Firefox 52 & BBC radio iPlayer

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Frank Lion

Re: Firefox 52 & BBC radio iPlayer

Post by Frank Lion »

Live streaming is not the same as autoplay and this change was probably intentional. Check about:config and see if there's a setting there and if it can be toggled.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Muddy7

Post by Muddy7 »

alanrf wrote:Muddy7 well done!

Were I to be picky I could say that this is a circumvention since FF 52 has reduced the intended functionality of this part of the BBC iPlayer and will potentially aggravate many FF users in when they update to FF 52 especially in the UK, BBC radio being a prevalent media source there. I hope that those wanting live streaming of the BBC with Firefox will find this thread.

Nevertheless I congratulate you on finding a way to make it work ... it certainly does the job for me until the FF developers or those of iPlayer (the latter being notoriously slow) get round to implementing a solution for this FF 52 failing.
I'd say it was simply a little programming bug inadvertently introduced by an FF developer. I can't so far find any other browser that makes BBC live radio iPlayer behave like this. Moreover it appears, as you say, to introduce a pointless reduction of the intended functionality, added to which it confuses as to the true nature of the problem (a status message indicates that the iPlayer app is perpetually "Loading..."), as a result throwing those of us trying to resolve the issue completely off the scent (at least, those like me who are IT rookies :( ).
Btw I don't know if my discovery merits congratulations as, as I said, I discovered the solution completely by accident.
Frank Lion wrote:Live streaming is not the same as autoplay and this change was probably intentional. Check about:config and see if there's a setting there and if it can be toggled.
Maybe. But see my comments above.
Can you suggest which about:config setting that may be??
alanrf

Post by alanrf »

The problem of live streaming of BBC radio programs in the BB iPlayer has disappeared, for me, with the installation of Firefox 52.0.1. Programs now live stream as intended.
Muddy7

Post by Muddy7 »

alanrf wrote:The problem of live streaming of BBC radio programs in the BB iPlayer has disappeared, for me, with the installation of Firefox 52.0.1. Programs now live stream as intended.
Confirmed. I assume FF corrected their bug in this latest update.