Sync with Android Browser?

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
NetscapeFan

Sync with Android Browser?

Post by NetscapeFan »

Is there an Android browser that's relatively straightforward to sync with SeaMonkey bookmarks and passwords? How do SeaMonkey users handle this? I tried the Dolphin browser which has a sync function but the extension for Firefox didn't work in SeaMonkey 2.46 even after running it through the converter. Thanks.
isaacschemm

Re: Sync with Android Browser?

Post by isaacschemm »

SeaMonkey uses the Sync 1.1 protocol that Firefox used to use a while ago, but it doesn't have its own server, so the sync feature is broken right now unless you have your own server set up.
cuppettcj

Post by cuppettcj »

NetscapeFan wrote:Is there an Android browser that's relatively straightforward to sync with SeaMonkey bookmarks and passwords? How do SeaMonkey users handle this? I tried the Dolphin browser which has a sync function but the extension for Firefox didn't work in SeaMonkey 2.46 even after running it through the converter. Thanks.
I use the LastPass and Xmarks Add-ons with SeaMonkey, and then install the Android apps on my phone. It works really well and I can use any Android browser, but it's not free. I pay $20 a year for the LastPass + Xmarks bundle. The Xmarks mobile app acts like a launcher. You navigate to the bookmark you want, tap it, and it launches the site in your default browser. LastPass is great because it not only integrates with your mobile browser, it also integrates with your native apps. So for example if you've saved your Facebook password in LastPass from SeaMonkey, it will allow you to use it to log into the Facebook Android app. It works by detecting and launching when you've selected a password field in either your mobile browser or in the native apps.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the LastPass and Xmarks desktop applications are free. I was using both for a few years before I got my first smartphone. You only need to pay if you want to install the mobile apps.
NetscapeFan

Post by NetscapeFan »

cuppettcj wrote:
I use the LastPass and Xmarks Add-ons with SeaMonkey, and then install the Android apps on my phone.
Thank you! That looks like a good solution. Can I ask which versions of each add-on you're using?
cuppettcj

Post by cuppettcj »

NetscapeFan wrote:
cuppettcj wrote:
I use the LastPass and Xmarks Add-ons with SeaMonkey, and then install the Android apps on my phone.
Thank you! That looks like a good solution. Can I ask which versions of each add-on you're using?
LastPass 3.3.2, Xmarks 4.4.1. I found those versions by going to Tools --> Add-ons Manager and searching for them by name. The latest versions compatible with SeaMonkey came up. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like they will be updating those Add-ons again for SeaMonkey, but at least they still work well.
NetscapeFan

Post by NetscapeFan »

cuppettcj wrote: LastPass 3.3.2, Xmarks 4.4.1. I found those versions by going to Tools --> Add-ons Manager and searching for them by name. The latest versions compatible with SeaMonkey came up. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like they will be updating those Add-ons again for SeaMonkey, but at least they still work well.
Thanks! The last plan I heard was that SeaMonkey 2.49 would be an ESR release so assuming those add-ons work in 2.49 we'll have a year to figure out our next move.