Constant crashes on yahoo related pages. (Mac)

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
MozillaBlues

Constant crashes on yahoo related pages. (Mac)

Post by MozillaBlues »

Macbook Pro Retina
OS X 10.8.5

Firefox ESR 45.5.0

Starting last week, Firefox has continually crashed while visiting yahoo.com or yahoo mail. Sometimes it is immediate, other times it is able to load/browse for a bit. Clicking a link with a video or audio file almost always causes the crash, but sometimes merely visiting the site does as well.

I don't know if its related, but sometime before it began occurring, Firefox did an auto-update. I've since deleted that version and re-installed what up to then was a stable version. I've also trashed the plist file to no avail.

I've had no trouble on pages other than yahoo.

Crash reports below. Can anyone decipher them? Maybe flash?

https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/ ... dca2161220
https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/ ... 12d2161219
https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/ ... 9fc2161219
https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/ ... 9382161219
https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/ ... 2072161219
https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/ ... 01e2161219
https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/ ... 65a2161219
Last edited by DanRaisch on December 20th, 2016, 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added (Mac) to subject line.
dfoulkes

Re: Constant crashes on yahoo related pages. Started last w

Post by dfoulkes »

1st... having a single site problem is not a Firefox bug... so, this should have been posted to the Support section.

2nd... When things like this happen there are a number of basic test-procedures to try...
From a prior post from Dan Raisch (with minor changes) ...

(If using a version below Firefox 3.5.) Clear the browser cache (Tools->Clear Recent History->select cache->click on "Clear Now" button).

Else... use menu path Tools->Options->Advanced->Network tab->click on "Clear Now" button.)

Delete any cookies relating to the site(s) involved (Tools->Options->Privacy->Show Cookies button).
Note: The above is for Windows so if you're using a different OS refer to this...
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Menu_differen ... x,_and_Mac

... or...
Try running Firefox in safe-mode... NOTE: This is a testing procedure only ... NOT for normal browsing.
-- On the menu bar, click the Help menu and select Restart with Add-ons Disabled....
Firefox will start up with the Firefox Safe Mode dialog. Click continue in Safe Mode and don't check any items.

Note: You can also start Firefox in Safe Mode by holding down the shift key while Single/Double clicking on the icon.
* (option key while starting Firefox on Mac).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>What safe-mode does ..... Safe Mode temporarily affects the following:
* All extensions are disabled. --- * The userChrome.css and userContent.css files are ignored.
* The default theme is used, without a persona. --- * The default toolbar layout is used.
* The Just-in-time (JIT) JavaScript compiler is disabled. --- * Hardware acceleration is disabled.

-- Safe Mode has no effect on the following --
* The status of plugins is not affected.
* Custom preferences are not affected.

This is the link to the main KB article for Safe-Mode ... but, use the above info 1st...
Safe Mode - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

...and... if the above does not help or so something...

Creating a new Firefox profile on Windows - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
And,.... DON'T TOUCH THAT "Choose Folder..." BUTTON! ... unless you fully know all about it.

Please post back with any results.... also, others who know how to read the crash reports will come along and help.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
MozillaBlues

Post by MozillaBlues »

dfoulkes wrote:1st... having a single site problem is not a Firefox bug... so, this should have been posted to the Support section.
It's not that it's just a single site problem, but more so a single site problem that only appeared after a FF update. Nothing else on my system has changed or updated. But maybe a mod can move it to the right forum.
dfoulkes wrote:
2nd... When things like this happen there are a number of basic test-procedures to try..
I did initially try all those things and the problem still persistsed. Thats why I came on the forum. The reason given in all the crash reports is the same:

EXC_BAD_ACCESS / KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS

Also, I have a second macbook with the same OS and version of firefox and it doesn't experience the problem. But the difference between the two is that it was not set to auto update, where as the problematic computer went through the auto update before I reverted back to the (same) prior version.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Moving this to Firefox Support...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

MozillaBlues wrote:
dfoulkes wrote:1st... having a single site problem is not a Firefox bug... so, this should have been posted to the Support section.
It's not that it's just a single site problem, but more so a single site problem that only appeared after a FF update. Nothing else on my system has changed or updated. But maybe a mod can move it to the right forum.
dfoulkes wrote:
2nd... When things like this happen there are a number of basic test-procedures to try..
I did initially try all those things and the problem still persistsed. Thats why I came on the forum. The reason given in all the crash reports is the same:

EXC_BAD_ACCESS / KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS

Also, I have a second macbook with the same OS and version of firefox and it doesn't experience the problem. But the difference between the two is that it was not set to auto update, where as the problematic computer went through the auto update before I reverted back to the (same) prior version.

A Quick look at the first two crash-reports is showing your crashing in GeForceGLDriver is your video card drivers the same on both systems and up to date ?

Also, you might want to modify your first post to add 'Mac' in the title of the thread so other Mac users will be attracted to take a look.
Virtual_ManPL

Re: Constant crashes on yahoo related pages. (Mac)

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

@ MozillaBlues - Your Firefox crashes with [@ mp4_demuxer::MP4Metadata::GetNumberTracks const ] signature, which were fixed started with Firefox 46.
I requested patch uplift to ESR branch here - Bug 1258410 - crash in mp4_demuxer::MP4Metadata::GetNumberTracks.
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
MozillaBlues

Post by MozillaBlues »

Virtual_ManPL wrote:@ MozillaBlues - Your Firefox crashes with [@ mp4_demuxer::MP4Metadata::GetNumberTracks const ] signature, which were fixed started with Firefox 46.
I requested patch uplift to ESR branch here - Bug 1258410 - crash in mp4_demuxer::MP4Metadata::GetNumberTracks.
Ok. So, then it is a bug that began with FF 46, was fixed in the normal version, but hasn't been fixed in the ESR?

Why does it persist even after deleting FF46 and re-installing FF45. I'm guessing I didn't do as thorough an uninstall as necessary. Do you know what file and location I need to delete, that would be altered during an update, but commonly overlooked during an uninstall? I trashed the preferences file, but that didn't help. Is there a particular file in my profile folder that would cause this? I can trash the whole thing and re-import/replace the files I want to keep, but without knowing which one is the culprit, I won't know which are safe to bring back in.

Thanks for posting the patch request.
MozillaBlues

Post by MozillaBlues »

TheVisitor wrote:
A Quick look at the first two crash-reports is showing your crashing in GeForceGLDriver is your video card drivers the same on both systems and up to date ?

Also, you might want to modify your first post to add 'Mac' in the title of the thread so other Mac users will be attracted to take a look.
I believe they're different (other macbook is non-retina), but in any case they are both up to date.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

You might want to try downloading your version (esr) and install it over your current install...can't hurt... who knows?
Directory Listing: /pub/firefox/releases/45.0/mac/
... pick your language.

You might want to backup first... your profile.
Profile backup - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
therube

Post by therube »

problem that only appeared after a FF update
And what update was that?

The bug was filed against FF 45.
So you'd expect FF 45esr to be affected too - unless they port the fix to esr.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
MozillaBlues

Post by MozillaBlues »

therube wrote:
problem that only appeared after a FF update
And what update was that?

The bug was filed against FF 45.
So you'd expect FF 45esr to be affected too - unless they port the fix to esr.
I believe it was FF 45.6.0 ESR, though I'm not 100% positive. Auto update was mistakenly turned on, it updated from FF 45.5.0 ESR and then the problem began.
MozillaBlues

Post by MozillaBlues »

Today I:

copied my profile folder to another location
deleted FF
searched through my Mac for any FF or Mozilla related file and trashed it
re-installed FF 45.5.0 ESR
immediately turned off auto update (it would be nice if it would default that way or at least prompt for a preference)
hand chose what files to take from my old profile and place in my new profile
re-downloaded all my extensions

I haven't had any trouble yet with yahoo. I'm guessing my initial delete and re-install was not thorough enough and the update had written something to a remaining file in my profile.
Last edited by MozillaBlues on December 21st, 2016, 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
MozillaBlues

Post by MozillaBlues »

I'm afraid I spoke too soon. The crashes at yahoo persist.
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

MozillaBlues wrote:
Virtual_ManPL wrote:@ MozillaBlues - Your Firefox crashes with [@ mp4_demuxer::MP4Metadata::GetNumberTracks const ] signature, which were fixed started with Firefox 46.
Ok. So, then it is a bug that began with FF 46, was fixed in the normal version, but hasn't been fixed in the ESR?

Why does it persist even after deleting FF46 and re-installing FF45. I'm guessing I didn't do as thorough an uninstall as necessary. Do you know what file and location I need to delete, that would be altered during an update, but commonly overlooked during an uninstall? I trashed the preferences file, but that didn't help. Is there a particular file in my profile folder that would cause this? I can trash the whole thing and re-import/replace the files I want to keep, but without knowing which one is the culprit, I won't know which are safe to bring back in.

Thanks for posting the patch request.
I wrote that this bug was fixed in Firefox 46,
not that it appeared in Firefox 46.
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
MozillaBlues

Post by MozillaBlues »

Virtual_ManPL wrote: I wrote that this bug was fixed in Firefox 46,
not that it appeared in Firefox 46.
Gotcha. I read with a comma after the word 'fixed', like this:

Your Firefox crashes with [@ mp4_demuxer::MP4Metadata::GetNumberTracks const ] signature, which were fixed, started with Firefox 46.

It's funny...I was using the latest available regular version of FF (I think it was FF 48?) that worked with my system (without problems), but I was continually prompted at sites to upgrade to a more current version, which I couldn't do because of the OS I use. So, I switched to the earlier ESR version for bug fixes and security updates and what not. Now I have crashes.