[Ext] Mouse Gestures Suite

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Lupin III.

Re: [Ext] Mouse Gestures Suite

Post by Lupin III. »

I miss the diagonals of Mouse Gestures Redox as well. Gestures get much longer with half the directional possibilities, but much more importantly the diagonals allow "natural" gestures that resemble letters much better and are thereby much easier to remember. Any chance of ever getting diagonals? As you see it seems possible.

While Mouse Gestures Redox works on FF 48 (it IS possible to run unsigned extensions in FF48; if it wasn't it would have been good-bye to FF for me; no point in using it, if a few of my most used extensions are locked out by one of the stupidest decisions of the FF devs), it breaks the context menu (won't appear at all) as soon as you enable multiprocess.
RandomInternetPerson

Post by RandomInternetPerson »

This is the best mouse gesture extension imo. Been using it for ages since All in one was abandoned. However, I've noticed a bug when I went to use it with multi-process enabled Firefox.

It works fine if you have it set to use the right mouse button, but is completely broken using the left mouse button. Hopefully this will be fixed in an upcoming version, as I've had to revert firefox back to single process so I can continue using this on my laptop.

Cheer! And thanks for all the hard and selfless work you've put into this addon!
RandomInternetPerson

Post by RandomInternetPerson »

That also reminds me of another little bug. I tend to click on the scroll bars fairly often, but it always starts a gesture when I do that, to click and drag the scrollbars around.

Is there any way you could put in a dead zone around the edges of the window where they appear so it doesn't do that?

Thanks!
Herchi

Post by Herchi »

Mouse Gestures Redox is better than this. It's more customizable and it's in spanish
Thomas.Weber

Post by Thomas.Weber »

Hi,

i want to replace firegestures with this one, but there's a question: in firegestures i was able to have a script like this:

Code: Select all

FireGestures.sendKeyEvent({ ctrl: false, shift: false, alt:true, key: "n" });
is there something similar in MGS? i see there's a powerful script support too, but it looks very different.

thanks. :)
greenenemy

Post by greenenemy »

@Thomas.Weber
Try this

Code: Select all

function sendKeyEvent(aOptions) {
		var evt = document.createEvent("KeyEvents");
		evt.initKeyEvent(
			"keypress", true, true, null, 
			aOptions.ctrl  || false, 
			aOptions.alt   || false, 
			aOptions.shift || false, 
			aOptions.meta  || false, 
			aOptions.keyCode ? evt[aOptions.keyCode] : null, 
			aOptions.key ? aOptions.key.charCodeAt(0) : null
		);
		document.dispatchEvent(evt);
};
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

sendKeyEvent({ ctrl: true, shift: false, alt:false, key: "t"})

If you select "Script scope Native(chrome window)" and "Execute in Browser" it will open new tab "Ctrl:true + "t". Else if scope is Web page then key is send to the page.(check here http://unixpapa.com/js/testkey.html )
Code is basically grabbed from firegestures own code.
Thomas.Weber

Post by Thomas.Weber »

@greenenemy that seems to do the job after a quick test.

thanks a lot, your help is really appreciated. :)
Thomas.Weber

Post by Thomas.Weber »

there's already a new problem. :(

is it only me, or is "save image as..." broken? nothing happens here in firefox v53

/edit: with e10s disabled it works, so it isn't really multiprocessCompatible as stated.
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

Hi guys, sorry for not replying quickly but I've been too busy with other stuff to do some programming on this extension. I know new releases of Firefox bring some new incompatibilities but to be honest I am not filled with much enthusiasm because by the end of this year Mozilla is going to reject XUL extensions altogether, which means the death of Mouse Gestures Suite. And it looks like there will never be a full fledged mouse gestures extension for Firefox any more, nothing like MGS, Firegestures or Mouse Gestures Redox because Mozilla's Web Extensions will only allow for a very limited and basic set of features.
*** SeaMonkey — weird name, sane interface, modern bowels ***
Mouse Gestures for SeaMonkey/Firefox
Convert Fx and TB extensions to SeaMonkey
john_smith9821

Post by john_smith9821 »

Hi,

I use mouse gestures suite on Firefox and love it, but I'm trying to get Tab Groups to work with it and haven't figure out how to do it. I want to enter and exit tab groups panorama view with a mouse gesture and have set the shortcut key to be "ctrl+shift+e". I want a mouse gesture, or rocker gesture, to send the keyboard shortcut to the browser so I can enter the panorama view. Any idea how to do this? Thanks

Edit**** Actually never mind, just looked above and the shortcut key script works. Thanks ^ green big time saver.
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

Just an update on the status of Mouse Gestures Suite: as of Firefox 57 this extension will stop working because Mozilla will only run WebExtensions. This means that this extension has no future for Firefox any more and so I will stop its development for Firefox. However, this will continue to be working in SeaMonkey and I'm planning to support it for SeaMonkey at least in maintenance mode.

What this all means in practical terms:

1. As of Firefox 57, Mouse Gestures Suite will stop working. FireGestures will also stop working.

2. I will not port this extension to Firefox new WebExtensions technology nor write another mouse gestures extensions for it. Even if I wanted to, WebExtensions is so limited that I don't know if I were able to port even 10% of features from current Mouse Gestures Suite. Such an extension would be similarly limited to current Chrome extensions and therefore it would be no fun for me to write it. Besides, I rarely use Firefox and after version 57 I will use it even less.

3. This is the end of any powerful and feature rich mouse gestures extensions for Firefox. For good.

So what are the alternatives if you want mouse gestures? Here they are:

1. To use the current version of Mouse Gestures Suite you will need to switch to SeaMonkey. FireGestures don't work in SM so this is the only mouse gestures extension for that browser. At the moment SM seems like the only option for a (relatively) long-term use of current feature rich MGS.

2. You can buy a bit more time and use Firefox ESR 52 sometime until the second quarter of 2018.

3. Use Pale Moon. It should run Mouse Gestures Suite older version 1.6.3 and it should also run FireGestures (I don't know which version but you can find info on their forums).

4. If you stay with Firefox then this is what you can expect and use: Foxy Gestures with a extensive list of limitations. Due to these limitations this extension will never get anywhere close to MGS or FireGestures - this is not the developer's fault but Mozilla's new architecture.

5. Switch to Vivaldi - currently it has the best and native support for mouse gestures out of all browsers and current half-baked extensions for Chrome or Firefox WebExtensions.

6. Lower your requirements and become a simple user with simple needs and use any of the simple mouse gestures extensions and get on with your life :mrgreen:
Carequinha

Post by Carequinha »

1. Gestures Customization isn't working at all.The function list is empty, and the "Add Custom Gesture" window doesn't allow to draw a new gesture and the OK button doesn't react.
2. DR gesture doesn't respect browser.tabs.closeWindowWithLastTab, it allways shuts Firefox on last tab instead of leaving an empty tab.
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

I have uploaded a new version 2.5.1, where the options should work again. I have very little time for development now so I only made fixes for new Firefox versions. Firefox 56 is the last one where this extension will work but these fixes will become useful for Waterfox.

New in 2.5.1:
* fix: gestures customization in options stopped working in Firefox 56
* fix: gestures for opening favourite bookmarks stopped working in Firefox 53
Thomas.Weber

Post by Thomas.Weber »

thanks!
kbs1

Post by kbs1 »

It seems there is a bug when using the extension with 2.53.17. It does not work until the settings dialog is opened and some setting is changed and then saved. Then it works until SeaMonkey restart. How to proceed?