Secure log in Question

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
kevs

Re: Secure log in Question

Post by kevs »

There used to be support, I emailed owner Sebastian in the past, but no none I think. I was just hoping somewhere here could provide an easy quick answer. Thanks Jay Kuk, I have no idea, that's why I'm posting.

saved password exceptions, nothing happens when I click that. The site I'm trying to add is:
https://globalgatewaye4.firstdata.com/

credit card online place.
MAC USER
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

I think I have one site like that. It's not Firefox or Secure Login, but the site choosing not to allow the saving of login information. IMHO.

Edit: That site being Bank of America. I always have to type my password. I can select to have the site remember my username.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Many sites with sensitive information (such as banks, brokerages, etc) are coded to prevent saving login information. And some with not-so-sensitive information too, it seems. This is for your protection to prevent unauthorized access to your accounts by other people using the same computer.

If you are willing to accept the risk of having this data saved, you SOMETIMES can get around this prohibition (depending on how it was coded on the original page - it must have used an "autocomplete=off" directive) via a bookmarklet which you activate while on the page, and before submitting your login data. If it works, FFox will pop up the usual "save this login data?" query when you log in.

Here's one good source of bookmarklets:
http://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/
Go there and read up on bookmarklets, then click on the 'Form bookmarklets' link and drag the "Remember Password" one to your bookmark bar.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
kevs

Post by kevs »

Thanks Wait, good point, but I still think there may be a non financial I cannot get secure log in to work anymore.

Do you both use secure log in a lot? Isn't there a click box to not ask for a site, and is there a way to undo that?

Maka, did not understand your post.
MAC USER
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

kevs wrote:Let's try this way:
I'm going to a website that wants a log in/ pass
I click the secure log in and it says no data / log in.
How do I get my user/ pass into secure log in?
This thread seems to bouncing around a bit...Menu is/should be there on the top of your browser.... Menu is the whole line of stuff... you know... File/Edit/View... etc...
.... now, go back to Tools/Options/Security and on that page is a line under Logins...should be on the right... click it and any site that you've told Firefox to not save password stuff should be listed in there.

As for your quoted post above... Secure Login 'works' with what Firefox has saved as far as username and pw... it's basically a user interface to the saved passwords ... is all..

So, you have to actually enter your username and pw and then Firefox should ask you if you want to save it... save it... and then from that point on Secure Login now sees it in there... if you don't have Firefox save it in the first place... Secure Login won't see it.

As others have posted... some sites 'force' Firefox to 'not' really save password stuff... it's a security feature of their site. I have a couple of sites like that... one being Ameritrade... so, what I did was use an extension that allows me to force the info into Firefox 'but' in my case the site still messes around with that stuff when I visit it... so, rather than fight the GODS ... I used the below extension to enter my stuff into Firefox and when I visit say... Ameritrade... I just get into Options/Security and display my login info for Ameritrade... I copy/paste it from Options into their login page and I'm happy then... gladly I don't have to do that 10 times a day... that's about all that I have about this....You can also use this extension to add login stuff....
Saved Password Editor :: Add-ons for Firefox
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

kevs wrote:Thanks Wait, good point, but I still think there may be a non financial I cannot get secure log in to work anymore.

Do you both use secure log in a lot? Isn't there a click box to not ask for a site, and is there a way to undo that?
I use Secure Login (Web Extension) 0.1.4. If I right click on the button in the toolbar I can view the saved password for the site I am on.

The user is asked to save the information the first time they enter it for a site. I'm not sure what the other options are.

As dfoulkes points out, the site should be listed in Exceptions in the Security section of Options.

If not there. Have you tried opening the History Sidebar, finding the site, right click and select "Forget about this site"? That may clear the setting.
kevs

Post by kevs »

Thanks D good post. What do you mean my Menu? For Secure Log in I just see an icon of square and a key.

Do you use Secure Log it?

Is Saved Password editor an add on similar to Secure Log in?

Thanks Walt, wow, I never went into the right click and looked at the user passwords. Which shows that if my computer got stolen the thief would know everything user names and the passwords. Is there a way to disable that, as I have all that info on an excel sheet. And on my excel sheet the passwords, half of it, is coded -- but in secure password, there it is visible, crazy.

When I right click exceptions nothing comes up or happens. Hence does that mean 100% then the site I'm wanting to save a password, is just not allowing it?
MAC USER
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

kevs wrote:
Thanks Walt, wow, I never went into the right click and looked at the user passwords. Which shows that if my computer got stolen the thief would know everything user names and the passwords. Is there a way to disable that, as I have all that info on an excel sheet. And on my excel sheet the passwords, half of it, is coded -- but in secure password, there it is visible, crazy.

When I right click exceptions nothing comes up or happens. Hence does that mean 100% then the site I'm wanting to save a password, is just not allowing it?
If you don't see any exceptions, then I would think the site is not allowing it.

Have you tried going to the site so it is in your history, open the History Sidebar (Ctrl+H), find the site, right click, and click "Forget About This Site"? Then try again.

After that I'm out of ideas.
kevs

Post by kevs »

Thanks Walt, where do I click exactly? I did the the sidebar up, for history?
MAC USER
kevs

Post by kevs »

BTW, all sudden I notice a little key symbol showing up at the bottom of log in screens. Is this new for Secure Log in? Never seen it before, and all over now.
MAC USER
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

That key has been there as far as I can remember... it turns yellow when it has the data needed for filling in the using info.
kevs

Post by kevs »

Wow, never seen it before, ever. I've always had to mouse up to the top of the screen and click that key on toolbar. This is nice. I don't see anything turning yellow yet.

D, so how long have you been using secure log in? and how long for saved password editor? Is one better than other?
MAC USER
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

kevs wrote:Wow, never seen it before, ever. I've always had to mouse up to the top of the screen and click that key on toolbar. This is nice. I don't see anything turning yellow yet.

D, so how long have you been using secure log in? and how long for saved password editor? Is one better than other?
There are about 2 of my secured sites where (even though I have their login info saved in Firefox) ... that key never turns yellow... and as others have mentioned, the site seems to have control over some of that 'saving of data' because 'they' don't trust 'us' to control our system... but that is OK... and that is why I installed that Saved password editor... I can use that extension to force the saving of that info... BUT, it still won't allow Secure login to do it's job properly because even in those sites that key never turns yellow... and when I hit those sites I open up Options/Security etc... and copy/paste my username/password from that area into the site I'm visiting...

So... that editor extension is just used to give me more control over what I need...
Plus... I've been using the Secure login for many years... the other one... about a year or so.

BTW... if you never see that key turn color ... yet that extension is filling in your login info... maybe you have an options in there that is messing with that extension.... know what I mean?
kevs

Post by kevs »

Another site today wanted to do auto log in, Godaddy.com, but after manual, secure log in box did not some up to offer update. Not a Bank.
MAC USER
kevs

Post by kevs »

I undersood the gist I think: thanks. I've never seen yellow ever. If I do it means it worked?

No support for secure log in correct?

Is it odd that with Godaddy today, no offer to me to save a password?

"options in there that is messing with that extension"-- not sure, sorry D
MAC USER