[Ext] Cookies Exterminator

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Wurtril

Re: [Ext] Cookies Exterminator

Post by Wurtril »

Everything is working normally now. Thanks :)
mavman

Post by mavman »

Hi,

I didn't know about the forum, thanks :D

So, i would like to know what are the differences about SDC, CE and Privacy Badger (i know it's a very "superficial" question, but i'll be happy with a superficial answer - LOL)

About e10s... without it, CE will be useless, right? Any update about mozilla changing their mind?
JustOff

Post by JustOff »

mavman wrote:I didn't know about the forum, thanks :D
The link is right above your review on AMO 8-)
So, i would like to know what are the differences about SDC, CE and Privacy Badger (i know it's a very "superficial" question, but i'll be happy with a superficial answer - LOL)
SDC and CE are almost the same with regard to functionality, while CE is little more efficient concerning the memory usage, speed of processing and some customization. Privacy Badger is more about privacy protection in general, it uses more complex algorithms which as a result allow to track you if tracker complies some requirements :wink:
About e10s... without it, CE will be useless, right?
With e10s enabled both SDC and CE will will not be able to deal efficiently with local storage, only cookies will be removed on the fly, all local storage objects will survive until next browser restart.
Any update about mozilla changing their mind?
Mozilla doesn't care about classic add-ons anymore, at the same time WebExtensions simple has no API for such tasks. You should consider to switch to SeaMonkey or Pale Moon if you want to continue to use CE.
Kenny D

Post by Kenny D »

at the same time WebExtensions simple has no API for such tasks
Actually I made a SDC port in WebExtensions for deleting unused cookie after tab close. It's currently in review. The only problem is there's no API for local storage (yet?) due to 1333050 and 1329745. So you could port some functionality to WebExtensions if you wanted to.
JustOff

Post by JustOff »

Kenny D wrote: Actually I made a SDC port in WebExtensions
I hope that you aware of Tab Cookies which already implements this simplified solution. But even API to clear storage will be not enough to cover full functionality of CE/SDC. Without listening to 'cookie-changed' and 'dom-storage2-changed' (or similar) you will miss a lot of objects, that can't be catched from list of domains in tabs.
Kenny D

Post by Kenny D »

I tried Tab Cookies already and it doesn't have the features I need (Export/Import URLS, Easy UI to add sites to whitelist, notifications).
JustOff wrote: Without listening to 'cookie-changed' and 'dom-storage2-changed' (or similar) you will miss a lot of objects, that can't be catched from list of domains in tabs.
If Mozilla implements the "origins" attribute to the browsingdata API, then I can just use the algorithm already in my extension. But if there's no way to get all the local storage objects, then yeah, it's going to miss some stuff, which is unfortunate.
JustOff

Post by JustOff »

Kenny D wrote:If Mozilla implements the "origins" attribute to the browsingdata API, then I can just use the algorithm already in my extension. But if there's no way to get all the local storage objects, then yeah, it's going to miss some stuff, which is unfortunate.
I wish you good luck. But as for me, "to miss some stuff" in privacy-related tasks means to have no protection at all 8-)
Kenny D

Post by Kenny D »

JustOff wrote: I wish you good luck. But as for me, "to miss some stuff" in privacy-related tasks means to have no protection at all 8-)
Thanks. Good luck to you too. :)
mozray

Post by mozray »

Hi JustOff,

Thanks for creating CE!

I came across a bug in Firefox 52. CE doesn't appear to clear Local Storage in FF 52. To test, go to tunefind.com, which should set cookies and local storage. Then close the tab. Cookies are cleared, but local storage still persists.

You can test by using the Web Storage Viewer addon to view the local storage data.
mozray

Post by mozray »

Disregard my previous post.

It looks like CE is clearing local storage again after restarting Firefox and testing again.
Schmackbolzen

Post by Schmackbolzen »

Hello,
first of all thank you for this nice plugin!

I am using Seamonkey and the problem is that at startup the plugin is not correctly loaded. You have to disable and enable it again. In the console I see the message:

Code: Select all

Error: TypeError: tabBrowser is null
Source File: chrome://cookies-xtrm/content/tabs.js
Line: 37
To me it looks like this is the problem, since there seems to be no browser object yet when the browser is starting. Maybe it is just the load order or something. Could you please fix this problem or give me a hint what has to be done? It makes the plugin nearly unusable the way it is now :(

Thanks in advance!
JustOff

Post by JustOff »

Schmackbolzen wrote:I am using Seamonkey and the problem is that at startup the plugin is not correctly loaded.
Thanks for reporting! This issue is fixed in 2.8.1, you can download it from GitHub while it's awaiting for review on AMO.
Schmackbolzen

Post by Schmackbolzen »

Thanks, it works! I see it was a simple fix ;)

Btw. I read about HSTS super cookies and your plugin does not erase them. You can test it here: http://www.radicalresearch.co.uk/lab/hstssupercookies/

For now I am using the CookieKeeper plugin (which actually led me to it) to erase them when the browser gets closed (this seems not to be necessary with Firefox). But they still work while browsing normally, which is not so good I think. Maybe you can do something about it? At least deleting them when the browser gets closed would be nice.
JustOff

Post by JustOff »

Schmackbolzen wrote:Btw. I read about HSTS super cookies and your plugin does not erase them.
If you are concerned about HSTS tracking just make SiteSecurityServiceState.txt read-only or use other methods described here (all of them are applicable to SeaMonkey too).
Schmackbolzen

Post by Schmackbolzen »

Sadly making it read only does not prevent the site from reading the cookie. It looks like it stays in memory. So for now the solution with erasing them on exit seems to be the best one :(