[Theme] Red Cats (green/blue flavor) 6.1.0

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
rdbowers

Re: [Theme] Red Cats (green/blue flavor) 6.1.0

Post by rdbowers »

I would like to add my name to the list of people who would like an update to Cats. I don't know why Mozilla has to change their browser all the time, but that is frustrating (and it's not unusual to have add-ons I use go "not compatible"). The default theme is hideous IMO, and I miss Cats. It's the one add-on I count on to make the time I have to spend at the computer (some browsing, but lots of research and reading online) less hard on my eyes.
rebelmom

Post by rebelmom »

I agree with the previous poster. Miss my cats and would like to see them restored.
rdbowers

Post by rdbowers »

Is the maintainer still alive or around? It's dispiriting to not have replies from the person who created the theme and be forced to live with one that is hard on the eyes (too much white) - and I miss Cats.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
I really do not know why Red_Fat_Lazy_Cat has not been around for a while.
Perhaps her personal life takes precedence over having to update the Theme/s every 6 weeks?

Just be patient.
:)
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Scarlettrunner20

Post by Scarlettrunner20 »

rdbowers wrote:Is the maintainer still alive or around? It's dispiriting to not have replies from the person who created the theme and be forced to live with one that is hard on the eyes (too much white) - and I miss Cats.
I've used Red Cats from the beginning and I too love it. I switched to Pale Moon sometime ago as my default browser as Red Cats works fine on it (as do most of my long time beloved extensions many that go back to Fx1). Most extensions and full themes will not survive the slaughterhouse that Mozilla has planned for later this year for Fx as it is turned into a Chrome imitator browser.

I'm not sure why the Red Cats developer should spend any more time on it when Mozilla is killing the full themes and all the good extensions this year. CTR will die soon too and without it what is the point in bothering at all with Fx? I hope the Red Cats author will move over to Pale Moon where she will be welcomed with open arms and joy as Pale Moon will continue to have and emphasize full themes. It would also be great to see Red Cats become available for Sea Monkey.

BTW, Red Cats works just fine on CURRENT Firefox 45.6 ESR version which you could install but in May, I believe it is, the ESR version will update to Fx 52 so this is not a solution that would work for long. However, since the ESR version will remain at version 52 (with updates for security and stability only) for approximately one year perhaps our fine developer should fix Red Cats to work with it and everyone loving Red Cats could move to the Extended Release Version and avoid much of the madness (that is coming to regular Fx) for another year.
rdbowers

Post by rdbowers »

This is the first time I've heard of "Pale Moon" and the supposed upcoming "slaughterhouse". I use Linux and "Pale Moon" is not available in the Repositories... and since I've not heard of "Pale Moon", I don't trust them.

Mozilla has been reasonably secure and is available through the official (tested and secure) repositories. Until "Pale Moon" shows up there, not interested. PERIOD.

(For the mod)
Oh, and it's been months since Cats stopped working, not six weeks. According to this thread the add-ons are supposed to work for three full version updates (50...51...52, and so on) - that's more than an update every six weeks. Don't tell me to "be patient" - nearly 60 years of life has taught me that when people say "Be Patient", they're saying "NO, but I don't want to hear about it!"

What I'm reading in your comment is that Cats is not likely to come back. If you mean "I don't know why and haven't heard" please say so. I'm through with "being patient". Patience only means loss and "Patience is a virtue" is a LIE!
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi rd,
I have quite a few years on your 60 & my comment about being patient was directed at everyone who is still
waiting for the update for Firefox v50 plus.

&..... As I mentioned, she may just be busy with her "real" life.
JoeG posted a "fix" for updating the version number, just after your post.
Perhaps you missed it?
viz; > http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14590199

If you want, why not go to her HP & scroll down to the bottom, where there's an email contact link?
> http://www.bluecatsgraphics.com/Firefox_Themes/cats/

I & everyone else, hasn't seen or heard anything from her in months. AFAIK.
This thread is where she "usually" responds to queries & posts any new updates, when she has the time.
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

rdbowers

Post by rdbowers »

"There is currently a compatibility issue with Firefox 50. Unfortunately, it does not appear to be simply the version number. If I force FF to run the Red Cats, the menu doesn't work." - Nikosandros (on the previous page).

I've known about the editing trick for a long time... and it's not working for 50 (creates real headaches as reported by Nikosandros). I don't have the time to try to figure it out - and I did as much reading on the issue as I could afford to do (don't have the time).
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

rdbowers wrote:"There is currently a compatibility issue with Firefox 50. Unfortunately, it does not appear to be simply the version number. If I force FF to run the Red Cats, the menu doesn't work." - Nikosandros (on the previous page).
I changed the install.rdf and put it on Firefox 50 and then 52 and the menus on it are working fine.

As you say you (don't have the time), but when you do you can figure out what is wrong at your end and while you're at it, drop the sense of entitlement.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
rdbowers

Post by rdbowers »

You know where you can put your dismissive and patronizing comment (and that is an accurate description). Entitlement isn't a bad word, by the way. IF you think it's so bad, then may I suggest you forgo Social Security, Medicare, and any other such programs? After all, those are "entitlements"!
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

rdbowers wrote:You know where you can put your dismissive and patronizing comment !
Yeah, up your dumb backside. Not only was that the precise fashion in which you addressed the 'mod' above, but he happens to be a friend of mine.

I didn't have to check out that theme for you guys, you know....I'm also one of the few who could fix it, but thanks to your attitude above, I wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire.
IF you think it's so bad, then may I suggest you forgo Social Security, Medicare, and any other such programs?
I don't need 'Social Security' and I have private health care and yes, I do think some clown with a chip on their shoulder is a bad thing. You are entitled to precisely nothing with a totally free program that was given to you.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Nikosandros

Post by Nikosandros »

Wow, those attacks on the mod and other posters are totally uncalled for. I would be very happy to get to use the Cats again, but if the creator has other things to attend to or simply doesn't want to bother, no one has the right to complain.

Frank Lion, I realize that you must be quite upset, but if you have any tips on making the extension working again, I would be grateful.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi guys & "others"...
Niko, the "fix" by JoeG actually works just fine.
viz; > http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14590199

I just performed the .rdf change to both of my v50's.
I have my beloved cats back where they belong & everything works fine.

Nikosandros

Post by Nikosandros »

Unfortunately, the fix doesn't work for me. Firefox starts just fine, but as I posted upthread the menu doesn't work. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong.
Nikosandros

Post by Nikosandros »

Can anyone help? As I wrote, I tried both forcing FF to accept the Cats by disabling the add-on compatibility check and I changed the maximum version number in the install RDF. In both cases, I got the same result. The program launches and runs fine, but if I try to access the menu, the icons are aligned in a weird way and I can't actually click on them. :(
Last edited by Nikosandros on February 12th, 2017, 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.