Address Book contents not displaying in left hand sidebar

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Gone Postal

Address Book contents not displaying in left hand sidebar

Post by Gone Postal »

Updated to Thunderbird v52.0b1 on W10 64-bit yesterday. I have the address book set to display in the left hand sidebar. When I open Thunderbird, the sidebar shows the Address Book header and the drop-down shows "Personal Address Book". The list below is not populated. Click on the drop-down and re-select Personal Address Book and the list populates.
DanRaisch

Re: Address Book contents not displaying in left hand sideba

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Thunderbird Support.

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

Just realised that the Address Book is displayed through the Contacts Sidebar extension. I'm running Contacts Sidebar 1.7pre which is the latest pre-release (2012-09-04). The released version no longer works and throws an error message. 1.7pre is running with add-on compatibility checking disabled.

I can't check in Safe Mode as this disables the extension.

The author of the add-on has done no published work on it since 2012 so it looks as if this is another to join the list of "good while it lasted".
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You shouldn't need that extension in current versions of Thunderbird, which include that functionality. Try disabling or uninstalling the extension and then closing and restarting Thunderbird.
Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

Indeed so in the "Compose" view. However, the F9 function does not work in the main window which is where I use the extension so that I can quickly check something in the address book. The extension shows the address book at the bottom of the folder pane which is a handy use of an expanse of white space on my screen.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I used that extension in the past and don't remember it ever opening the sidebar in the main window, only in the compose window. Not saying that it didn't, but I have multiple accounts so that left sidebar is not empty in my case.
Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

As a final footnote, the search box at the top of the address book listing for this extension has also stopped working.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Enter_email_addresses

"The Contacts Sidebar add-on replaces the built-in Contacts Sidebar and displays an address book in a sidebar within Thunderbird's 3-pane window (main window). It supports several shortcuts that can be used to enter a message. However the current version does not work with Thunderbird 3.1 or later even if you disable version checking. There is a download link for a 1.7 beta in a post at The adopted home of Contacts Sidebar forum that supposedly works with recent versions. " That was posted Wed Feb 04, 2015

I installed the version of disable add-on compatibility checks for version 40+ I was able to install the old version of the Contacts add-on. (you need to ignore the warnings, including the permanent one about "add-on compatibility checking is disabled. you may have incompatible add-ons.") It has a fatal XML parsing error. I removed it and installed the 1.7 beta. It has the same problem with version 52 beta 1 but works okay with version 45.7.0. I'll add a note on the Etherpad TB 52 support list about that and send a email to the author.
Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

tanstaafl wrote:http://kb.mozillazine.org/Enter_email_addresses

"The Contacts Sidebar add-on replaces the built-in Contacts Sidebar and displays an address book in a sidebar within Thunderbird's 3-pane window (main window). It supports several shortcuts that can be used to enter a message. However the current version does not work with Thunderbird 3.1 or later even if you disable version checking. There is a download link for a 1.7 beta in a post at The adopted home of Contacts Sidebar forum that supposedly works with recent versions. " That was posted Wed Feb 04, 2015

I installed the version of disable add-on compatibility checks for version 40+ I was able to install the old version of the Contacts add-on. (you need to ignore the warnings, including the permanent one about "add-on compatibility checking is disabled. you may have incompatible add-ons.") It has a fatal XML parsing error. I removed it and installed the 1.7 beta. It has the same problem with version 52 beta 1 but works okay with version 45.7.0. I'll add a note on the Etherpad TB 52 support list about that and send a email to the author.
@tanstaafl

Thanks.