The future of Seamonkey?

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
frg

Re: The future of Seamonkey?

Post by frg »

Well I wouldn't worry too much aber TB. Has a lot more volunteers and funding available.

>> Now, what they will do is anyone's guess, but it is worth noting.

Frank,

I know but if they are now not interested I don't see them much interested in the future to be on the safe side. And also a few people with administrative skills wouldn't hurt either Its now a nice little shoebox operation and much fun working together but a little too small for my taste :)

FRG
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

frg wrote:Its now a nice little shoebox operation and much fun working together but a little too small for my taste :)
Well, as they say, 'you can take a horse to water, but you can't make it drink' -
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14304881

Look at the thread title, look at the date, look at who I'm replying to.

So, it's not like people are not trying to offer help/advice. At this stage, even an awkward geek shuffling about and mumbling into his shoes would be a welcome change compared with the deafening silence and outright vanishing acts so far.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Eyes-Only

Post by Eyes-Only »

Well Frank... I've been shuffling around now for the past SEVERAL years (heck! I can't even remember how to type - let alone how to HTML a BOLD mark a word into here like I once did! ROFLMAO!!! :) taking me forever to type this reply even...) let alone not only mumbling around into my shoes but drooling too. eck! That doesn't paint a very pretty picture now does it? ;) In fact mate, I'm a mighty wet noodle away from the oldfolks home these days. Only reason why I'm not there is 'cos my wife says she's miss my doe-brown eyes. Well... you know what I tell her those are full (<--hey! it worked! LOL!) of, eh?

Aww shoot! and these days I can't even remember any of my gecko coding. Then I saw all my beautiful work ripped out of Firefox anyway. <sigh> So what does it matter? LOL

Anywho Frank... didn;t have anything else better to do and thought I'd come by and harrass you. Glad to see you, mon bon ami BenoitRen de Belgique ;) (?) - keep using your Win95 if that's what you're comfortable with and love mon ami! For me I switched to Linux at 98se's near end and have have so much fun back when I was able to code for that - and Frank? Thanks for your themes my friend! I've just installed in both my FF & SM and they are simply magnifique! I just wished I even had two pennies to rub together to hand over to you, but then again I think you already know that, eh?

Take care one and all!

A bientot!

Eyes-Only
L'Peau-Rouge
--
"We never know just how much a kind word, or a gesture, will lift the spirits of a person in need and heal them." KDpup-484, LucidPup-511, SM2+/FX4+/TB31+
therube

Post by therube »

(Welcome back, Eyes-Only :-). Seems this thread is pulling everyone out of the woodwork ;-). Next thing you know, Thumper will stop by.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Eyes-Only, mon ami! :)

Very good to hear from you again and I hope you're keeping as well as you can be.
Eyes-Only wrote:- and Frank? Thanks for your themes my friend! I've just installed in both my FF & SM and they are simply magnifique!
Many thanks.

I worked out a faster method of making and maintaining themes a couple of years back, which means more free time for me. As I'm sure you've noticed, these themes are 'less flamboyant' than my usual themes, that's because I've aimed these mainly for workplace and used a softer look on these.

Great to see you around again,

Frank :)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

Any ETA on the next stable release of SeaMonkey?
IMHO we'll be seeing one very soon.
Am thinking it'll probably be 2.49 at this point in time. :-k
I do have faith in the developers of SeaMonkey and don't foresee an end to our beloved browser.
I have da faith! ;)
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

L, You fail to also mention how "beloved" the email processor and composer are.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

The 2.48 beta is "almost" there. As for 2.49, it will come from the ESR branch and thus may need some more tweaks. Thus, it may be easier to release 2.48 from comm-release first with the current setup (also potentially to prepare for switching channels with the next release) and then 2.49 or 2.49.1 from comm-esr52. Tracking bug is #1346939.
Dark_Ronius

Post by Dark_Ronius »

I have been on the fringe, keeping an eye on discussions in the Mozilla community, since I started using Mozilla Suite as a teenager in 2003. Originally I always preferred the suite and Seamonkey to Firefox/Thunderbird as I much preferred an all in one experience, being more efficient on the system as well as just making more sense to me than having up to 3/4 applications essentially running on the same engine but each bundling and running a separate copy of that engine. Eventually, however, add-on support swindled and I moved to a Firefox/Thunderbird combo.

I was excited by the prospect of XULRunner a number of years later. I jumped onto projects like Instantbird, Songbird (the latter of which I only stopped using the Nightingale version a few months ago). Again, it appeared it could go in the direction of a central engine powering all of these things (like an inverse Seamonkey). Not only that but, as an obsessive computer hobbyist with only a little experience in coding and more in scripting, I could finally see the link between creating a simple extension and building my own application. Something which up to then felt like voodoo. Then, after being dropped, web apps interested me to a lesser extent. They allowed me to have an experience like the Facebook app on Android, but also with my privacy extensions in the background... I could see a logic in this "privacy layer" which could still apply an app-like experience. Again, dropped.

What interests me most is that Seamonkey will become the only Mozilla-approved browser (if lip service) to officially support XUL and old-style add-ons from November. I figured if there was any time to finally pull my finger out and try contributing something useful to the community, it would be now. I also think the official link and still supporting XUL is something the browser/suite could really play on to entice people to it, I'm not quite as keen on Pale Moon. For me, it's really keeping that spirit of an open system easily modifiable, the prospect/hope of keeping an equivalent to XULrunner alive in some way. Seamonkey seems the closest to that dream, along with probably becoming the gatekeepers of the XUL side of things in the future depending on collaboration with Thunderbird. Even though I've never done serious coding up to now, it was always the philosophy that brought me back to Mozilla.

TL;DR This probably contributes very little to the conversation, but my point is I want to help any way I can. I'd like to attempt porting some simpler extensions to Seamonkey, maybe even create a theme more similar to current Firefox (I know the project was meant to retain the old design decisions, although I actually don't mind the current FF interface, again it's the philosophy in being more restricted to that interface that bothers me). I do have some (crazy?) ideas for a "reimagined" Seamonkey interface for today's age, as I don't think the FF interface is appropriate for the features and uses for Seamonkey. Guess it's time to dust down my old tweaks/"hello world"'s from years ago and get familiar with it again!!
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

Peter Creasey wrote:L, You fail to also mention how "beloved" the email processor and composer are.
In my comment I meant ALL of the components of SeaMonkey.
Sorry about any confusion! :wink:
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

rsx11m wrote:The 2.48 beta is "almost" there. As for 2.49, it will come from the ESR branch and thus may need some more tweaks. Thus, it may be easier to release 2.48 from comm-release first with the current setup (also potentially to prepare for switching channels with the next release) and then 2.49 or 2.49.1 from comm-esr52. Tracking bug is #1346939.
Good to know! :D
Am really looking forward to the newest version! :mrgreen:
Joe1962

Post by Joe1962 »

Wow, BenoitRen, Eyes-Only... feels like coming home again, LOL!
SM (usually latest stable) on Linux Mint 19 x86_64.
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

ewong is working hard to get 2.48 out the door and ready for stable release! :D
2.48b1
I have faith that he'll make it. :wink:
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

Looks like we're really getting close to a stable release! =D>
The beta version of 2.48 is now available for download.
2.48b1-candidates/build7
Not sure if it'll hit #9 like the last time for 2.46 until the stable release.
KUDOS to ewong! =D>
Last edited by LuvKomputrs on April 14th, 2017, 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

At the moment I just downloaded a version from Adrian Kalla's site.
SeaMonkey 2.48
I chose the latest-comm-release that are available for both Linux and Windows.
Working very well for me at the moment. :D
I think that Adrian will be working on the SeaMonkey council together with ewong, etc. to work on further releases... :-k
Not 100% sure about that, but, I think that was mentioned at one of the last status meetings?
And also would like to say that I am very pleased to see progress being made in our beloved browser! =D>
KUDOS to Adrian! =D>