can't clear email password

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
c-post

can't clear email password

Post by c-post »

Help! I have used Seamonkey for many years, but I now seem unable to reset my email password for one particular email account, although the others work. When I go into the Tools/Password Manager/Manage Stored passwords, where I can usually clear an old password, it is showing a warning message of an unresponsive, chrome-related script. "A script on the page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding" What the heck is a Chrome-related script doing within the Seamonkey browser, I do not know. Both the "continue" and "stop script" options were unproductive.

Normally when reset a password on the email account, which I had just done, Seamonkey would prompt me for the new password. On rebooting, it did not.

How can I unlock out of this situation?

thanks

John
DanRaisch

Re: can't clear email password

Post by DanRaisch »

That's not Chrome with a capital C but chrome with a lower case c. https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc ... hrome_code

Close SeaMonkey. Navigate to the profile folder -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_SeaMonkey
Locate two file - key3.db and signons.sqlite. Rename them key3db.old and signonssqlite.old respectively.
Restart SeaMonkey and see if you are able to access the accounts and save passwords.
c-post

Post by c-post »

Thanks, that worked, although I have to recall and reset all my email passwords, of which there must be about a dozen. I suspect I also have to reset all my defaulted website log in passwords and ID's?? Bit of a pain, but at least I am over the hump! Thanks!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome. It sounds as though something corrupted one or both of those files, leaving the only option to remove/rename them. You might want to periodically back up those files, or better yet the full profile. That way you can simply replace corrupted files should the need arise.
frg

Post by frg »

This menu opens the Data Manager. There have been some reports of it initially hanging after upgrading to 2.46.

The workaround usually is to delete or rename the webappsstore.* files in your profile. They contain session and web storage data and seem to cause a problem usually in very old profiles. Unfortunately not reproducible with a new profile or I would have probably fixed it by now. Might be because of size or just too much old cruft in it.