the program on 2 Dec, and that had all the usual problems of repeatedly failing until I had to do a full install. Between then and now, sometime, I lost the ability to send messages. I always get the "does not support encrypted passwords" message even though in Accounts | Server Settings I have Normal / no security set.

Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I also can send and receive with cox.com when using the website, it is just TB
Unfortunately that really doesn't prove what you think it does. When accessing the account via the webmail page you are not using the same servers as when Thunderbird is in the mix.

What security software is running on that system?
MDYoung66

Post by MDYoung66 »

I still have not "switched to another account" as DanRaisch suggested, but after doing a bit more checking within TB, I noticed the Outgoing Server (SMTP) section of Account Settings (hadn't scrolled all the way down yesterday and didn't even notice the scroll bar--hey, cold medication). Oddly enough, the settings for password were "encrypted" which I changed to "normal password" and now things send fine. I haven't changed anything in TB for years. Cox is still kind of iffy on downloading email.
chrisss2016

Post by chrisss2016 »

OK, I solved this, hope this solution will help others as well. When going into TB Account Settings, down at the bottom there is a pull down titled "Outgoing Server (SMTP)". It should be "Cox - smtp.cox.net". On mine there was another one that had been created: "username - smtp.cox.net" where "username" is the email address without the "@cox.net". I changed this back to "Cox - smtp.cox.net" and all is well.

Why or how this got created and changed is a mystery, but that is what fixed it for me.
Arbie

Post by Arbie »

I posted earlier noting the same problem with Cox. Subsequently, Thunderbird began working fine again when sending mail, with no action by me. So I think Cox did something at their end.
njomcintosh

Post by njomcintosh »

I am having this problem as well and have not been able to resolve it. I am trying to edit the outgoing server, but don't see how to change it from my username to Cox. Can you explain?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Menu path Tools->Account Settings->Outgoing Server (SMTP) at the bottom of the list of accounts in the left hand pane.

Papa-Gus

Post by Papa-Gus »

This is altogether not a Thunderbird issue. Cox Communication recently made changes to many of their email servers that resulted in interruption to service for countless subscribers. The interruptions began nearly three weeks ago and were initially intermittent. Cox resolved that issue after several days and service was restored, albeit temporarily. About two weeks ago, I began to experience this particular problem where a dialog box informs me that the IMAP server "does not seem to support encrypted passwords". Suddenly, with no changes made to my system, email was no longer being sent or received unless the user name and password was transmitted in the clear; definitely not a secure means of communication. Incidentally, this is the identical state of affairs Cox subscribers experienced in the distant past while Cox was incorporating Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) into their network.

I am running multiple Windows 7 machines on my network and this disaster struck each one simultaneously, an indication that the Thunderbird application is the victim, not the aggressor. The fact that this problem does not occur on some mobile phone and tablet devices does not suggest the origin of the problem resides on your personal computer. Remember, this dilemma appeared overnight while Cox was working to solve issues they were experiencing with their (defunct) equipment. Cox created an environment where Thunderbird is no longer compatible with their mail servers.

I spoke at length with Cox Technical Support soon after the intermittent problem first arose. They admitted a problem with their mail servers exist and they were working feverishly to resolve the issue. When this current problem at hand appeared, Cox Technical support suddenly copped a nescient attitude and blamed the email client as the source of the problem. She (Cox representative) argued that since I was able to send/receive messages using their web-mail, the problem resides on my end. Undoubtedly, she does not realize the complexity behind the operation and refused to discuss the matter further; DanRaisch explained this nonsense earlier and he is correct. I will get back in touch with Cox Level II support when I have another three hours of my life to waste. Until then, create a Google Mail account and breathe easier knowing that you can dump Cox and maintain persistent email communication regardless of your ISP.
njomcintosh

Post by njomcintosh »

Now another one of my emails won't allow me to send, same error message!!!! Different server!