Thundertbird permission bug

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
kdchan

Thundertbird permission bug

Post by kdchan »

Hiello, i upgrade my thunderbird client from build 45.4.0 to 45.8.0 without any issue, however i find a bug with attachments, everytime i try to open a PDF file, for example, i get an access denied error.

The temporary pdf file is moved when i click on it in my system temp folder (c:\temp) in a subfolder ********.tmp\ContainedTemp\file.pdf.

If i set manually the permission to this folder then all is ok and i'm able to read the file with my pdf program (firefox internal pdf viewer), however when i close the client and reopen it the issue arise again and everytime i use a new session of thunderbird the permissiona are resetted and lost.

Any tips? Is a known issue? Can mozilla devs please fix this issue?

I run win 7 x64, all partitions in my hdd are ntfs, thanks you.
tanstaafl

Re: Thundertbird permission bug

Post by tanstaafl »

I haven't heard of that problem before. I can't reproduce the problem with Thunderbird 45.8.0 under Windows 10 x64. I don't see anything special about the contents of the security tab in the properties for the temp folder - the system, myself and admins have full control, and all of the Allow permissions are checked. Special permissions is blank. What are your default settings?

My temp folder is at C:\Users\Eric\AppData\Local\Temp . I'm using Nitro Reader 3 to open PDF files.
kdchan

Post by kdchan »

tanstaafl wrote:I haven't heard of that problem before. I can't reproduce the problem with Thunderbird 45.8.0 under Windows 10 x64. I don't see anything special about the contents of the security tab in the properties for the temp folder - the system, myself and admins have full control, and all of the Allow permissions are checked. Special permissions is blank. What are your default settings?

My temp folder is at C:\Users\Eric\AppData\Local\Temp . I'm using Nitro Reader 3 to open PDF files.
This is very odd, i have this bug only in Thunderbird above the 45.4.0 version, and the PDF create in my temp folder isn't readable even if i try to open with notepad or another basic text tool, i need to manually set permissions for every session to make the file readable.

I think they have change something in version 45.5.0 and above that mess up permissions in win 7, i honestly have no clue, only devs know for sure.

ps: Also tried to change the temp location to another partition but the error persist, is clearly when i load the program and the folder is created.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

What are the security settings for that folder before running Thunderbird? What are its settings afterwards?
kdchan

Post by kdchan »

tanstaafl wrote:What are the security settings for that folder before running Thunderbird? What are its settings afterwards?
The issue isn't the temp folder per se, permissions are saved and work perfectly, the issue is the subfolder created by thunderird inside the temp folder that is read only, and i have to manually set it unlocked by everyone, then it work.
Of course when i close thunderbird this subfolder is automatically removed and next time i load the program it of course create a new subfolder with the same read only permissions.

Well, atm i'm using 45.4.0 and work very well, the devs probably changed how the temp subfolder is created in the latest versions, is something that only them can fix changing how this temp folder behave.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I opened a console window at my temp directory. It had 5 files and 2 subdirectories. I then opened a PDF file attachment in Thunderbird. I repeated the dir command in the console window. It added a copy of the .pdf file plus a temp file due to the PDF viewer I'm using in the root of the temp directory. It did NOT create a new subdirectory. Perhaps you need to configure a different pdf file viewer.

AFAIK the latest version of Thunderbird defaults to using the existing temporary files directory specified by Windows. At one time it used to use a MozillaMailnews subdirectory within the Windows temporary file directory, especially when sending a file. It stored a nsmail.eml, nsmail.tmp, or nsmail.html file there. It doesn't seem to do that anymore.

At C:\Users\Eric\AppData\Local\Temp it added:

03/18/2017 06:04 PM 1,291,059 NtrE6ED.tmp
03/18/2017 06:04 PM 361,027 Quick Carbon 1GCBoston Globe32215.pdf

A set command in the console window will list:

TEMP=C:\Users\Eric\AppData\Local\Temp
TMP=C:\Users\Eric\AppData\Local\Temp

ECHO %TEMP% in that console window also displays that location. However, %TEMP% in the windows start window doesn't go there, it goes to C:\Users\Eric\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Stellaris\workshop\temp , apparently due to a Steam game I have installed. Its not clear to me how it managed to do that. %TMP% does go to C:\Users\Eric\AppData\Local\Temp as expected.
kdchan

Post by kdchan »

My temp folder i in c:\java_temp but nothing change even if i change location or name lenght.
I have your same folder created too when i launch the program, called xxxxxxx.tmp, and inside another folder with the pdf, probably because i'm using portable thunderbird from portableapps.

Dunno, but again downgrade to version 45.4.0 is perfect, the issue is only with the recent releases.

Anyway thanks for the effort and try to help, maybe developers will release more info on what they are chaging with later releases so maybe i can understand better what's going on and fix the issue.