Firefox – Android

Talk about Mozilla browsers for small devices such as PDAs and cellphones.
eager to learn

Firefox – Android

Post by eager to learn »

I’ve got a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 tablet running Android Version 4.2.2

I wanted to download and install the Android Version of FF so I can download YouTube videos to the tablet.

I read a quick post about using keepvid.com with FF-Android to download YouTube videos.

Can you please share the link to the Android Version of FF so I can download that to my tablet?

Do I then download and install the keepvid.com application?

Is the FF-Android version located at keepvid.com or would it be on Mozillazine somewhere?

Is there a trick to making the keepvid.com application work with FF – Android?

Thanks so much.
makaiguy

Re: Firefox – Android

Post by makaiguy »

To get the Android version of Firefox, just use the Play Store app installed on your tablet and search for Firefox. Download and install like any other Play Store app.

Don't know anything about keepvid - whether it's any good, or whether it's secure. Doesn't seem to be available from the Play Store, which to me is a cause for caution. You can download its mobile version (an .apk file) from the keepvid.com website. They give instructions on how to install the .apk file.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
eager to learn

Post by eager to learn »

Hi makaiguy,

Is there an add-on like Ant Video Downloader (used for FF - Windows) for FF - Android?

That would seem safer than using some product unrelated to FF.

Unless, you've discovered a better way to download YouTube videos with your Android tablet?

Thank you!
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Do not use ANT it has always had a bad reputation
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Can't help -- I never have tried to download and save YouTube videos on my tablet.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
James

Post by James »

eager to learn wrote:Can you please share the link to the Android Version of FF so I can download that to my tablet?

Is the FF-Android version located at keepvid.com or would it be on Mozillazine somewhere?

Is there a trick to making the keepvid.com application work with FF – Android?
See https://www.mozilla.org/firefox/android/ where there is a link to Google Play and to download the apk for manual install.

*.mozillaZine.org is a independent site that is not a part of nor run by www.mozilla.org as you can also see on bottom part of right sidebar.

A place to find Extensions made for the Android version of Fx is at https://addons.mozilla.org/android/ and like for desktop Fx the vast majority of Extensions hosted on A.M.O are by a third-party author or company. A Mozilla made Extension would have say Mozilla or Mozilla Labs as the author for example.
eager to learn

Post by eager to learn »

Hi James,

Thanks for all your help.

I found this .. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/androi ... ostpopular - but because it displays the author is Paul Saint that means it's by a 3rd party and *not* a Mozilla made Extension, correct?

If so, are there places to read reviews of this 3rd Party add-on to read how others have found how well it works and is trustworthy?

Thank you again.
James

Post by James »

Scroll down on that page for the reviews ;)
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

eager to learn wrote:Hi James,

Thanks for all your help.

I found this .. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/androi ... ostpopular - but because it displays the author is Paul Saint that means it's by a 3rd party and *not* a Mozilla made Extension, correct?

If so, are there places to read reviews of this 3rd Party add-on to read how others have found how well it works and is trustworthy?

Thank you again.
Actually... I don't know of any extensions made by Mozilla... but I suppose that there are a few....if you look at the extensions you currently have in your PC install of Firefox... check out the authors... I'll bet none of them are created by Mozilla.

Here is another down-loader for Android...
Firefox for Android Android Add-ons
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
James

Post by James »

dfoulkes wrote:Actually... I don't know of any extensions made by Mozilla... but I suppose that there are a few...
https://addons.mozilla.org/android/user ... bs5133025/
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/user ... bs5133025/
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/user/mozilla/
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Thanks...now I know... but knowing me I'll forget by tomorrow... Knowing me. :lol:
Last edited by dfoulkes on January 20th, 2017, 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
eager to learn

Post by eager to learn »

James,

My apologies. There are 47 reviews with some interesting posts including an advisory that this add-on seems to work best with .mp4 and .webm files.

I'm trying to download a .flv file so I'll experiment to see how well it handles that.

Thanks so much for your help and patience.
eager to learn

Post by eager to learn »

Hi mates,

The update is I successfully installed the Android FF on that tablet and then installed https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/androi ... ostpopular

I clicked on a YouTube video and watched as it downloaded and said download was complete.

However, when I visited "Videos" on the tablet I saw 2 for the day from YouTube (not named by artist nor song title but rather just something link nb1 and nb2).

When I clicked on both I get the same error message that it could not play either of them.

Is there a special player needed to play YouTube videos downloaded via FF-Android to an Android tablet?

Also, would anyone know how to place the FF icon on the opening screen (desktop?) of an Android tablet?

Thanks so very much.
eager to learn

Post by eager to learn »

Hi MakaiGuy,

I followed your directions - Namely, I clicked on Play Store app installed on the tablet and searched for Firefox. I then downloaded and installed it and when I visit a video site and clicked download with the FF android it says it's downloading but I never find any downloaded file.

Is there any way in FF - Android to *choose* which Folder I want a video to be downloaded to?

In Windows FF, under I think Tools or Options, you can place a check-mark next to "Ask me where I want to download a file to."

Thank you.

makaiguy wrote:To get the Android version of Firefox, just use the Play Store app installed on your tablet and search for Firefox. Download and install like any other Play Store app.

Don't know anything about keepvid - whether it's any good, or whether it's secure. Doesn't seem to be available from the Play Store, which to me is a cause for caution. You can download its mobile version (an .apk file) from the keepvid.com website. They give instructions on how to install the .apk file.
isaacschemm

Post by isaacschemm »

On my phone (Asus Zenfone) downloads go to /sdcard/Download (despite the name, it's actually the internal storage, not the SD card.)