browser suddenly going black, sometimes freezes

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
LMHmedchem

browser suddenly going black, sometimes freezes

Post by LMHmedchem »

Hello,

I am running windows XP on a box that has seamonkey 2.40. Lately, there have been times when all of the browser tabs go black. This includes pretty much everything in the browser. If I open bookmarks, that window is black as well. Sometimes the entire application freezes and I have to force kill it from the task manager. Sometimes I am able to close it normally. The email side seems unaffected, unless the app has frozen.

This seems to happen when I have a number of tabs open and am doing some searching. I have seen notations in the task bar about trying to load something from facebook.com. I run no-script and in most cases, all third party scripts are blocked. The last time this happened, I was searching for something on google and the search seemed to stop working. I pasted in something to search for and nothing happened when I clicked on search. Nothing was returned at all. I tried again and still nothing. Then I went to a new page and that was black and so was everything else.

This is fairly new. I haven't made any changes on this box in quite a while so I'm not sure what the issue may be.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

LMHmedchem
DanRaisch

Re: browser suddenly going black, sometimes freezes

Post by DanRaisch »

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
therube

Post by therube »

> when I have a number of tabs open

What is "a number"?
How much RAM are you using at these times?

Going black sounds like an OOM (out of memory) related issue.
(Note that if that occurs, you don't necessarily have to kill the browser, as you should be able to [blindly] quit, saving your session [assuming you do save sessions], with a Ctrl+Q + Return.)

See, http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3026153.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
LMHmedchem

Post by LMHmedchem »

DanRaisch wrote:Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
This has occurred to me maybe 4 or 5 times in the last month. It isn't predictable enough for me to have gone to safe mode or anything like that. I haven't seen much of a pattern with this yet, so I cannot intentionally reproduce the error yet. If I can figure out how to make this happen, I can then see if running in safe mode makes a difference.
therube wrote:> when I have a number of tabs open
What is "a number"? How much RAM are you using at these times?

Going black sounds like an OOM (out of memory) related issue.
(Note that if that occurs, you don't necessarily have to kill the browser, as you should be able to [blindly] quit, saving your session [assuming you do save sessions], with a Ctrl+Q + Return.)

See, http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3026153.
I have never seen seamonkey using more than about 500MB of RAM. I have plenty of RAM available so I don't think it's a hardware issue. I guess it could be an issue with the amount of RAM that seamonkey has allocated. My usage pattern has not changed in years, so I don't see how I would not have run out of RAM at some time in the past while using the same hardware and OS.

The times this has happened I have been doing some searching and might have 10-15 tabs open. When I am programming, I may have allot of stackexchange pages open from various searches. I have also had this happen when looking for some parts and again had allot of pages open from search results. None of this activity is new. I have had a comparable number of pages open many, many times doing the same type of work and have not had a problem until recently.

Thanks for the tip on the blind quit, I hadn't heard that before.

LMHmedchem
therube

Post by therube »

I have never seen seamonkey using more than about 500MB of RAM.
Then what I suspected is most likely not the issue.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
therube

Post by therube »

So if its not OOM, then check CPU the next time it happens.

If SeaMonkey is using 100% of 1-core, unending, maybe that could be part of the cause ... ?

(And at a time like that, you might have to be lucky to get a "free spot" where any action [like a Ctrl+Q] will have a chance of having an effect.)
De Kus

Post by De Kus »

The only time my SeaMonkey 2.46 build 9 goes black (like 50% of the time) is while playing videos (Youtube, Twitch) and playing a D3D game on the other monitor in borderless fullscreen.
De Kus

Love hurts, love strengthens...