Why is syncing tabs this dumb? Is there a workaround?

Talk about Mozilla browsers for small devices such as PDAs and cellphones.
avada

Why is syncing tabs this dumb? Is there a workaround?

Post by avada »

I just plainly want tabs from mobile available. But I need to enable sync for everything for that to work. I most defininitely don't want stuff like gmail syncing constantly.
The only other way is to sync manually. But even that's in some stupid system menu and not within FF mobile... Impractical. (and only succeeds on every other try...)
JanH

Re: Why is syncing tabs this dumb? Is there a workaround?

Post by JanH »

You could try installing the About Sync add-on and check whether - if necessary after forcing a manual sync on desktop or mobile - the Tabs collection contains the expected tabs (look in the "Records (object)" tab). If yes, that means that Firefox is still successfully uploading your tabs.

You could then check the "Response" tab and see whether any of the time fields change after syncing (and reloading the About Sync page) from either desktop or mobile.
If you're in the same situation as me, then "date" and "x-weave-timestamp" will change, but "x-last-modified" will stay unchanged, which is why you don't see any new tabs appearing - Firefox thinks they haven't changed and therefore doesn't request any updates.

Edit: Wrong thread, disregard this post.
Last edited by JanH on March 4th, 2017, 9:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
avada

Post by avada »

I can tell without it that it doesn't sync tabs automatically at all, and that manual syncing works (every other try).
That said I'll try it. Maybe it'll be of some use.

Edit:
The addons seems rather dysfunctional it shows 1970... as date for all sections. And when I expand the tabs section in the records tab, it only shows "object" as all the items.
JanH

Post by JanH »

Oops, sorry - my reply was actually meant for some other thread.
avada wrote:But I need to enable sync for everything for that to work.
You mean Android's sync setting? Since Firefox sync on Android is implemented using the standard account sync mechanism on Android, that is correct.
avada

Post by avada »

JanH wrote:Oops, sorry - my reply was actually meant for some other thread.
avada wrote:But I need to enable sync for everything for that to work.
You mean Android's sync setting? Since Firefox sync on Android is implemented using the standard account sync mechanism on Android, that is correct.
But that syncs all accounts, for everyrhing. It sucks...