Is 2.40 the last of the SeaMonkey updates?

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Zerebralus

Re: Is 2.40 the last of the SeaMonkey updates?

Post by Zerebralus »

maybe yes... but I just get duckduckgo as default search engine but in the prefs Google is set to default. Changing this search engine in the SM Settings doesn't change anything. and what happened to the password manager?? only such a small window?? damned. always those changes.
frg

Post by frg »

Setting the default search engine is broken right now. It does no longer exist and mirrors the current engine. The workaround is to set your search engine in the sidebar or search bar.

If you want the data manager to open in a tab set suite.manager.dataman.openAsDialog to false in about:config.
Zerebralus

Post by Zerebralus »

thx I changes this the string worked :-) but so changes in the backround is not the best thing for "normal" user :-(
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Zerebralus wrote:....but so changes in the backround is not the best thing for "normal" user :-(
Yep, that's why I just changed the search engine in the searchbar and resized the Data Manager window, just like any normal user would. People really do overthink these things.
always those changes.
If nothing ever changed what would be the point of having an update?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Zerebralus

Post by Zerebralus »

it's always the same :-) a normal user just starts the browser nevertheless never start a profile for the Browser. And the way with updates...or really know to handle some release notes.

Sure the gecko and security fixes are always a real need for a program update.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

frg wrote:If you want the data manager to open in a tab set suite.manager.dataman.openAsDialog to false in about:config.
Checkboxes for those (Data and Add-ons Managers) are coming up with 2.48, in the "Tabbed Browsing" preferences.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

rsx11m wrote:ewong has started the release process for SeaMonkey 2.46 (on par with Firefox 49.0) but ran into some issue with the Linux builds for a change. Also, at some point not all localizations were signed off for the non-English builds, and the localization system itself underwent some changes.
Still fighting with the localization systems, related to the bundled extensions. Stay tuned...
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Which version should I be using?
Currently it's 2.40 but I see a bunch folks posting with 2.46, is that the way to go and if so where do get the right version?
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

mightyglydd wrote:Which version should I be using?
Currently it's 2.40 but I see a bunch folks posting with 2.46, is that the way to go and if so where do get the right version?
Yep, all the hip cats use 2.46 these days. The version is very stable but comes bundled with Lightning (a T/bird facehugger ext. for diary/calendar stuff). Disable that if you don't need it, as it symbiotes onto the UA string and will then mess up some sites just by being a strange UA string.

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/seamonkey/tinderbox-builds/ is good and it's the beta you want. For M$ = http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/seamonkey/ti ... 470928581/ etc.

The Build ID of this one I'm using in Linux is 20161005003612. For all I know there might be more recent versions floating around, but this works and I wasn't going to fart around forever to wait for a release version.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Frank Lion wrote: use 2.46 these days. The version is very stable but comes bundled with Lightning (a T/bird facehugger ext. for diary/calendar stuff). Disable that if you don't need it
Frank, will the disabling be necessary when the final public release comes out. If so, when (before installation, after installation?) and how is the disabling done?
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Frank Lion wrote: I wasn't going to fart around forever to wait for a release version.
Quite so, updated and disabled Lightning..which I see can be removed ?

#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Peter Creasey wrote:Frank, will the disabling be necessary when the final public release comes out. If so, when (before installation, after installation?) and how is the disabling done?
If you didn't need it when it appears bundled in the release version, then you would disable it after installation by - SM Menu > Tools > Addons Manager (or Ctrl + Shift + A) > Extensions > Lightning > Disable. It then just sits there doing nothing and minding its own business.

If you do need/want it, then I seem to recall that it's possible to keep it, but to stop that UA string side messing up websites, but I'd have to look that one up. Edit - set the about:config entry calendar.useragent.extra to blank.

mightyglydd wrote:..which I see can be removed ?
Best to keep it, I reckon. There's a few versions of it around - which is why it has to advertise its compatibility in the UA string in the first place, so if you ever did need it you're bound to be unable to find the right version or something.
James

Post by James »

I would say the 2.46 Release Candidate builds would be more stable over tinderbox builds.

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/seamonkey/ca ... andidates/
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/seamonkey/ca ... es/build9/
frg

Post by frg »

The release will not come with Lightning, Chatzilla and Dom Inspector. For cZ and DOMi the l10n repack problem couldn't be solved in time so it was decided to remove them. l10n repack for Lightning should have worked but the makefiles need some other changes for adaption to both SeaMonkey and Thunderbird so it had to go too to not delay further. Hopefully they can be added back to the next release.

Lightning 5.1b and cZ are on AMO. DOMi too but I am not sure the current release will work ok with SeaMonkey. Could be extracted from a zipped nightly build or from Adrian:
https://l10n.mozilla-community.org/~aka ... windows32/
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Why might a happy SeaMonkey user want to deploy Lightning?

Thanks!
. . . . . . . . . . Pete