Data Mgr w/popups

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Peter Creasey

Data Mgr w/popups

Post by Peter Creasey »

For a site, I went to Tools, Popup Mgr hoping to allow popups. Instead the Data Manager just hangs and doesn't do anything. If I click on permission, Windows reports that Data Mgr is no longer responding.

I had to switch to Internet Explorer to do the piece of work I was trying to do.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Frank Lion

Re: Data Mgr w/popups

Post by Frank Lion »

Peter Creasey wrote:For a site...
For an individual site, then left click on the 'favicon' (little picture) on left of the addressbar with the site open, then select Permissions and then do your stuff on 'Open Popup Windows' there.

Sometimes, using less direct routes confuses the program.

Don't forget, if you do ever get 'Not Responding' freezes, then just use the Windows Task Manager to kill the SM program and restart SM. Doesn't happen often, but useful to know how to get out of it.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Franks, thanks; HOWEVER, I looked and looked and tried and tried but cannot find a way to find a "favicon" and do as you say.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Peter Creasey wrote:Franks, thanks; HOWEVER, I looked and looked and tried and tried but cannot find a way to find a "favicon" and do as you say.
You see in the addressbar for this page this? - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14732430

Well, just to the left of that is a blue and white square picture - THAT is the favicon for this website.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Frank Lion wrote:You see in the addressbar for this page this? - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14732430

Well, just to the left of that is a blue and white square picture - THAT is the favicon for this website.
When I left-click that, it just selects the URL in the address bar.

@Peter Creasey: try View > Page Info > Permissions.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

barbaz wrote:When I left-click that, it just selects the URL in the address bar.
Ha! In SafeMode, so it does. Turns out it's the SeaFox extension doing it, as it would.

Well, in that case, just click anywhere on page, press Control + I for Page Info and then Permissions and you're away.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Thanks, guys!

Why doesn't the Tools, Popup Manager sequence work?
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

You're welcome! :D
Peter Creasey wrote:Why doesn't the Tools, Popup Manager sequence work?
To troubleshoot this, I'd start at the permissions.sqlite file.

Before proceeding, completely quit SeaMonkey and back up your entire profile. Copy the entire C:\Users\<you>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\ folder somewhere safe.

With SeaMonkey still closed, move the permissions.sqlite file somewhere outside of your profile folder. (This will reset many of your Data Manager permissions to default.)
Then start SeaMonkey again and try Tools > Popup Manager, just as you did before. Does it work?
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

b, thanks! I don't know if I'll have the time or enough incentive to do all of that, especially since the other sequences appear to work fine.

It does seem a shame that the intuitive approach of <tools> <popup manager> won't work (at least for me).
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
frg

Post by frg »

If you open the Data Manager with Tools->Data Manager does this work or hang? If it hangs or is very very slow check your profile and rename or delete the file webappsstore.sqlite. there have been numerous reports that this one prevents Data manager to open correctly.

I looked at the code and didn't find anything obviously wrong with it and can't reproduce it unfortunately. Probably old cruft in the profile. Support for storage in Data Manger was broken for a few releases before 2.46.

If Data Manager works ok then wait for 2.48. Has a changed menu for managing popups and should work out of the box in all cases.

FRG
Andy Boze

Post by Andy Boze »

frg wrote:If you open the Data Manager with Tools->Data Manager does this work or hang? If it hangs or is very very slow check your profile and rename or delete the file webappsstore.sqlite. there have been numerous reports that this one prevents Data manager to open correctly.
Thanks for mentioning that! I have two PCs where I use SeaMonkey, and the Data Manager has been opening very slowly on both (probably 20 seconds or so). I just renamed webappsstore.sqlite on one of them. It was about 62MB. The new file is only 32KB and the Data Manager opens with no perceptible delay now.
But then again, I may be wrong.
frg

Post by frg »

> It was about 62MB. The new file is only 32KB and the Data Manager opens with no perceptible delay now.

I tried to generate such a big file but failed so far. So far no one has reported that the error came back after deleting the old file. I hope it stays this way. Otherwise Data Manager would probably need a big overhaul with a switch to async operations which I have no time for currently.

Btw. if you are using SeaMonkey/2.51a1 right now viewing form data is broken.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Andy Boze wrote:
frg wrote:If you open the Data Manager with Tools->Data Manager does this work or hang? If it hangs or is very very slow check your profile and rename or delete the file webappsstore.sqlite. there have been numerous reports that this one prevents Data manager to open correctly.
Thanks for mentioning that! I have two PCs where I use SeaMonkey, and the Data Manager has been opening very slowly on both (probably 20 seconds or so). I just renamed webappsstore.sqlite on one of them. It was about 62MB. The new file is only 32KB and the Data Manager opens with no perceptible delay now.
Maybe your SQLITE files needs some "clean up"? Install SQLite Manager:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/seamon ... e-manager/
(conversion or changes in RDF file may be required)
... then analyze, check integrity and compact database.
--
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

frg wrote:delete the file webappsstore.sqlite.
f, thank you for the very helpful info!

Renaming/deleting the file appears (thus far) to have improved Data Mgr. As Andy said, the new file is about 32K instead of 62M like the previous file.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete