seamonkey and google search tool anytime

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
bob c

seamonkey and google search tool anytime

Post by bob c »

I am using SM and nothing else but my profile install. No addons-extensions-plugins added, just the basic theme. Other words, I deleted it and reinstalled, and that's it.

Google search won't respond right. I even signed in using my FF login, and it still won't respond right in SM. Whether I'm signed in or not.

Google search page does not look or display right either, it takes "setting-tools" and puts them under the other 5 categories, instead of beside them.

If I do a search, say for SM cookies, it bring up the page, but will not let me use the "tool" to specify the time frame to use. That part is just frozen. This is kind of a big deal to me.

Any help on this. thanks
DanRaisch

Re: seamonkey and google search tool anytime

Post by DanRaisch »

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
bob c

Post by bob c »

DanRaisch wrote:Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode

the same display, and reaction in safe mode. Don't understand this. Nothing in safe mode to disable anyway, again, it's an install with a profile, -and that's it. Nothing else.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Safe mode does more than disable extensions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoting dfoulkes:

-- What safe-mode does ..... Safe Mode temporarily affects the following:
* All extensions are disabled. --- * The userChrome.css and userContent.css files are ignored.
* The default theme is used, without a persona. --- * The default toolbar layout is used.
* The Just-in-time (JIT) JavaScript compiler is disabled. --- * Hardware acceleration is disabled.

-- Safe Mode has no effect on the following --
* The status of plugins is not affected.
* Custom preferences are not affected.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LewS

Post by LewS »

You don't say what version of SeaMonkey, but I had the
same problem when testing 2.49 aurora earlier today.
Doesn't happen to me with 2.46.
frg

Post by frg »

I think there already was a similar thread here about search recently. That was caused by incorrect user agent sniffing. Try prefbar or another user agent switcher and see if it works with a Firefox UA string.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

LewS wrote:You don't say what version of SeaMonkey, but I had the
same problem when testing 2.49 aurora earlier today.
Doesn't happen to me with 2.46.
Hi Lew, it's a UA sniffing thing. More accurately, it's a Google thing.

The quick test is to turn off JavaScript under Edit>.Prefs>Advanced>Scripts and Plugins and restart.

I have JS off for that site anyway, by using YesScript as the site options layout is far better without it, especially in the Images section. Stuff all loads quicker as well.

Alternatively, you can treat like we do with Facebook and -

about:config > right click any entry> new string > general.useragent.override.google.com (in my case, general.useragent.override.google.co.uk) > suitable string value, such as - Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0

You might prefer to use this one instead - Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko ..as M$ change their versions much less often than Firefox and you will not have to update it every 6 months or so.

You do it once and you're done.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
LewS

Post by LewS »

Thanks Frank, the YesScript option worked well. I have used
it in the past but would not have thought it to be a solution
to this problem.

If the OP comes back this will help him also,
bob c

Post by bob c »

got the google search to show and the date search time to work correctly--by adding a user agent extension addon and using my FF useragent string.

edit: now if I could just get SM to not show the google redirects of the weather sites warning page, as in FF, it would make me happy along with "Tab Mix Plus" being able to redo the tabs.
therube

Post by therube »

The quick test is to turn off JavaScript under Edit>.Prefs>Advanced>Scripts and Plugins and restart.
Disabling JavaScript should be interactive, AFAIK, with no (browser) restart required.
(Now if a page serves you certain code under the assumption that JS has not been disabled, or if you might need to refresh a page, that is different.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

therube wrote:
Disabling JavaScript should be interactive, AFAIK, with no (browser) restart required.
(Now if a page serves you certain code under the assumption that JS has not been disabled, or if you might need to refresh a page, that is different.)
Haven't we had this discussion before about you not putting the name of the person you are quoting in your posts? Please don't persist with doing that, it is confusing and disrespectful.

I would remind you -

#1. My role here is to communicate simply and effectively and to already take into account likely scenarios, so that other people seeking assistance don't have to.

#2. I am the guy who coded up the JS toggle button and know how JS works and under what circumstances it will appear not to.

#3. Nothing is to be gained by 'showing how clever you are', if the sole result is that you just confuse people.

:)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
scott-cam

Post by scott-cam »

I had this issue with Google searches as well, so I've just tried to install YesScript to deal with it. However, I couldn't get YesScript to work on Sea Monkey (running 2.48).

But then I tried converting YesScript using http://addonconverter.fotokraina.com/convert.php, and it worked. (The converter warned me that YesScript was supposed to be compatible with Sea Monkey anyway, so installing the converted version might not be a good idea, but I did it anyway and it's fine).