What would happen to non-WebExtensions after FX 57 released?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
randommm

Post by randommm »

Would they be removed from AMO?
therube

Re: What would happen to non-WebExtensions after FX 57 relea

Post by therube »

Only your hairdresser knows for sure (or maybe Mozilla).
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

randommm wrote:Would they be removed from AMO?
Yep.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
therube

Post by therube »

(Now wouldn't that be a totally ignorant thing for them to do. I guess par for the course.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

therube wrote:(Now wouldn't that be a totally ignorant thing for them to do. I guess par for the course.)
I'll have a word with Jorge on AMO and see if they can be left there until FF58 comes out. That'll give people 6 weeks or so to grab what they want....because, for many people, 57 Release will be their first indication that it has hit the fan..in November(?)

@ right click on Install link and select 'Save As'. If you see greyed out buttons, then try turning off JavaScript and reload the site.

You then install, later, via the Addons Manager > 'Install Add-on from File'
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

randommm wrote:What would happen to non-WebExtensions after FX 57 released?

Would they be removed from AMO?
https://wiki.mozilla.org/RapidRelease/Calendar
Probably not immediately. There will be another three releases of Firefox ESR 52.#.0 after Firefox 57 & Firefox ESR 52.5.0 are released.
Like 52.6.0, 52.7.0, and 52.8.0 should come after 2017-11-13.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
randommm

Post by randommm »

Frank Lion wrote:
Yep.
What about your themes?

Would they be removed too?
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

randommm wrote:
Frank Lion wrote:
Yep.
What about your themes?Would they be removed too?
The Firefox ones for sure. But we already knew that ages back - https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.c ... 222546#c80 ...the only uncertainty was when and despite us asking for a date, none was ever given (which is why themers have put in minimum effort, or just quit, since then). Obviously, in my case, I'll just put my themes on my own website for people, but not everyone can do that, hence my suggestion above to download stuff you want while you can.

In theory, my SeaMonkey themes should still be available on AMO after this, but this all uncertain territory and both the Thunderbird and SeaMonkey projects should be looking for their own hosting site, I reckon.

The hosting side isn't a problem, but the initiative needs to come from those projects.
frg

Post by frg »

>>
In theory, my SeaMonkey themes should still be available on AMO after this, but this all uncertain territory and both the Thunderbird and SeaMonkey projects should be looking for their own hosting site, I reckon.
<<

Mozilla wants both Thunderbird and SeaMonkey off AMO and their infrastructure. The sooner the better. No date was given but alternate options are currently/already discussed. Not involved in this so don't have more details.

FRG
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

frg wrote:No date was given but alternate options are currently/already discussed. Not involved in this so don't have more details.

FRG
So why is the first I hear of this from someone 'not involved in this'? :)

Seriously, and I don't mean to be harsh, by why do Open Source projects continually bang on about 'community', when they never reach out and ask the damn community anything?

As it happens....I have contacts, who not only have well nigh unlimited server capacity, but also who have hosted stuff like this before and still have the software to do precisely that. But...no one thought to ask, did they, instead they prefer to endlessly discuss things amongst themselves.

I despair of you guys sometimes. :|
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

FrankLion wrote:Seriously, and I don't mean to be harsh, by why do Open Source projects continually bang on about 'community', when they never reach out and ask the damn community anything?
Moved into gated? Maybe the community definition is less inclusive than the rest of us believe?
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Grumpus wrote:...Maybe the community definition is less inclusive than the rest of us believe?
Well, the SM and T/Bird devs are all volunteers, so I find it pretty easy to cut them some slack.

But, if you come across a problem that is outside your area of expertise, in this case coding, then why not ask around to a bunch of people who you already know are on your side? The worst that can happen, and usually does, will be a deafening silence.

But, what have you to lose by asking? It's not like people are going to follow your every move or just guess what you need, you have to ask.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

It would seem, even to the unskilled, a change from user control to site control is a suspect move.
The sites are there for profit and singularly focused on what is best for them, regardless of moral flag waving, cooperation and security.
It's similar to business, having selfish designs which are not inclusive, dictating or manipulating government policies, small groups may be on the same page but the confusion will only increase with more interference.
There's nothing I'm seeing in any of this which does not lead to manipulation and control of content by various commercial factions for their own purposes.
Security and privacy is certainly going to be lost more than it is now, albeit used as reason of some of the changes.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Grumpus wrote:It would seem, even to the unskilled, a change from user control to site control is a suspect move.
The sites are there for profit and singularly focused on what is best for them, regardless of moral flag waving, cooperation and security.
It's similar to business, having selfish designs which are not inclusive, dictating or manipulating government policies, small groups may be on the same page but the confusion will only increase with more interference.
There's nothing I'm seeing in any of this which does not lead to manipulation and control of content by various commercial factions for their own purposes.
Security and privacy is certainly going to be lost more than it is now, albeit used as reason of some of the changes.
Hmm... :-k

I'm struggling to figure out how this post relates to this thread.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Frank Lion wrote:I'm struggling to figure out how this post relates to this thread.
I wonder the same thing first visit every morning.. here's another from today.
Even Folding isn't safe.
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14733360

@ https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/
Complete themes. These add-ons shouldn’t have problems with multiprocess compatibility but will follow the same compatibility milestones as other legacy add-ons.
We will provide more details on what’s coming for themes very soon in this blog.
Language packs, dictionaries, OpenSearch providers, lightweight themes, and add-ons that only support Thunderbird or SeaMonkey aren’t considered legacy.
Note; 'lightweight themes', SKINS aren't considered Legacy..what could those details on what's coming possibility be?? :-k (sarcasm)
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.