Firefox 52 & BBC radio iPlayer

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
alanrf

Firefox 52 & BBC radio iPlayer

Post by alanrf »

I updated to Firefox 52 (64 bit) (on Windows 7 Pro) and found that the option in the BBC radio iPlayer to play the currently live program opens the pop out window as usual but the program does not load and thus cannot be heard.

I reverted to Firefox 51.0.1 (64bit) and the BBC currently live program loads in the pop out window and plays normally.

To confirm I have repeated I have repeated the above process with identical results.

Does anyone know why this update to Firefox 52 has eliminated the ability to play the currently live BBC radio program in Firefox? Has anyone found a circumvention to the problem other than my current situation of reverting to Firefox 51.0.1?

Thanks for any insight or assistance.
TheVisitor

Re: Firefox 52 & BBC radio iPlayer

Post by TheVisitor »

Have a link so others can test ?
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08h0kt3

Wndows 10 Home, Fx 52.0, Flash 24.0.0.221

Flash works properly with, for example ABC News; BBC site says "Sorry, you need Flash to play this. Enable it in your browser or download it here." BBC site works correctly in MS Edge.
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

John Liebson wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08h0kt3

Wndows 10 Home, Fx 52.0, Flash 24.0.0.221

Flash works properly with, for example ABC News; BBC site says "Sorry, you need Flash to play this. Enable it in your browser or download it here." BBC site works correctly in MS Edge.
I disabled by Flash on latest Nightly build and the Radio Player in the upper right corner plays for me, I assume with HTML5.

Also the Choir video plays without issue.
alanrf

Post by alanrf »

My thanks for the response, it appears I did not stress the error condition.

With Firefox 52 I experience no problems in iPlayer playing BBC radio programs program that have already been broadcast.

The problem is when iPlayer indicates that the program I want to listen to (for example the 3 hour long morning news program Today) is currently being broadcast on air. It offers the option to listen to that program starting at the current point in the broadcast and it opens a pop out window to play the program (programs that have already been broadcast play in the main Firefox iPlayer window). The radio program in the pop out window does hot play in Firefox does not play in Firefox 52 but it does play in Firefox 51.0.1.

This is not an issue of Flash it is simply the difference between installing Firefox 52 (doesn't play) and installing Firefox 51.0.1 (does play). No other changes of any kind are involved. This condition is perfectly repeatable.
alanrf

Post by alanrf »

Incidentally, this means that none of the 17 radio stations of the BBC will stream live in the BBC iPlayer with Firefox 52 (at least not for me)
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

I realized last night that I had not tried BBC with Fx running in Safe Mode; just did that, it worked. I will see if I can track down which extension is blocking it later today (or at least some time before the world ends...).
Muddy7

Post by Muddy7 »

I am encountering the same problem.

The problem replicates on both my Windows 7 and Windows 10 devices when they are updated to FF v.52.0.

On my XP device, after updating I receive a warning that Flash is being blocked because it is an old, unsecure version. After clicking to unblock Flash, my BBC live radio (World Service) functioned correctly. I then updated to the latest Flash version and this time BBC World Service live would not finish loading (the same problem as with my Windows 7 and 10 devices) and there was no warning. Conclusion: I think this has something to do with Firefox v52.0 and the latest version of Flash: 24.0 r0

Incidentally, I may sound like a real rookie here (perhaps because I am LOL!!) but how do you go back to an older version of Firefox?
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

Working okay here on Fx 52/W10/Flash 24.0.0.221. With or without Flash enabled.
Muddy7 wrote:I am encountering the same problem.

The problem replicates on both my Windows 7 and Windows 10 devices when they are updated to FF v.52.0.

On my XP device, after updating I receive a warning that Flash is being blocked because it is an old, unsecure version. After clicking to unblock Flash, my BBC live radio (World Service) functioned correctly. I then updated to the latest Flash version and this time BBC World Service live would not finish loading (the same problem as with my Windows 7 and 10 devices) and there was no warning. Conclusion: I think this has something to do with Firefox v52.0 and the latest version of Flash: 24.0 r0

Incidentally, I may sound like a real rookie here (perhaps because I am LOL!!) but how do you go back to an older version of Firefox?
Going backwards isn't generally recommended, simply because you will be missing out on security updates.

You should try Firefox Safe Mode - with Flash enabled - before doing anything else. If it works in Safe Mode, then the cause isn't as simple as 'this has something to do with Firefox v52.0 and the latest version of Flash'.
Muddy7

Post by Muddy7 »

Vitesse wrote: You should try Firefox Safe Mode - with Flash enabled - before doing anything else. If it works in Safe Mode, then the cause isn't as simple as 'this has something to do with Firefox v52.0 and the latest version of Flash'.
Sorry mate! Doesn't work. Safe Mode disables my extensions and leaves my three plugins including Flash enabled. However BBC live radio still refuses to finish loading.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Might be to do with this - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p13456067

...then again, might not be.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

Found the secret, at least for me: After clicking on the "V" in the middle of the screen, then on the symbol at the lower left corner, I noticed that a Flash "f" then appeared in the upper left corner. When I click on that, the program starts, even though there is then an "A" where the "F" had been. Clicking on the latter "A" seems to have no effect, but if I click on whatever the symbol is that first appears lower left, then on the obvious right-facing play arrow, then I get the "Flash is required" message. I had been mistaking that lower-left symbol for a "play this, please" one, and thus thought that the actual play arrow that then appears in its place indicated that the program was ready. Why running Fx in Safe Mode let the program work, that I don't know; I suspect that the sequence of symbols is different between Safe Mode and normal mode, but am not going to take the time to check that theory.

Until a few minutes ago, I had not noticed the upper-left Flash symbol, which for me, enables Flash and thus the program itself.

No, I am not "Symbol Simon," nor did I meet a Pieman....
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

Muddy7 wrote:
Vitesse wrote: You should try Firefox Safe Mode - with Flash enabled - before doing anything else. If it works in Safe Mode, then the cause isn't as simple as 'this has something to do with Firefox v52.0 and the latest version of Flash'.
Sorry mate! Doesn't work. Safe Mode disables my extensions and leaves my three plugins including Flash enabled. However BBC live radio still refuses to finish loading.
What happens if you disable Flash by setting it to 'never activate' in about:addons? That should force Firefox to use HTML5.

If it still doesn't work, try deleting all bbc.co.uk cookies (delete the entire folder) and try again in normal mode with Flash enabled. If it's still not working, clear your cache. One or both of those ought to solve it ...
Muddy7

Post by Muddy7 »

!!!!! SOLUTION FOUND !!!!! (serendipitously)

John Liebson:
Not sure what the "V"s and "A"s and "F"s are all about—but it looks from your link in your first post as if you're talking about playing back previously broadcast programmes, whilst alanrf and I are talking about live radio: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_world_service

Anyway your "V" got me looking afresh, and seeing the sideways "V" button (basically, the Play button) near the top of the screen on the right (and to the left of the speaker volume icon), I decided to click it and voilà! I now have live radio. What has changed is that in previous FF versions BBC live radio opened in Play mode (and so you saw a square instead of a sideways V: the square being the symbol for Stop). It now opens in Stop mode and so you have to click Play to begin listening. Simple as that!!

Vitesse:
Thanks for the tips but, as you can see from above, this problem proved to be a hyper-simple one!!
alanrf

Post by alanrf »

Muddy7 well done!

Were I to be picky I could say that this is a circumvention since FF 52 has reduced the intended functionality of this part of the BBC iPlayer and will potentially aggravate many FF users in when they update to FF 52 especially in the UK, BBC radio being a prevalent media source there. I hope that those wanting live streaming of the BBC with Firefox will find this thread.

Nevertheless I congratulate you on finding a way to make it work ... it certainly does the job for me until the FF developers or those of iPlayer (the latter being notoriously slow) get round to implementing a solution for this FF 52 failing.