My 'new mail' features seem messed up :/

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
Double

My 'new mail' features seem messed up :/

Post by Double »

Hi, I'm having problems with getting notifications to my Important inbox. When an incoming email arrives, an empty box appears in the top right corner of my monitor, and disappears as soon as it arrives--within less than a second. The email never appears in the list.. so to refresh it, I have to click on another folder (e.g. Chats), and then back into it.

Is there a way to fix this problem, so that when an email comes in, the list is refreshed and the notification actually shows something? I don't think I've altered any settings, but I can't remember.
DanRaisch

Re: My 'new mail' features seem messed up :/

Post by DanRaisch »

That sounds like a Windows issue if it's at the top right of your screen. Still, use menu path Tools->Options->Advanced->General->click on the "Config Editor" button->enter "alerts.totalOpenTime" into the filter field. Right click on the entry when it is displayed and increase the value of that setting to double or triple the current value.
Double

Post by Double »

Thanks for your help, I set it to 30000. I will try that out and see what happens. I'm on Windows 10, that bubble has always appeared in the top-right corner? I just wish it would actually show something inside it.. it may not be appearing long enough.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I'm running Windows 10 and don't see anything in a bubble at top right of the screen when new mail arrives. Where do you have the Window taskbar displayed, at the bottom of the screen or at the top?
Double

Post by Double »

DanRaisch wrote:I'm running Windows 10 and don't see anything in a bubble at top right of the screen when new mail arrives. Where do you have the Window taskbar displayed, at the bottom of the screen or at the top?
I have the taskbar set at the top.

Also, I've been testing the solution you gave, but it didn't make any noticeable difference. I'm going to undo the change I made, as I don't really know what it did.
Double

Post by Double »

Bump, please help.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
Double

Post by Double »

I haven't tried Safe Mode yet. I should mention that I get notifications when emails hit the Inbox, which is rare because I have filtered everything so that the Inbox is always empty. The Important folder is my main inbox.. I never use the Inbox ever.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're seeing the bubble at top right because you have the task bar set to display at the top. The bubble is displayed at the location of the task bar. The announcement is not to say that there is a new message in the Inbox but that a new message has been received. What you have set TB to do with those new incoming messages will only take place after the messages arrive and the announcement is displayed.