Mail Doesn't Check For Messages

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Kenneth B

Mail Doesn't Check For Messages

Post by Kenneth B »

On a fresh install of SM 2.46 in WIN 10, "check for new messages at startup", "check for new messages every 10 Minutes", and "automatically download new messages" do not work when checked. Get messages works fine. What is missing?
TPR75

Re: Mail Doesn't Check For Messages

Post by TPR75 »

Your User Agent looks a little bit different from default one (under Windows 10):
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:49.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/49.0 SeaMonkey/2.46

Do you use some extensions to change it? What extensions and plugins do you have? I'm asking because you can make a test and run SM in safe mode:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
... to test/check if some extension is messing with "check for new messages" function.

If it doesn't work in Safe Mode then maybe plugins are messing with config so you could disabled them or set to "ask to activate".

If there still is that problem then create new profile (just for test) and configure your e-mail account from scratch. But remember to set "Leave messages on server" option or you'll "lost them".
--
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

TPR75 wrote:Your User Agent looks a little bit different from default one (under Windows 10):
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:49.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/49.0 SeaMonkey/2.46
Their UA looks default. They just have a 32-bit Windows.

The UA you posted is for a 32-bit SeaMonkey running on 64-bit Windows.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

barbaz wrote:
TPR75 wrote:Your User Agent looks a little bit different from default one (under Windows 10):
Their UA looks default. They just have a 32-bit Windows.

The UA you posted is for a 32-bit SeaMonkey running on 64-bit Windows.
32-bit operating system and it's not WinXP?! What kind of sorcery is this...? :wink:

Right. I forgot about this... #-o
--
Kenneth B

Post by Kenneth B »

There are no extensions installed. Does not work in Safe Mode. "Leave messages on server" does not work. Is there something less risky than a new profile to do?
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Kenneth B wrote:Is there something less risky than a new profile to do?
Trust me the alternative is far more risky. Do note that the new profile is totally separate from your existing profile.

If your concern is that you have POP email accounts and might lose emails doing this, also see this post by DanRaisch - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14713491

Are the affected email account(s) set up as POP, IMAP, or some of each?
frg

Post by frg »

How are you notifications set under Settings (the new ugly ones) -> SYSTEM -> Notifications & actions?
Kenneth B

Post by Kenneth B »

I only have 1 POP account.
I may not respond for awhile, because I am moving the computer to a new location so I can do an external backup.
Where do I find change logs?
frg

Post by frg »

>> I only have 1 POP account.

Doesn't matter. It might have to do with the Windows 10 taskbar settings so you need to check them there under Windows Settings (not in SeaMonkey).

FRG
Kenneth B

Post by Kenneth B »

Thanks to all, but a new profile did not fix the problem. I guess I can live with the issue and hope a later update will fix it.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Kenneth B wrote:Thanks to all, but a new profile did not fix the problem. I guess I can live with the issue and hope a later update will fix it.
There should be no issue. It should work "just like that". There are other Win10 users and you're only one who reports problem with automatic message receive function.

Is your account configuration similar to this example?

When you hit button "receive new messages" then after 10 minutes there are no new messages in you inbox, right? I'm not asking about notification on taskbar or systray. Is there anything inside of Inbox folder (after 10 minutes or more)? I assume there are new messages in you e-mail account (sent for test from e.g. your other e-mail address/account).
--
Kenneth B

Post by Kenneth B »

Yes, except I normally only have Check for new messages at startup checked. At Seamonkey launch, it never reports any messages available.
Get Messages always works.
This is a fresh install that had this problem from day one.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Kenneth B wrote:I normally only have Check for new messages at startup checked.
This will work if you marked "remember password" for this mail account. And it will work one time only... if you choose "Automatically download new messages". If not then messages will be checked but not downloaded... :-"
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_: ... d_Messages
--
Kenneth B

Post by Kenneth B »

It always remembers the password; I never have to enter it. "check for new messages every 10 Minutes", and "automatically download new messages" do not work when checked either.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Kenneth B wrote:It always remembers the password; I never have to enter it. "check for new messages every 10 Minutes", and "automatically download new messages" do not work when checked either.
Reinstall SeaMonkey (it will not delete your profile):
uninstall -> restart Windows -> enable admin privileges (or disable UAC) for installer ( click RMB and choose "Run as Admin") -> install SM -> restart Windows -> run SeaMonkey (your old/previous profile will be started) and check if it works correct.

Hmm... Do you have any additional (to Microsoft) antivirus, firewall/security software? Maybe it interferes with SeaMonkey?
--