Persistent Success! Screen days after a Refresh

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
UnknownVT

Persistent Success! Screen days after a Refresh

Post by UnknownVT »

Keep getting this Success! screen every time FireFox (50.1.0) is started. (Windows 7 Version : 6.01.7601 Service Pack 1)
The Refresh was done Monday, ‎January ‎02, ‎2017, ‏‎1:02:45 PM - so this is over 9 days ago.

Realize this is only an annoyance -
BUT is there a way of getting rid of it?

Thank you,

Vincent
dfoulkes

Re: Persistent Success! Screen days after a Refresh

Post by dfoulkes »

I've never refreshed... I stay away from it and if I need to fix something that warranted a refresh... I'd create a new profile first and then move stuff... anyway, you might just click that Restore only the ones you want button and when/if it asks more questions just get out of it them... know what I mean?
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
UnknownVT

Post by UnknownVT »

dfoulkes wrote:I've never refreshed... I stay away from it and if I need to fix something that warranted a refresh... I'd create a new profile first and then move stuff... anyway, you might just click that Restore only the ones you want button and when/if it asks more questions just get out of it them... know what I mean?
Thank you - with hindsight, that is what I should have done.

Unfortunately that does not help to get rid of that persistent Success! screen....
any ideas please?

Thanks.

Vincent
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Have you checked the settings for home page under Tools->Options->General->When Firefox starts? Try opening the page you want to use as your home page in a new tab and then close the tab with that "Success" screen. Om that General settings click on the "Use current pages" button. Close and restart Firefox.
UnknownVT

Post by UnknownVT »

DanRaisch wrote:Have you checked the settings for home page under Tools->Options->General->When Firefox starts? Try opening the page you want to use as your home page in a new tab and then close the tab with that "Success" screen. Om that General settings click on the "Use current pages" button. Close and restart Firefox.
Thanks for that suggestion.

I have "Show my windows and tab from last time" set for when FireFox starts (I've used that setting for years).

That Success! notice/screen usually only lasts a few seconds -
(so it was difficult getting that screenshot, it was only because I had temporary network problems that the screen stayed up)
so I don't normally have to close it, seems to show on whichever tab that FireFox was on from when I last closed it.

Thank you.

Vincent
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Looking back at that screen-show... I don't see that as a tab... is that what you see? .... I also see something from Mail.Google.com ... is that what you see? ... strange it is...

A couple things to try then....

Change that setting that Dan mentions to Show blank page... close out Firefox, start it up... what do you get?

...also do this...then let us know what you get.

Try running Firefox in safe-mode... NOTE: This is a testing procedure only ... NOT for normal browsing.
-- On the menu bar, click the Help menu and select Restart with Add-ons Disabled....
Firefox will start up with the Firefox Safe Mode dialog. Click continue in Safe Mode and don't check any items.

Note: You can also start Firefox in Safe Mode by holding down the shift key while Single/Double clicking on the icon.
* (option key while starting Firefox on Mac).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>What safe-mode does ..... Safe Mode temporarily affects the following:
* All extensions are disabled. --- * The userChrome.css and userContent.css files are ignored.
* The default theme is used, without a persona. --- * The default toolbar layout is used.
* The Just-in-time (JIT) JavaScript compiler is disabled. --- * Hardware acceleration is disabled.

-- Safe Mode has no effect on the following --
* The status of plugins is not affected.
* Custom preferences are not affected.

This is the link to the main KB article for Safe-Mode ... but, use the above info 1st...
Safe Mode - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
UnknownVT

Post by UnknownVT »

dfoulkes wrote:Looking back at that screen-show... I don't see that as a tab... is that what you see? .... I also see something from Mail.Google.com ... is that what you see? ... strange it is...

A couple things to try then....

Change that setting that Dan mentions to Show blank page... close out Firefox, start it up... what do you get?
Thank you so much for continuing to help.

The reason you did not see tabs is because I cropped the screenshot just to show the Success! screen - I left the address bar in to show that tab should have been my gmail page.

Anyway what you suggested allowed me to find what I think was the cause -
so a BIG THANK YOU!

So changing to Blank Page start does get a start with a blank page...
BUT when I hit my homepage icon I got these tabs -

That obviously did not look right.

So I re-looked the homepage url in Options>General and found it was:
https://outlook.live.com/owa/|about&#05 ... WABInstall

Those extra urls was what gave those extra tabs...
I don't know how that got set - but don't forget I had refreshed FireFox and had to re-set lots of things including my homepage...

So I checked FireFox was set to blank page start, closed it and reopened - and manually entered the url for what I wanted for my homepage and set that as the homepage in Options>General
That's when I noticed it said use Current pageS (plural) so it must have been when I set my homepage all those other tabs were open.....
including the one that would show the Success! screen (the welcome back?)

Anyway I added back all my usual tabs, set Options>General back to "Show my windows and tabs from last time"
closed and reopened and viola! no more Success! screen -
So I think I've solved my problem.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Thank you,

Vincent
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

That's when I noticed it said use Current pageS (plural)
No, it always says "pages" in the plural, even with a totally new, out of the box installation.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

UnknownVT wrote:So I think I've solved my problem.
Success!
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

UnknownVT wrote: Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Thank you,

Vincent
You're welcome... and as Dan posted that Pages has always been that way... so what probably happened is that when you first set up your home page you probably had a number of tabs opened and saved them as Home page....
...it happens.
UnknownVT

Post by UnknownVT »

DanRaisch wrote:
That's when I noticed it said use Current pageS (plural)
No, it always says "pages" in the plural, even with a totally new, out of the box installation.
dfoulkes wrote:... and as Dan posted that Pages has always been that way... so what probably happened is that when you first set up your home page you probably had a number of tabs opened and saved them as Home page....
...it happens.
Thank you.

Correct.

All this time I had assumed it was singular, when it was actually plural.

However it does still beg the question of:
why when I have "Show my windows and tabs from last time" set -
that would be relevant, when I haven't use the Home link icon at the start of FireFox?
But it did appear to matter.

Thanks,

Vincent
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

I have no clue what it did that... based on what you last posted... but post back here in the event it happens again and
we will work with you on it.