Thunderbird 45.7.1 completely fouling up?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
thisweeksTBbug

Thunderbird 45.7.1 completely fouling up?

Post by thisweeksTBbug »

Hi

So in the last week or so Thudnerbird now...
  • -- Now sometimes doesnt allow right click "mark as read" / starred etc - thats simply gone sometimes not others. This eve. its working OK this morning and most of this week it hasnt been
    -- the constant 1 email read in one of the inbox icons (tried everything suggested) see my previous thread
    -- the quick search works very badly instead of perfectly - used to work woncerfully - as I have to jiggle the quick filter button on and off and turn and odd a few of the filter buttons (eg subject etc) to "wake up" the quick filter to sort of get it to work like it used to until very recently
    -- My SENT ITEMS icon in my gmail imap account shows nothing in the main email list - tried repairing folder etc etc etc - whilst we're at it ALL my sent items for gmail accounts have all collectively just up and vanished.
Look I know expressing frustration with a SW tool is forbidden but this is coming close to moving onto another email client. I cant work like this.

Suggestions welcome (before switching clients)

Thanks
Dom

Yosemite 10.10.5
Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,5
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP114.0172.B10
DanRaisch

Re: Thunderbird 45.7.1 completely fouling up?

Post by DanRaisch »

1) Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
2) Is the account in which this phantom email appears a POP or IMAP type account?
3) Is the account in which this filter issue appears a POP or IMAP type account?
4) Have you checked the IMAP account on the Gmail webmail page to see if there are, in fact, any messages in the Sent folder?
thisweeksTBbug

Post by thisweeksTBbug »

Thankyou for taking the time to reply Dan...It is much appreciated.

1) Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
I shall never know as that account vanished completely from the side bar of accounts when I reboot in MSM. Nada - nothing to see just the other IMAP business and gmail a/cs show up

2) Is the account in which this phantom email appears a POP or IMAP type account?
I would imagine IMAP its a work (big University) related Outlook Microsoft Exchange Web server account that requires the ExQuilla plug in to work (which is has and still does fine) except for this sudden issue of the phantom (1) showing in this accounts INBOX icon The Microsoft EWS server location is https://taw.universitynamegoeshere.ac.u ... hange.asmx

3) Is the account in which this filter issue appears a POP or IMAP type account?
It happens on ALL six accounts.

4) Have you checked the IMAP account on the Gmail webmail page to see if there are, in fact, any messages in the Sent folder?

Yes - all good - and this issue was resolved due to the confusion caused by the clumsy way Google Gmail retains its folder categorisations when imported to Thunderbord - so we can strike this one off the list
thisweeksTBbug

Post by thisweeksTBbug »

By the way repairing the folder kills the stupid ghost (1) email unread indictor for - I don tknow a few minutes - then it returns again.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You say "- all good" -- suggesting that there was no phantom message found in the corresponding server folder. Is that the case, that there is no corresponding unread message on the server side?
thisweeksTBbug

Post by thisweeksTBbug »

No - must have confused you. The tedious (1) unread icon bug stays there - it appeared a few weeks back and will not go.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I would imagine IMAP its a work (big University) related Outlook Microsoft Exchange Web server account that requires the ExQuilla plug in to work (which is has and still does fine)
Well, no. It it was an IMAP account you wouldn't need the ExQuilla extension to access the server. It's more likely set up as Microsoft Exchange Web Services. You might try deleting the .msf file associated with the the folder showing the phantom message. Do that with TB closed. The file will be recreated when required.
thisweeksTBbug

Post by thisweeksTBbug »

I really truly did and do need Exquilla to access the service on my MAC - I have written out a long post on this. I gave up. I have limited time (three months of trying and searching) to make it work - and now I get back to using mail as a tool not a tech hobby Im afraid.

So as mentioned in other posts - I've moved bakc (after 6 years) to OSX mail - and I have to say life is so much easier, Exchange is natively supported and Mail just works so much more quickly (no more progress bar pop - ups "copying email to sent folder" that sometimes took for ever - or randomly refused to complete.

I'll check back in on TB in a few years again for sure
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

OK, but that is what I said. If the Exchange server was set up to handle IMAP access you would not need any extensions to get TB to connect with it. Others have reported satisfactorily using that type of set up. When running only as an Exchange server, Thunderbird is not able to establish a connection.