Is it possible to change toolbar text colour?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Rogueblue

Post by Rogueblue »

Hi

When changing Personas the text remains a light blue, which is often hard to read.

TIA
ROb
tanstaafl

Re: Is it possible to change toolbar text colour?

Post by tanstaafl »

I'd assume you could do that using CSS snippets in the optional userChrome.css file in the chrome directory in the profile. The first problem is figuring out the appropriate window name. If you can't find that by searching this forum you'd have figure it out using the DOM Inspector add-on

I frequently use a "green marble" persona which has easy to read black text in the toolbar. There are so many persona why not try a slightly different one instead of trying to override the text color?
Rogueblue

Post by Rogueblue »

Phew was hoping there was a add-on ... CSS not my thing, wouldn't know how.
But thanks you.
Rogueblue

Post by Rogueblue »

Ps ... is there away to change customize the icons? Sure it was possible in the past ....

TIA
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

You could use a "complete" theme. They can customize icons. See https://addons.mozilla.org/nn-no/thunde ... te-themes/
RosieRose

Post by RosieRose »

tanstaafl wrote:I'd assume you could do that using CSS snippets in the optional userChrome.css file in the chrome directory in the profile. The first problem is figuring out the appropriate window name. If you can't find that by searching this forum you'd have figure it out using the DOM Inspector add-on

I frequently use a "green marble" persona which has easy to read black text in the toolbar. There are so many persona why not try a slightly different one instead of trying to override the text color?
Please forgive my ignorance, but I didn't understand one thing you said above. No offense intended, here, I'm just not a geekhead. I don't know what "CSS snippets are in the optional userChrome.css file" are, and it really doesn't matter as I don't use Chrome.

I don't know what using a "green marble" persona is which would have black text in the toolbar instead of that horrid light blue coloring which is really difficult for me to read.

So, back to the original question, is there any way most of us older folx who don't know anything about computers and IT can change that light blue color in the task bar to something else?
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi RosieRose,
Just a FWIW...re; the userChrome.css mentioned.
It has nothing to do with the Chrome browser.
ref; > http://kb.mozillazine.org/UserChrome.css

&, as tanstaafl mentioned, you can always try a Complete Theme, which changes everything in the UI.
There are many to choose from.
> https://addons.mozilla.org/eN-US/thunde ... te-themes/

If none take your fancy, then you may have to wait till a "coder" comes along, to change the Status Bar colour to your liking.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

A persona (theme) changes the background color of the toolbar/tab area at the top of the main window. Think of it as a "skin", if you've heard that term before. I use the green marble theme because that improves the contrast of the text in the toolbars, making them easier to read. It doesn't change the background color of any popup windows or list boxes, which (at least on my system) are still black text against a white background.
RosieRose

Post by RosieRose »

LIMPET235 wrote:Hi RosieRose,
Just a FWIW...re; the userChrome.css mentioned.
It has nothing to do with the Chrome browser.
ref; > http://kb.mozillazine.org/UserChrome.css

&, as tanstaafl mentioned, you can always try a Complete Theme, which changes everything in the UI.
There are many to choose from.
> https://addons.mozilla.org/eN-US/thunde ... te-themes/

If none take your fancy, then you may have to wait till a "coder" comes along, to change the Status Bar colour to your liking.
When I download a Complete Theme a window pops up and says, "How do do you want to open this file" with no suggestions given, but there's a link to the App store. Also, under the App Store link, it says, More Apps, and the list is...
1. Notepad
2. Office XML Handler (this won't work because I don't have Office)
3. Paint
4. Windows Media Player
5. Word 2016
6. Wordpad

What do app do I need to open this .xpi file, please and thank you? :)
HP Pavilion 15.6" Laptop, 12 GB DDR4-2133 SDRAM, Intel® Core™ i5, 1 TB SATA, Intel® HD Graphics 620, DVD Writer
RosieRose

Post by RosieRose »

tanstaafl wrote:A persona (theme) changes the background color of the toolbar/tab area at the top of the main window. Think of it as a "skin", if you've heard that term before. I use the green marble theme because that improves the contrast of the text in the toolbars, making them easier to read. It doesn't change the background color of any popup windows or list boxes, which (at least on my system) are still black text against a white background.
Oh, yes, skins. I'm familiar with skins. Thanks for that image.....:)
HP Pavilion 15.6" Laptop, 12 GB DDR4-2133 SDRAM, Intel® Core™ i5, 1 TB SATA, Intel® HD Graphics 620, DVD Writer
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"What do app do I need to open this .xpi file?"

You don't open it. You click on the gear like icon in the upper right corner of the tools -> add-ons -> get extensions window in Thunderbird and select "install add-on from file"