Jonathan Bless <-- Thi is from my Address Book
jbless22@gmail.com
None of the following fiter settings seems to find it:
From jbless22
is jbless22@gmail.com
From Bless
From Jonathan
I'm guessing that case doesn't matter.

I've also noticed this kind of problem with several other Finder strings. Any idea what's going on?

Mac
Last edited by MacLingo on February 23rd, 2017, 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mac Lingo
Berkeley, CA
DanRaisch

Re: Filter Problem

Post by DanRaisch »

Have you tried "contains" rather than "Is" for the text criteria?
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Are you searching for more than one criterion, but have it set to match ALL rather than ANY? (One of my favorite ways of misconfiguring my own filters)
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
MacLingo

Post by MacLingo »

Does it make a difference where the string being searched for comes from?

I notice that when the search for the name doesn't work, if I put in part of the original email address it does.

And the implication of this I'm imagining is that maybe if the string is derived from my address book and not part of the original email coding that that might be the the reason it doesn't work.

I don't read the code, but I'd be interested if anybody can confirm this for me. And if it is in fact the case, maybe the search algorithm should be updated to include the Address Book string.

Thanks,
Mac
Mac Lingo
Berkeley, CA
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

To which "string" are you referring?

It may be that the address book entry for that contact requires updating. Does the record include first name, last name, display name, and email address, all in the appropriate fields?
MacLingo

Post by MacLingo »

In my address book I often add to the Display field a string in parentheses to allow me to search for that group.

So I set my filter for a "From" string up to use the Display string from the Address Book. But it I think the way the filter stuff works the From string is only derived from the actual email address. And perhaps it should also search the Address Book Display string if there is a matching entry from the Address Book for that particular email address.

Does this make sense?

Mac
Mac Lingo
Berkeley, CA
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

It does make sense. Unfortunately, at this time, that's not the way it is designed to work. The filters aren't paying any attention to the address book except to see if the From email address is or is not in the address book, if the filter includes that test. All of the other filter choices for "From" are evaluating the content of the "From" field in the message header.
MacLingo

Post by MacLingo »

Thanks, Dan, for the reply.

I was thinking that was what was going on.

It would be nice thought for people at least find something in the Forum that specifically about this for others who stumble over it.

And it might be an interesting thing to think about as a future tweek if someone has the time and knows the code.

Mac
Mac Lingo
Berkeley, CA
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Agreed, Mac. Something to put on our Christmas wish lists...
MacLingo

Post by MacLingo »

DanRaisch wrote:Have you tried "contains" rather than "Is" for the text criteria?
Thanks, Dan. Yes, that's what I didn't do.

Mac
Mac Lingo
Berkeley, CA