Future Of Java Runtime on SM

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
barbaz

Re: Future Of Java Runtime on SM

Post by barbaz »

Better yet, if you have sufficient hardware, set up a virtual machine specifically for use with Java plugin and the Java-supporting browser of your choice. This has significant security advantages over "just using" Java plugin, and you can design the VM specifically around a specific version of Java if you want.

I still have a Java plugin (IcedTea) installed on one of my VMs just for the one or two Java applets that appletviewer doesn't like.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Rich-M wrote:Aha so if I use the ESR version of Firefox or Sea Monkey then I can continue to have Java!
That's a yes according to current announcements for Firefox 52 ESR; for SeaMonkey 2.49+, it will depend on what's possible and on which branch future releases will be based on.
Rich-M

Post by Rich-M »

That's just great and it solves all my problems....I suppose the next big battle will be Adobe Flash Player!
derz00

Post by derz00 »

Hi folks,
This works to enable java and other plugins with out needing to download ESR.
In admin:config
add a new boolean named
plugin.load_flash_only
set to "False"
Restart firefox, and you're good to go!!!

Derek
James

Post by James »

derz00 wrote:Hi folks,
add a new boolean named
plugin.load_flash_only
set to "False"

Derek
No need to make any changes with Firefox 52.0 ESR in about:config (not admin:config).

Note for Windows users, only the 64-bit Flash Player and Silverlight Plugins are white listed to run so you need to use 32-bit Firefox and 32-bit Plugins if you want to use other Plugins such as Java.

Besides Oracle is looking to discontinue their Java Plugin. https://blogs.oracle.com/java-platform-group/
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

SeaMonkey 2.49 is planned to come from 52 ESR now, thus there should be no issue with using NPAPI plugins other than Flash for SeaMonkey releases for the next year. This should be completely transparent for the user, thus without the need to switch anything.
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

James wrote:
derz00 wrote:Hi folks,
add a new boolean named
plugin.load_flash_only
set to "False"

Derek
No need to make any changes with Firefox 52.0 ESR in about:config (not admin:config).

Note for Windows users, only the 64-bit Flash Player and Silverlight Plugins are white listed to run so you need to use 32-bit Firefox and 32-bit Plugins if you want to use other Plugins such as Java.

Besides Oracle is looking to discontinue their Java Plugin. https://blogs.oracle.com/java-platform-group/
im sure i read with Java 9 there wont be a Plugin entry at all in the browser, it should sit in Control-Panel an or ( control-center )
Rich-M

Post by Rich-M »

Amazing but Waterfox 64 bit installed saying that Npapi plugins would be disabled and it never happened....all my worrying for nothing.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

-Arch- wrote:im sure i read with Java 9 there wont be a Plugin entry at all in the browser, it should sit in Control-Panel an or ( control-center )
From James' links on the previous page of this thread:
[url]https://blogs.oracle.com/java-platform-group/entry/moving_to_a_plugin_free[/url] (Jan 27, 2016) wrote:Oracle plans to deprecate the Java browser plugin in JDK 9. This technology will be removed from the Oracle JDK and JRE in a future Java SE release.
Java Web Start has been distributed since Java 7 already.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Rich-M wrote:Amazing but Waterfox 64 bit installed saying that Npapi plugins would be disabled and it never happened....all my worrying for nothing.
In Gecko 52 it's a simple preference switch that they apparently defaulted to "allow all", but it will be gone with 53 already (and strictly speaking discussion on Waterfox are a bit off-topic here).
Rich-M

Post by Rich-M »

Yeah I get that though Waterfox really is Firefox...
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

... and this thread is about SeaMonkey, so very strictly speaking Firefox is off-topic as well. :mrgreen: