Bing

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
journeyman4

Re: Bing

Post by journeyman4 »

FAO Grumous, the edmeister,
Right I have gone through the process that Grumpus gave me, Ive done it again, as befor when I type in Bing it is still now a blank page. But Ive scrolled through all the scripts listed, and this is what it says;
Browser Search Order 1 Default String Google
-----"---------"---------- 2 Default String Yahoo
------"--------2----------3 User set String Google (this is in bold black letters)
US.1 default String data:text/plainbrowser, search.order.us.1 Yahoo
us.2 Is the same as above but the last word is Google
us.3 Userset String Google (this is in bold black letters)

I then looked at Browser. search. Selected Engine User set String Google (this is also in bold black letters)

does any of this make sense to you guys?
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
You might like to try searching &/or asking at their forum.
Seems as though Bing may not be "removable."

ref; > https://www.tenforums.com/gtsearch.php? ... x=0&sa.y=0
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

@journeyman4 - when you get into about:config type the word "search" instead of bing.
This will bring up all of the search options.
The three items you changed have support items, a longer string value and at the end of the string is a search engine name.
This is not always picked up in a search using just the search engines name due to preceding characters.
There also appears to be a syntax issue in some cases so note the way each search engine is shown.
Remember to take notes.
Here's are examples of how support strings should look:
browser.search.defaultenginename.US;data:text/plain,browser.search.defaultenginename.US=Google
browser.search.order.US.1;data:text/plain,browser.search.order.US.1=Google

Note Google has first letter capitalized.
You may also want to look at translate and content provider while in about:config.
browser.translation.engine should be Google
browser.contentHandlers.types.0.title default would be My Yahoo, try blanking it if it shows Bing
(reset will return default value if needed)
Look also at the url string used for providing the search engines. browser.search.searchEnginesURL
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
journeyman4

Post by journeyman4 »

Hi again many thanks, right after doing what you have said here are the results:
Browser.search.order.1 default string Google
------"-------"--------- 2 default string Yahoo.co.uk
-------"-------"--------3 user set string google ( this in bold black letters, i have used capitals where shown in config)

US.1 default string data:text/plain,Browser.search.order.US.1=Yahoo
US.2 Same as above but ends with =Google
US.3 user set string then same as above (only in bold black letters)

On my list that came up in config i did not have browser.translation.engine nor did i have browser.contentHandlers

But browser.search.searchEngines url shows default string https:/addons.mozilla.org/%LOCALE%/firefox/search-engines/

What I have typed there is exactly as it appears on my screen the word bing is no where to be seen but it still keeps coming.!!!!
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

the-edmeister wrote:My guess is that some type of Malware is changing the default back to Bing when Windows is restarted or on a cold boot and that is happening thru Windows thence to Firefox.
Yep, agreed, and fannying about in about:config's lousy 'advice' likely to make things worse. When all else fails..sure.
@FWIW the OP still hasn't acknowledged trying Safe Mode.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

To all: Would/could the possibility Firefox might not be the OP's default browser cause this problem?
Safe-mode might be worth a shot but it would maintain the same search engines provided during the install as default.
Would be a good thing to know where the update for Firefox or the install came from.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

El Grumpo,
Just an eg;....
None of my Firefox versions are set as the default.
Any external links open fine in whichever one I'm running.

I still reckon that it's a WIN 10 error.
Their forum has a heap of requests for changing the search engines with varied results.
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

journeyman4

Post by journeyman4 »

Ive been on win10 forum and all i get there is them telling me to make sure google is still default no one seems to know.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

As "mightyglydd" mentioned a few posts up...
@FWIW the OP still hasn't acknowledged trying Safe Mode.
Firefox Safe Mode > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_Mode

journeyman4

Post by journeyman4 »

Hey guys Ive done it Bloody Eureka. I changed my home page to that of my browser, Firefox instead of home page google, typed a couple of different things into search bar, and they came up back in google, so then I went back to google homepage typed in the same things up it came back as bloody bing, so I went back to FF home page, saw a button to refresh FF this i clicked on took about a minute, then went back to google home page, typed in some different stuff and bingo all back to normal, so it seems there was some issue with the relationship between FF and google, and refresh did the trick, so thanks for all your help guys, its not been in vain as you might have also now learned something as I have. Thanks.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Glad you found some answers. So to confuse the issue further ;)
You can use /Tools/Options/General and change When Firefox starts to show a blank page and Homepage to about:blank.
This should start Firefox clean except for anything automatic you have in your Option settings.
For future reference. Good Luck
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Grumpus wrote:So to confuse the issue further ;)
As usual... :roll:
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

@mightyglydd - Nothing to do with tinfoil, just a clean start.