How to get the total number of msgs in an account?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
pstover

How to get the total number of msgs in an account?

Post by pstover »

Assume I have defined an account in the past with a big/huge messages folder tree.
Currently there must be around 10000 emails spread all over these folders.

How can I find out the exact (!) number of messages?

....of cause with out adding manually all the numbers shown behind all these message folders.

Peter
DanRaisch

Re: How to get the total number of msgs in an account?

Post by DanRaisch »

As far as I am aware you can't do that without adding up the folder counts. Because Thunderbird stores the messages in each folder in a separate file, the total number of messages in an account is not relevant as far as Thunderbird is concerned.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Look in the lower right corner of the main window. It displays the number of messages in the currently selected folder. You can also click on the weird little square control at the far right of the column header for the folder pane (just to the right of "Size") and select "Total".

If you want a total message count for your entire profile and have too many folders to total the individual message counts, create a saved search folder per http://kb.mozillazine.org/Saved_Search that includes every folder in every account. That virtual folder will have a message count that equals the total number of messages in your profile.
DN123ABC

Post by DN123ABC »

There is an extension at http://tbstats.sourceforge.net/ which may do something like that. It is old and probably out of date, so you may want to try this in a copy or test profile. Good luck.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

A FWIW...
From that ^ "tbstats...." link, Lee mentions another extension that may suit.
Never used it so....?
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde ... src=search
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I tried installing tbstats (the sourceforge add-on) and got a error about it not being compatible. I edited the install.rdf file in the *.xpi file using 7-zip to set the minimum version to 28 and the maximum version to 50.*. Installing it added a tools -> statistics menu command. Works fine. I have 3550 messages.

You could also try installing the disable add-on compatibility checks add-on and then ignore the warning (its not a error) when you install tbstats.
DN123ABC

Post by DN123ABC »

Cool. Is there a way you could post that modified version, so others could use it?
pstover

Post by pstover »

Thank you, but TbStats does NOT cumulate the number and the size of messages of each corresponding message folder tree.

Its only flat counting :-(
Not very useful.