Unable to Import/Export Bookmarks

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
marlowe23

Unable to Import/Export Bookmarks

Post by marlowe23 »

On a Windows 7 machine trying various versions of Firefox from 30-50, I am unable to import or export bookmarks. I go to bookmarks library, click import and Backup, and when I click either "Import Bookmarks from Html" or "Export Bookmarks from Html" nothing happens, the title bar will flash momentarily but neither the Import Bookmarks File window or the Export Bookmarks File window opens. The options to Backup, Restore, or Import Data from another Browser do work.

Neither Firefox in safe mode or reinstalling Firefox solves the problem. However import/export works fine with Cyberfox and also works fine with Firefox on an old Xp machine. I am out of ideas. Any help?
dfoulkes

Re: Unable to Import/Export Bookmarks

Post by dfoulkes »

Those non-working functions should just be calling up Windows file-explorer ...

Have you gone into your Windows Control panel and checked out what you have in the 'Set program access and Computer defaults'? I'd say look around in that area to see if anything looks wrong...

Also, what happens if you create a test profile... use it as-is but save a few bookmarks and then see if you can do that Export part...

Creating a new Firefox profile on Windows - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
And,.... DON'T TOUCH THAT "Choose Folder..." BUTTON! ... unless you fully know all about it.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
marlowe23

Post by marlowe23 »

Thanks for the reply. Same thing happens with the test profile and I've looked at all the default access and nothing seems amiss. However I believe you are correct that the problem is connected with Windows file-explorer. I''ve booted into Windows safe mode and the import/export works fine. Although a hassle the safe mode solution at least gives me a route to import/export. I'm not seeing any other Windows explorer issues and searching the net is not revealing people with similar problems. Any further thoughts on how to fix this via Windows rather than Firefox?
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

marlowe23 wrote:Thanks for the reply. Same thing happens with the test profile and I've looked at all the default access and nothing seems amiss. However I believe you are correct that the problem is connected with Windows file-explorer. I''ve booted into Windows safe mode and the import/export works fine. Although a hassle the safe mode solution at least gives me a route to import/export. I'm not seeing any other Windows explorer issues and searching the net is not revealing people with similar problems. Any further thoughts on how to fix this via Windows rather than Firefox?

Windows safe-mode will in most cases disable your Antivirus/Firewall software. What AV are you using, it could be blocking proper transfer of the files.
marlowe23

Post by marlowe23 »

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't use Antivirus and the only firewall I use is my 12 year old router. May not sound safe but zero problems in 12 years.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Just curious... I'm seeing different user info at the bottom of some of your posts... are you switching between browsers?

...and since you don't use AV stuff... it would not hurt to do this...

Follow the 'free version' instructions ... then once installed run its update to get the current data.

These are FREE ... you install them and just run them from time to time.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
SuperAntispyware
AdwCleaner Download
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
marlowe23

Post by marlowe23 »

Until this problem is resolved I've switched to Cyberfox as my default browser.

I run a full Malwarebytes scan once a week. It has been more than a decade since Malwarebytes has found anything more dangerous than a pup.