Upgrading from SM 2.40 to 2.46 has lost my all my settings

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
NZRussell

Upgrading from SM 2.40 to 2.46 has lost my all my settings

Post by NZRussell »

I have moved from SM 2.40 to 2.46 and I'm wishing I hadn't. My profile, bookmarks, almost all of my extensions, interface settings, history and who knows what else have all gone The loss of my bookmarks is massive particularly as there are hundreds of important ones I've added in recent days.

Am I able to go back to 2.40 and if yes, will this resolve the problem ? If not, is the problem resolvable?

If I'm able go back to 2.40 and recover all that is lost I will appreciate any clear and simple advice on how to do so as I fear it's going to be very involved.

This is extremely disappointing.

Thanks in advance, NZRussell.
Last edited by NZRussell on January 29th, 2017, 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
barbaz

Re: Upgrading from SM 2.40 to 2.46 has lost my all my settin

Post by barbaz »

That is not right. Do you have a backup of your profile?
NZRussell

Post by NZRussell »

barbaz wrote:That is not right. Do you have a backup of your profile?

I didn't know it should be backed up nor how to do so. I will check to see if there is a recent system restore point but I don't think that will fix it.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

NZRussell wrote:I will check to see if there is a recent system restore point but I don't think that will fix it.
It won't.

If you have a backup that would contain this folder -

Code: Select all

C:\Users\<you>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\
... then you do have a backup of your profile.
NZRussell

Post by NZRussell »

As I can't find 'Code: Select all' it appears that no backup exists. So are there any other options? Thanks.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

NZRussell wrote:As I can't find 'Code: Select all'
That line is from the forum software. The folder path is the next line, the one in green. (Replace "<you>" with your Windows username.)
NZRussell wrote: are there any other options?
Well I suppose there's also the "try downgrading and hope" option, but I'm not optimistic about it.

It would be wise to backup your profile before attempting that. So here's how to do it -
1) Completely quit SeaMonkey (if it's running)
2) Copy C:\Users\<you>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\ to an external drive

Now that you have a backup:
1) Download 2.40 from https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/seamonkey/r ... .40/win32/
2) Windows Control Panel > Programs & Features, uninstall SeaMonkey
3) Install the downloaded 2.40 and see what you get.
frg

Post by frg »

Which extensions are/were you using. I remember a report about one really old extension which caused this.
NZRussell

Post by NZRussell »

Barbaz, I've got a bit of an update and I believe this tale reinforces the value of re-booting before changing anything.

I closeded SeaMonkey and then copied C:\Users\<me>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\ to a USD stick.

As I still had the install .exe for 2.40 (I don't delete the old until I'm happy with the new) I was about to uninstall SeaMonkey and then install when the thought occurred to reboot first.

When I did that I logged as admin first and on opening SeaMonkey was surprised to see the tabs that were open before opening again but I'd done the update in my user account not in admin. So I switched to my user account and on opening SeaMonkey I found all the missing bits were ther and the update to 2.46 appears to be working fine.

Recently, I had made changes to my system so that if I wanted to install anything in my user account I have to do it as admin but when I updated SeaMonkey as admin I wasn't aware that it would then open in the admin account and not in the user account.

So, long story short, all is well and I've learned ab bit more.

Thank you for your tiime and patience as it was great help.

Regards,
NZRussell.
NZRussell

Post by NZRussell »

frg wrote:Which extensions are/were you using. I remember a report about one really old extension which caused this.
The extensions I use are mostly related to websites here in New Zealand and have all been onboard through several updates. Thanks for raising this point.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

NZRussell wrote: long story short, all is well and I've learned ab bit more.

Thank you for your tiime and patience as it was great help.

Regards,
NZRussell.
You're welcome! :D