2.46 Websites extremely slow to load

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
reziol

2.46 Websites extremely slow to load

Post by reziol »

I just recently updated to 2.46 from 2.40, and many sites are extremely slow to load. The only add-on I have running is AdBlock Plus. Sure, that could be slowing things down, but I had it running on 2.40 too.

I saw another topic about how 2.46 was running poorly, but that person's computer specs were quite old.

My specs:
Core i7-6700 (quad-core 3.4Ghz)
16 GB RAM
GigaByte GA-H170N-WIFI
Windows 10 Home x64

I'm able to play OverWatch at 70 fps and record my gameplay at 60 fps without the thing breaking a sweat, and I'm only using the i7-6700's built in Intel 530 HD graphics.

But SeaMonkey sits there as I try to load pages. Some of the worst offenders are Facebook, NewsVine, and Tumblr. But others seem slower to load too.
Frank Lion

Re: 2.46 Websites extremely slow to load

Post by Frank Lion »

reziol wrote:But SeaMonkey sits there as I try to load pages. Some of the worst offenders are Facebook, NewsVine, and Tumblr. But others seem slower to load too.
What anti-virus software are you using?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
reziol

Post by reziol »

Frank Lion wrote:
reziol wrote:But SeaMonkey sits there as I try to load pages. Some of the worst offenders are Facebook, NewsVine, and Tumblr. But others seem slower to load too.
What anti-virus software are you using?
Norton Security.

But the only change has been upgrading to 2.46 from 2.40
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

reziol wrote:I just recently updated to 2.46 from 2.40, and many sites are extremely slow to load. The only add-on I have running is AdBlock Plus.
For test create new profile and check:
1) sites loading times without ABPlus,
2) sites loading times with ABPlus (default filters),
3) sites loading times with ABPlus (import your own filter used in default profile).

If all three runs correct then something is wrong with your old profile.

I had similar situation (slow page loading; some of them only). When I compared preferences of my old and completely new profile then I discovered (too) many outdated/obsolete setting:
Menu -> Help -> Troubleshooting Information -> Important Modified Preferences
(it took some time to compare that way two profiles but it was worth it)

One thing was "special bad":
dom.ipc.plugins.asyncInit.enabled: true
I don't remember to change it in past but when I set default "false" then all problematic pages started to load faster than before. Especially those with Flash content. E.g. on speedtest.net PING was c.a. 145 ms while beta.speedtest.net (HTML5 version) was 25 ms to the same server. After changing above both version was fast (25-30 ms).

Other things were e.g.:
1) "gfx.crash-guard.glcontext.*" and "gfx.driver-init.*" (both from some old crash related to graphics; probably when hardware acceleration was enabled for my profile many SeaMonkey versions ago).
2) "network.http.max-connections-per-server: 64" but no entry in new profile so I removed it from old profile and websites seams to run a little faster.

Tests, tests, tests. There is no easy solution for such problems... #-o
--
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

reziol wrote:Norton Security.

But the only change has been upgrading to 2.46 from 2.40
Yep, and going right back to Firefox 0.8 this forum gets this after every version update. The new version has a new signature - https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-viru ... ure-153629 and this often seems to cause problems until the AV people update their definitions base and then the problem stops.

You'd think that the AV would stop the pages ever loading, but it seems they do load but very slowly. I seem to recall that you can manually add the hash signature to the AV (I'm on Linux, so my memory of AV stuff is rusty)

Anyway, have a search on the old posts here.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
webmoebius

Post by webmoebius »

reziol wrote:I just recently updated to 2.46 from 2.40, and many sites are extremely slow to load.
I also recently migrated from SM 2.40 to 2.46 and actually noticed the same problem with some specific sites. While I think that the newer version of the Mozilla Gecko browser engine has improved performance in page rendering, there's something that's causing some severe loading delays with some sites. My anti-virus is disabled and is not running live protect mode, only activated manually to scan files if necessary, and I have no other add on or plug ins that manipulate pages like Ad-Block, but I would agree that there's something that causing severe page load performance penalties on some sites. Not sure if it has anything to do with the browser engine's slower interaction with the permissions database, as it contains complex data to decide if cookies and images are accepted or blocked. My domains data file in Seamonkey has such a huge list compiled over time that when I go to the URL about:data, the script time out warning happens several times that I have to tell the script prompt to CONTINUE several times before the SM data manager will even be in ready mode. It's possible this may be causing the performance penalty in my case. I can't quite put a finger on it yet but there's definitely some major loading lags in some cases where there were absolutely none before with SM 2.40.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

webmoebius wrote:Not sure if it has anything to do with the browser engine's slower interaction with the permissions database, as it contains complex data to decide if cookies and images are accepted or blocked. My domains data file in Seamonkey has such a huge list compiled over time that when I go to the URL about:data, the script time out warning happens several times that I have to tell the script prompt to CONTINUE several times before the SM data manager will even be in ready mode. It's possible this may be causing the performance penalty in my case.
You can try SQLite Manager:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/seamon ... e-manager/
.. and check integrity and compact databases (make copies, just in case).

I propose to make a test:
1) create new profile
2) copy "prefs.js" file to it (and only this file)
3) check if websites (browser) reacts faster.
If it will be faster then you really could have some problem with SQLITE files (databases). If not and browser is "slow" like in you old/main profile then just "preferences" are borked (not databases).

I did above and removing some entries from "prefs.js" helped in may case.
--
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

webmoebius wrote:
reziol wrote:I just recently updated to 2.46 from 2.40, and many sites are extremely slow to load.
I also recently migrated from SM 2.40 to 2.46 and actually noticed the same problem with some specific sites.
Yep, have a good read of this - http://kb.mozillazine.org/Error_loading_websites

...especially the bit about the "EnumProcess" tool for Windows.

Who knows, your problem might be caused by something completely different, but one thing I do know after all this time here is that 90% of slow loading problems are caused by the stuff covered above. Which is sort of why a lot of people spent time writing it all.
Joschu

Post by Joschu »

reziol wrote:I just recently updated to 2.46 from 2.40, and many sites are extremely slow to load. The only add-on I have running is AdBlock Plus. Sure, that could be slowing things down, but I had it running on 2.40 too.
[...]
But SeaMonkey sits there as I try to load pages. Some of the worst offenders are Facebook, NewsVine, and Tumblr. But others seem slower to load too.
Hi
I investigated the problem after several users reported the issue.
All of them came with old profiles that were initially generated with Seamonkey 2.xx-2.3x.
After deleting the subfolders 'safebrowsing' and 'safebrowsing-backup' in their profiles, the problem went away.
During the next start, Seamonkey generates a new 'safebrowsing' folder.
Make sure you don't have a hung seamonkey-process in your process-list while perfoming the deletion and the restart.
Regards
JoSchu
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Thanks for the info, Jo.
Joschu wrote:After deleting the subfolders 'safebrowsing' and 'safebrowsing-backup' in their profiles, the problem went away.
This is quite surprising, not least because the safebrowsing folder is not in the user's normal profiles!....however, I know what you mean.

For XP, etc you'll find them here -

~/Documents and Settings/*username*/Local Settings/Application Data/Mozilla/SeaMonkey/Profiles/*some-gibberish-profile-name*/safebrowsing

For Linux users (hidden file) -

~/.cache/mozilla/seamonkey/*some-gibberish-profile-name*/safebrowsing

In both cases, if when you investigate you find more than one profile in the location, just make sure that the *some-gibberish-profile-name* there matches the 'name' of your profile in use, or you'll be clearing stuff associated to a different profile.

To find your profile in use - SM Menu > Help > Troubleshooting info > Open Folder/Directory/Whatever and the *some-gibberish-profile-name* will be displayed at the top of the file manager window that springs up, i.e. Windows Explorer, Nemo, Konqueror, PCManFM, etc.
Joschu

Post by Joschu »

Thanks for the information.
I guess I should have said 'Seamonkey-profile' instead of 'profile' - I mean the userfolder containing the prefs.js, etc.
I am targeting a lot of seamonkey-profiles that are centralized in the users' windows-homedrives, not the standard APPDATA locations you mentioned.
But thank you for pointing that out for other readers with standard windows profiles!
I am still monitoring the issue and hope everything stays calm now.
Otherwise I'll roll back to 2.40.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

I thought I disabled it in preferences but it looks likes little google spy is still active. Damn! #-o

How to completely disable safe browsing in SeaMonkey? Parameter "browser.safebrowsing.enabled" is set to "false" by prefs but it's not enough. What else? ](*,)
--
Joschu

Post by Joschu »

TPR75, please note that THIS IS NOT A SUGGESTED SOLUTION yet:
I currently run a lab-test with the following lockPrefs:
lockPref("browser.safebrowsing.enabled", false);
lockPref("browser.safebrowsing.blockedURIs.enabled", false);
lockPref("browser.safebrowsing.downloads.enabled", false);
lockPref("browser.safebrowsing.downloads.remote.enabled", false);
lockPref("browser.safebrowsing.malware.enabled", false);
lockPref("services.sync.prefs.sync.browser.safebrowsing.enabled", false);
lockPref("services.sync.prefs.sync.browser.safebrowsing.malware.enabled", false);
Even with this setting, a safebrowsing-folder is generated and some files are loaded into it.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

You need to actually blank out the URLs (every browser.safebrowsing.provider.* pref with a value that looks like a URL)
sinip

Post by sinip »

Just to add my 2 Euro cents on this.

I'm back to Seamonkey 2.40 because 2.46 is painfully slow on quite a lot of sites.

My PC is i3 with 8 Gigs RAM and Win 10 x64.

I do use NoScript with Seamonkey and the profile in use is being dragged on since the beginning of version 2 or so (if it matters).