Changes in Firefox 57

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
rebop

Re: Old Firefox Extensions Will Stop Working in Firefox 57,

Post by rebop »

Can someone tell me if I can install 52 ESR over 51? And will there be a 52 ESR portable?

I'm in bet hedging mode. 52 has not broken anything for me so going to draw a line - at least for now.

~Bob
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

rebop wrote:Can someone tell me if I can install 52 ESR over 51? And will there be a 52 ESR portable?

I'm in bet hedging mode. 52 has not broken anything for me so going to draw a line - at least for now.
Hi Bob, yes and yes - http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/f ... rtable-esr

Using 52 ESR is a good move for most Firefox users, I reckon. Put it on and forget about this stuff and look at it again in a year's time.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
#Sun-Glasses

Post by #Sun-Glasses »

@Frank Lion: What do you think about that? http://www.ghacks.net/2017/03/13/waterf ... e-browser/ Would like to hear an honest and in-depth evaluation. I think we can do without the aggressions today. I am really interested in your opinion on that, as this happens to be what the thread is all about (XUL add-ons).
Timvde

Post by Timvde »

Frank Lion wrote: In my experience, they'll either vanish or admit that they use almost none or already know that 'their ones' will be converted to WebExtensions. It is a frailty of the human condition to be dismissive of the concerns of others about things that don't affect them personally. ;)
Related: http://www.agmweb.ca/2017-03-06-webextensions-only/
Andy McKay wrote:My needs for must have Extensions are actually pretty small
Gee, who would've guessed.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

#Sun-Glasses wrote:I am really interested in your opinion on that, as this happens to be what the thread is all about (XUL add-ons).
Start at page one and READ?
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
#Sun-Glasses

Post by #Sun-Glasses »

mightyglydd wrote: Start at page one and READ?
I was asking him about his opinion on the new Waterfox info. Which I obviously can't know by just reading the general topic (this is no thread about Waterfox). In fact the Waterfox info wasn't even available at the time this thread started, Sherlock.
Last edited by #Sun-Glasses on March 19th, 2017, 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
#Sun-Glasses

Post by #Sun-Glasses »

@mightyglydd: I am already aware of this post. Nothing Waterfox-specific is in there. Just general stuff about one man projects (Which the Waterfox dev tries to avoid in the future, did you notice that even?)... Where can I find the browser-specific stuff? Also this:
people can talk directly to the developer himself (it's always a he)
Very sexist, stopped reading there. Jeeez, as if there were no female developers.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

And this is not a Waterfox forum, so let's stick to discussion of Firefox. This thread is supposed to be about how to deal with changes in extension creation/maintenance in it's future. Time to get it back on track.
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

Last edited by Mouse5 on April 6th, 2017, 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
impar

Post by impar »

Well, at least square tabs returned. And Back\Forward and Reload buttons are out of the address. Favourites\Bookmarks are now in the address?!

Remains to see if buttons can be added, moved, sized. And if all those Mozilla services can be disabled.
Hamburguer button continues on the far right for some obscure reason.
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

impar wrote:Well, at least square tabs returned. And Back\Forward and Reload buttons are out of the address. Favourites\Bookmarks are now in the address?!

Remains to see if buttons can be added, moved, sized. And if all those Mozilla services can be disabled.
Hamburguer button continues on the far right for some obscure reason.
dont bet on it. it'll be tamed down like Chrome is. you wont be able to do what you want with it like you used to be able to with firefox . firefox56 will more than likely be the last time i use Firefox . as my perm Browser anyway. i'll just Use Chrome as it wont matter anyway, as my other 2 Extensions i use now will be Dead an wont become a WebExtension so no need for Firefox

should get Kerz to change the colour of this forum to Blood Red . when 57 hits
therube

Post by therube »

"mozilla" has always been red ;-).
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... ot.svg.png
http://img.clubic.com/04650684-photo-lo ... dation.jpg

Problem is, today, they can't figure out just what they are?
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/imag ... cO-oXFJ4c5
(Looks like humpty dumpty fell off his wall.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

-Arch- wrote:get ready for this one Guys, i hope you love this as much as i do :D http://www.ghacks.net/2017/03/24/here-i ... ew-design/
There's not actually much I can say about this, as it's a sort of like a theme once you've stripped away all the, er, theming that usually goes into making a theme. I wouldn't call it ugly, it's just a very dull UI that induces a flatline response with me. A sort of ...zzzzzzzzzzz theme.

Luckily, I don't have to use it. :)

The only amusing part of the whole article was in the comments, where Martin wades in to 'protect his source' who in this case is Soren H. who was taking a beating and, I've noticed, whose views always seem to remarkably always coincide with those of Mozilla on, er, everything.

Martin also uses this site as a source pretty often (or 'some' here just point him in the right direction to a story). So, it's good to know that, like any good journalist, he protects his sources, even if it's only from adverse comments in the Comments Section. :P
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

i just dunno if i like it, but as far as im concewrned there wont be much point in using it since i'll basically have my remaining Extgension there, but i can use that Extension within Chrome, i'll more than likely use Chrome as Default but keep Firefox on the side