Can't play Vimeo videos

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
James

Re: Can't play Vimeo videos

Post by James »

If you can play HTML5 video then all should be checked blue on https://www.youtube.com/html5/

If not then do you have Windows 7 N or KN versions? as they do not come with needed media packs.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/fi ... ox-windows
quickquestion wrote:Yup. I can easily get youtube vids to play by simply clicking the time bar (or whatever you call it). No reason why Vimeo shouldn't work the same, but they won't implement a solution.
You sure it is not the Flash Player being used on Youtube?
quickquestion

Post by quickquestion »

James, all boxes are checked blue on that link. But that's for youtube and I can play youtube video. I suspect that Vimeo might just not have a good way to play with "media.autoplay.enabled" set to "true".

I will check into the version and media packs and report back.

The last question I guess I don't understand it/the ramifications.
quickquestion

Post by quickquestion »

I have Windows 7 Professional.
BrowseMail

Post by BrowseMail »

On my Windows XP PC I find that videos play on Vimeo, however, it isn't possible to seek to a certain part of any video that hasn't yet been loaded. If I attempt to seek to a specific place in a video the user interface updates accordingly, but the video starts to play from the beginning! Then frustratingly there is no way to get back to the original position. Has anyone else noticed this and is there a workaround? I'm curious to know why it happens...

Actually, on XP I find a similar problem with other sites were it isn't possible to seek to a specific part of a video that has not loaded (Vimeo is the only site I've found that starts playing from the beginning though).

I have not experienced these issues on my Windows 7 PC or Android tablet. Using latest Firefox release in all cases.
quickquestion

Post by quickquestion »

BrowseMail, may I request you start a new thread, rather than piggy-backing on what's likely a separate issue? I'm really hoping to get this resolved, and it dilutes that effort to have tangential info posted.
BrowseMail

Post by BrowseMail »

quickquestion wrote:BrowseMail, may I request you start a new thread, rather than piggy-backing on what's likely a separate issue? I'm really hoping to get this resolved, and it dilutes that effort to have tangential info posted.
Okay, I have posted a new thread here:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3026563

Hope that you can get your issue resolved.
quickquestion

Post by quickquestion »

I hope so, too; thanks!

So, to recap, Vimeo videos won't play at all with "media.autoplay.enabled" set to 'false'. YouTube can deal with this, but for some reason, the Vimeo team have not implemented a solution (or at least one that I've been able to find). I'd like to view Vimeo videos, but only if I can do so without resorting to autoplay.

My computer is running Windows 7 Professional and Firefox 50.

All help appreciated!
quickquestion

Post by quickquestion »

I finally figured out a way to contact Vimeo without having to sign up my email for an account; here's the response I received:

Jacob G. (Vimeo Support)
Jan 12, 10:07 AM EST

Hi there,

Thank you for getting in touch about this issue.

We are aware of the issue you are describing, and have contacted Firefox about it. Our engineers are waiting on a fix from their end; once that is complete, we can update our system to handle this preference selection.

I'm sorry that we can't provide a more immediate solution. I'll send out another notice once this issue has been resolved. Thank you for your patience and understanding in the meantime.

_____

Is it true that the fix needs to come from Firefox? I would have thought it's Vimeo's responsibility to provide a work-around for "media.autoplay.enabled" set to 'false'. It seems YouTube found a way to accommodate that setting, or has Firefox implemented a solution for them but not V.?

The other reason I'm skeptical is this has been a problem for well over a year, and through well over 7 versions of Firefox.
therube

Post by therube »

XP, FF50.
media.autoplay.enabled;false
URL: https://vimeo.com/66620530

Plays for me, Flash.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
MarkRH

Post by MarkRH »

therube wrote:XP, FF50.
media.autoplay.enabled;false
URL: https://vimeo.com/66620530

Plays for me, Flash.
That specific link plays fine for me with FF51 in Windows 7 Pro 64bit regardless of that setting. The video doesn't auto-play as I suspect it's not enabled in the HTML5 player (I turn it off on the players on my website).