FF 52 pulseaudio is now forced?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
steevz016

FF 52 pulseaudio is now forced?

Post by steevz016 »

Does Firefox work without pulseaudio?

Have the ff devs gone completely insane?
Grumpus

Re: FF 52 pulseaudio is now forced?

Post by Grumpus »

Pulse audio is a system program and usually is only applied to system players and system sounds.
If running Linux you should have the DRM enabled in /edit/preferences/Content which would allow the Widevines html5 to work.
Anything else in the way of players outside of Flash are disabled though there are some workarounds.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
steevz016

Post by steevz016 »

The drm setting has no affect. The browser no longer plays audio. Videos opened and and videos using flash still play with NO audio.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

How about a link to where this does not play.
I tried Youtube a little while ago and had no sound issues.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
foresto

Post by foresto »

steevz016 wrote:Does Firefox work without pulseaudio?
On linux, apparently not any more. :(
steevz016 wrote:Have the ff devs gone complete xx insane?
Looks that way. They're making far-reaching and very short-sighted decisions in a vacuum. It's not the first time they've blundered, but this is the worst example in recent memory.

Dear Firefox Developers,

The PulseAudio requirement renders Firefox useless to me as a general-purpose browser. You have just forced me to spend my time preparing a migration to a different browser on the systems I maintain or support. For this, I resent you. I'll miss Firefox, though. Goodbye.
Last edited by DanRaisch on March 8th, 2017, 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Minor edit for language.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

foresto wrote:Dear Firefox Developers,

The PulseAudio requirement renders Firefox useless to me as a general-purpose browser. You have just forced me to spend my time preparing a migration to a different browser on the systems I maintain or support. For this, I resent you. Goodbye.
mozillaZine is an independent Mozilla community and advocacy site. We're not affiliated or endorsed by the Mozilla Corporation but we love them just the same.

No Mozilla DEV's here and they don't read these forums.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
foresto

Post by foresto »

RobertJ wrote:No Mozilla DEV's here and they don't read these forums.
I know. Sadly, they've made it quite difficult to reach them through official channels. (Perennially broken support website, and relevant bug reports closed to comments.) Oh well. Maybe they'll stumble across messages to them here some day, if they ever take their fingers out of their ears.
francescobat

Post by francescobat »

Same problem i also.
I am forced to change browser for this cause.
I uninstalled pulseaudio time ago and i don't want install it another time.
I'm sorry very much for this choice of Mozilla; i hope they have second thoughts :-|
Bye
Francesco bat
jrawle

Post by jrawle »

I've known this was coming for a while, and so looked for a solution. The best I found was to install an absolute minimum Pulseaudio configuration, courtesy of the great documentation over at Arch Linux:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pu ... pe_to_ALSA

I know it won't be for everyone. I fully understand why some people don't want Pulseaudio on their systems at all. However, my main objection is that I have a soundcard with hardware mixing, and don't want an extra piece of software adding latency. I'm now forced to use it with Firefox, but everything else can continue using ALSA directly.

I should add, I fully agree with the sentiments expressed here about Firefox, its direction and decisions made. I may still switch browser when they scrap extensions (coming in a few versions, I believe...)