SeaMonkey extensions on AMO

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
HonzaH

SeaMonkey extensions on AMO

Post by HonzaH »

I was wondering if I am the only one who finds the user experience on addons.mozilla.org rather unacceptably bad. To me, it feels like Mozilla is actively trying to kill SeaMonkey by making it seem like there are no extensions for it.

When I'm searching for SeaMonkey addons, AMO happily serves me the Firefox version of the page and often lies about compatibility. For example, I was trying to install the latest compatible version of 'Google search link fix' ( https://addons.mozilla.org/en-gb/firefo ... /versions/ ) and was served a message saying "Only with Firefox - get Firefox Now!". I knew that I should disable JavaScript to see the download links, but this is a serious barrier for most people.

Later, I even found an extension which is supposed to fix AMO for SeaMonkey users. :roll: Anyway, since Firefox is killing all the old extensions and the projects are rapidly diverging in general, there will soon be no cross-compatibility between Firefox and SeaMonkey. Wouldn't it make sense to leave AMO altogether and use a separate repository for SeaMonkey addons?
James

Re: SeaMonkey extensions on AMO

Post by James »

Look on top where it says Other Applications https://addons.mozilla.org/seamonkey/

The vast majority of Extensions being hosted on a.m.o are by a third-party author or company. Most tend to support desktop Firefox compared to Android Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaeMonkey.
therube

Post by therube »

I was wondering if I am the only one who finds the user experience on addons.mozilla.org rather unacceptably bad.
No you are not.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

I was wondering if I am the only one who finds the user experience on addons.mozilla.org rather unacceptably bad.
No you are not.
URLs ?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
therube

Post by therube »

Nothing to do with URLs.
AMO is simply unfriendly to non-Firefox browsers.
Visit AMO in SeaMonkey or Chrome or IE or... & what you're presented with is different from what you get in Firefox.
What you're allowed to do or not do is different.

AMO is simply a hostile place.
"open and accessible to all", yeah, right.

Bug 1187097
AMO Non-Firefox Download Button on Homepage

Bug 1159335
AMO Optimizations for non-Firefox visitors [tracking]

Bug 1170736
AMO Non-Firefox Add-on Download Button (tracking)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
RrBd

Post by RrBd »

HonzaH wrote:Later, I even found an extension which is supposed to fix AMO for SeaMonkey users.
This https://unofficialseamonkeynews.wordpre ... seamonkey/ one?
HonzaH wrote:Wouldn't it make sense to leave AMO altogether and use a separate repository for SeaMonkey addons?
I doubt. Who should do the work? Pay the server? ...?

CU

Rainer