Copy protect

Discussion of features in Seamonkey
bhurter

Copy protect

Post by bhurter »

In Seamonkey, is there a way to "copy protect" emails you send so that the email cannot be forwarded to others?
DanRaisch

Re: Copy protect

Post by DanRaisch »

I would say "No", but that's not a limitation of SeaMonkey but of email in general. Think of sending a hard copy message. Once the message is received, control of that message is in the hands of the recipient and the applications they use to access the message. If nothing else, the recipient could always copy the text from the message and send it on in a new message, or take a screen shot of their email client or webmail page and send that.
bhurter

Post by bhurter »

Dan, thanks for your reply and it it basically what I expected. Reason for my question was that I have a client who has a bug about confidentiality who asked me to do it for my emails. He sent me an email using another software that he claimed was "copy protect" (supposedly a feature of that software) but I forwarded to two of my other email addresses and so told him it didn't work!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

LOL. Lord save us from folks who "know" how things work better than we do...but don't!!
frg

Post by frg »

You can do it with IBM/Lotus Notes internally but as soon as you send it to an external address you can forget it.

Stupid feature anyway. Just do screenshots and post pictures. Poof there goes your copy protection.

FRG