FF can’t establish a connection to the server at www.google.

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
cbwilsha

FF can’t establish a connection to the server at www.google.

Post by cbwilsha »

Started getting this message yesterday when trying a Google Search. I've been trying multiple solutions found on the internet but can't fix. I have 3 other laptops using FF and Google Search works just fine on them. Among many things tried were a full Malwarebytes scan and a Windows Defender scan which found nothing. I would greatly appreciate any help getting my Google Search ability back.

C.B.
DanRaisch

Re: FF can’t establish a connection to the server at www.goo

Post by DanRaisch »

Clear the browser cache (use menu path Tools->Options->Advanced->Network tab->click on "Clear Now" button.)

Delete any cookies relating to the site(s) involved (Tools->Options->Privacy->Firefox will "Use custom settings for History"->Show Cookies button).
cbwilsha

Post by cbwilsha »

Thank you very much for your response, Dan. I did as you suggest and still get the same message when attempting to access Google. That is the only website where that happens!

C.B.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

What Dan suggested normally clears out problem with single-sites... but???

This test is a pretty fast one... create a test profile and use it as-is for the test... then let us know.

Creating a new Firefox profile on Windows - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
And,.... DON'T TOUCH THAT "Choose Folder..." BUTTON! ... unless you fully know all about it.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
cbwilsha

Post by cbwilsha »

That solution, unfortunately, doesn't work either for me. Still have same problem! Thanks very much for your help though.

C.B. 8-[
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

cbwilsha wrote: I have 3 other laptops using FF and Google Search works just fine on them.
C.B.
Have you tried IE for that search issue?

Are all those above mentioned systems on the same network?

The search engine StartPage is a front end to Google searching... have you tried that just to see if it works?
StartPage Search Engine

I understand that with Win10 it's much more work to reboot a PC into safe-mode for trying these kind of problems out... but that might be what is needed.
cbwilsha

Post by cbwilsha »

Tried I.E. and Edge and both have same problem. Yes, all my computers are on same system. Using the Start Page Search Engine DOES work normally. So, what does that tell us? BTW, was significantly delayed in answering because FF didn't accept my password I've been using all day!!! Finally went to a different computer to answer you.

C.B.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Welllll... you obviously have some issue with your problem computer... since all browsers had the same problem with that Google search. As you can see StartPage uses its own URL to call on Google for the search so it's pretty evident that something in your system is blocking that Google URL ... is MalwareBytes the only AV software that you use?

I believe that this Topic should be in the MozillaZine Tech and others who visit that section may have some answers....

When you get a chance you might want to try that system reboot into safe-mode with Network active...to see if Google works.
BTW, was significantly delayed in answering because FF didn't accept my password I've been using all day
That may also be some indication of 'something' .... let us know what running AV software you use.
cbwilsha

Post by cbwilsha »

I also use Widows Defender and have run a Full Scan in addition to Malwarebytes. I'm installing a new Build of Windows 10 as we speak so will await any further investigation until later. I greatly appreciate all the help you have provided me.

C.B.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

You're Welcome! :D

Please update with the results... it may help others.
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

Removed Bad Info
Last edited by JayhawksRock on January 19th, 2017, 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Jayhawks, I'm not seeing a list of browsers after following that path. Are there additional steps after "Network Connections" to view active/available browsers?
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

DanRaisch wrote:Jayhawks, I'm not seeing a list of browsers after following that path. Are there additional steps after "Network Connections" to view active/available browsers?
You are Correct :( :oops: :oops: I will kill my post
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

No harm, no foul.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Off to the Tech. forum...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)