Lost control of my Thunderbird emails

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
i75Dave

Lost control of my Thunderbird emails

Post by i75Dave »

Several day's ago, when I logged into my Thunderbird email account, I received for the first time the following message:

"Add Security Exception
"You are about to override how Thunderbird identifies this site. Legitimate banks, stores, and other public sites will not ask you to do this.
"Server location: pop.broadband.rogers.com:995"
This apparently is due to outdated certificate status information.

Since then, the message has not re-appeared but I have been unable to get my mail. Each time I attempt to get mail, I get the following message:
"Error with account xxxxxxxx@rogers.com
"Sending of password for user mile_oak did not succeed. Mail server pop.broadband.rogers.com responded:"

I click on OK but still cannot download my mail.

I know my account passwords. Is there any way I can add them back in again and get my mail back under control.

The only application changes I've made in the last week is a Kaspersky Total Security update and I am wondering if this has somehow affected my Thunderbird account.

I obviously do not have email access through my xxxxxxx@rogers.com account so will need to keep checking back here hoping for a solution. I do have access to xxxxxx@rogers.com through my Samsung tablet.

I'm completely out of my depth here and depend upon my email correspondence - please help.

Thanks,

Dave
Last edited by DanRaisch on February 2nd, 2017, 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Email address obscured per forum rules. There are 'bots that love to harvest such information from open forums like this.
DanRaisch

Re: Lost control of my Thunderbird emails

Post by DanRaisch »

Go to TOOLS > OPTIONS >SECURITY > PASSWORDS tab> SAVED PASSWORDS button and there you can delete old passwords. Restart Thunderbird to ensure that the stored password is cleared from memory. The next time you "Get Mail" Thunderbird will ask for the password and you can check the box to remember the value.

Moving to Thunderbird Support.
i75Dave

Post by i75Dave »

DanRaisch wrote:Go to TOOLS > OPTIONS >SECURITY > PASSWORDS tab> SAVED PASSWORDS button and there you can delete old passwords. Restart Thunderbird to ensure that the stored password is cleared from memory. The next time you "Get Mail" Thunderbird will ask for the password and you can check the box to remember the value.

Moving to Thunderbird Support.
Dear Dan,
Thanks for your quick response and forgive my delay in answering. This loss of Thunderbird email is causing us a lot of pressure here.
I followed your recommendation as follows:
1. Deleted all passwords.
2. Exited Thunderbird.
3. For good measure, performed a cold boot of my computer
4. Loaded Thunderbird.
5. Attempted to get mail.
6. Received the request for password.
7. Entered password and checked remember box
8. Received the same error message as before -
"Error with account xxxxxxxx@rogers.com
"Sending of password for user mile_oak did not succeed. Mail server pop.broadband.rogers.com responded:"
9. Checked with my email provider to ensure I had the correct server addresses - I did.

---------------------------------------------------

I think my next move is to uninstall Thunderbird and then reinstall it, but I do not want to lose all my file folders.
Any suggestions regarding this?
Thanks.
Dave
jgb

Post by jgb »

I am having EXACTLY the same problem (See post "Need to Reset Password")
I did all that and still no joy. Except I never got the "request for PW", just the error message.
I can send no problem, I can get mail on my phone or other laptop, just not this PC.
I also am thinking of a re-install, but fear losing a lot of stuff doing that.

Re-reading OP, I'm wondering if this may be a ROGERS problem. I am on Rogers and the Security Cert mentioned Rogers in it.
jgb
i75Dave

Post by i75Dave »

jgb wrote:I am having EXACTLY the same problem (See post "Need to Reset Password")
I did all that and still no joy. Except I never got the "request for PW", just the error message.
I can send no problem, I can get mail on my phone or other laptop, just not this PC.
I also am thinking of a re-install, but fear losing a lot of stuff doing that.

Re-reading OP, I'm wondering if this may be a ROGERS problem. I am on Rogers and the Security Cert mentioned Rogers in it.
My problem is solved!!

I was fortunate in having Thunderbird installed on a spare computer so I decided to play around with server settings without affecting my main computer's email program. What I found was that by changing the server and adding "@rogers.com" to the user name, my email accounts started to receive messages again. Here's the process:

1. Clean out all your passwords as suggested by Dan in his original reply to me.
2. Go to TOOLS -> ACCOUNT SETTINGS -> SERVER SETTINGS (for each email account) and change it to " pop.mail.yahoo.com"
3. Cursor down to "User Name" and make sure it is the actual email address, not just the name characters in front of the @rogers.com.
4. Close down Thunderbird and for good measure reboot your computer
5. Restart Thunderbird and as the software attempts to download messages for each account, you will receive a prompt for the password.
6. Enter your password and check the small box so it is kept in the password file.

You should now be able to receive your messages.

7. To complete the process, I sent a test message from each of my accounts to my wife's computer and again got a password prompt. Responding to this seemed to satisfy the outgoing server.
8. Then being a computer neanderthal with a computer career stretching back into the 1960's, I re-tested everything several times to ensure that all was perfectly locked down.

Since Rogers contracted with Yahoo to provide the Rogers email system, I suspect that quiet server changes were made at either Rogers or at Yahoo, while they forgot to tell we poor folk who love our POP email clients.

Good luck.

Dave
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

i75Dave wrote:I was fortunate in having Thunderbird installed on a spare computer so I decided to play around with server settings without affecting my main computer's email program. What I found was that by changing the server and adding "@rogers.com" to the user name, my email accounts started to receive messages again.
Makes sense. You didn't have to have your domain name included when Rogers was doing their own email -- if you were connected via Rogers, they already knew you were one of theirs. Now that they've handed you off to Yahoo, which does the contract email for scads of systems, makes sense that you have to identify yourself as a Rogers account.

Unfortunately, we see this all the time. The techies in the back room make changes and not only don't bother to alert their customers, but often don't bother to inform their own support folks either.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
jgb

Post by jgb »

Resetting User Name worked for my main email acct, but not the other one.

On 2nd acct deleting PW and changing Server Settings to "pop" did in fact ask for my PW but still won't get emails. Same error msg.

Both accts are on Rogers. I can access both from the Yahoo server so the PW's are OK.
2nd email is not critical at this time, since my main email is now OK, but need to get it going nevertheless.
jgb
ShelleyH

Post by ShelleyH »

I had exactly the same problem but still not resolved. I got security certificate error then when I agree to bypass it...I ended up with password error. Rogers tech recommended changing password so I did. I followed same procedure recommended deleted old passwords - logged off computer restarted. Then added my new password in and saved. I also changed the user name to full rogers email address.

Then I got new error.

The RETR command did not succeed. Error retrieving a message. Mail server pop.mail.yahoo.com responded: defenderWKS-SpamStamp: Build: [Engines: 2.15.7.1023, Dats:

I have also tried fix above to switch serve name to Pop yahoo - no difference same error even after closing down and rebooting computer and email.

This started on Feb 1st and Rogers tech assistance does not support Thunderbird so limited help there. Note I am able to send email just not receive incoming. I can get incoming via rogers yahoo webmail and on my phone just not on my desk top computer via thunderbird. It is a bit of a pain as my main thunderbird account has a lot of biz template material that I am having to copy and paste to webmail.

Any ideas how to work around this new error.

Thanks
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

https://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php ... underbird/ mentions a similar header that includes a bayes score: 500 (0). Bayesian filtering is used to detect spam, but that is a higher spam score then I thought possible. A translation of the post (it's in German) is:

"Also has problems with the interplay Bitdefender Total Security 2011 and Thunderbird (3.1.6). I always get the message:
"The RETR command failed. The mail server xxxxx.de answered:
DefenderWKS-SpamStamp: v1 build 2.9.7, bayes score: 500 (0), "

I am already clear that there spam-mails are blocked - however, all other mails are not downloaded then
Settings in Bitdefender (e.g., tolerant) have not brought anything. Antispam is the only way to help.
Where do I have to change something to get rid of these errors? Bitdefender, Thunderbird? - Before Bitdefender I had the problems not !!"

The junk mail controls might delete or move a downloaded spam message but shouldn't generate the error you saw. I'd start by checking your anti-virus scanner to see if it "knows" about spam. Perhaps its blocking it.
jgb

Post by jgb »

I'm all fixed!!!

When I went into Yahoo on my 2nd acct, it failed to open. I went into acct mgr to find that acct was greyed out and totally unresponsive.
I called Rogers tech and he reset my PW. Even though he said Rogers did not support Tbird, he was Tbird savvy.

I went into Tbird and in PW Manager, manually changed to the new PW. Just starting Tbird did NOT ask for new PW.

Tools / options / security / passwords / saved passwords / show passwords

I scrolled down to that acct and rt click on the (old) PW edit to the new temp PW. Exit out and restart Tbird. All OK.

Then back into Yahoo mail and acct mgr to change temp PW back to original.
Back into Tbird and as above, changed PW back to original.
I needed original PW so I can access my mail from existing multiple platforms.

One other thing, in Server Settings, the Server Name must be pop.broadband.rogers.com port 995 on Windows 10 platforms. May differ for IOS or Android.
jgb