Firefox 52 hangs with not responding normal & safe mode

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
therube

Re: Firefox 52 hangs with not responding normal & safe mode

Post by therube »

I get a crash report
URL (from about:crashes)?

As a test, create a new, clean Profile, load dillons & see what happens.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
diverjer

Post by diverjer »

Sorry, not thinking. I did load extension uBlock Origin, left default settings and didn't make any differences. Also had noscripts turned off, cookies deleted, cache delete and history deleted. Since they know it me logging in, they are going to my past purchases and will display images from history of purchases. It has to be one of those images as if I say log into pharmacy, all goes well, or log into coupons all goes well, only problem is when I take default login and it displays past purchases and trying to get me to buy again.
diverjer

Post by diverjer »

Okay, think this is what you mentioned. https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/ ... d472170318
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

diverjer wrote:Okay, think this is what you mentioned. https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/ ... d472170318
Your report seems to point to Webroot SecureAnywhere software. Webroot has been known to cause crashes in Firefox.

Make sure you have the latest version as I seem to recall not long ago they 'fixed' the crash problem, they being Webroot.

Otherwise, perhaps disable it for awhile and see how it goes.
diverjer

Post by diverjer »

Okay this is odd, but I will try to explain.

Checked Webroot, it said it was up to date. Stopped Webroot. Did test in standard FF and it still hung, but I hadn't cleared stuff like normal when testing problems.

Cleared stuff (cache,cookies,history), and ran in safe mode- it worked page displayed, no crash, so I am thinking addon or Webroot as both would be stopped.

Started Webroot, ran in safe mode and it ran fine.

Started FF in standard mode, Webroot running and it ran fine. Did this several times without clearing stuff and it ran fine.

What I do notice is the page loads, but never stops spinning the blue circle on the active tab within FF, and lower right hand corner always says "Transferring data from wwwd.dillons.com......I Don't see any network traffic via task manager. It stills spinning now and says that after me typing all this and I am terrible typist.

I even did a test with uBlock disabled, in standard FF, didn't clear anything and it worked.

So in the end I have changed anything, unless Webroot updated in a millisecond and said I am already up to date.

I looked around that crash report, never did see how you found Webroot, well I didn't look at the raw dump. I read hexadecimal, even binary. Spent almost 45 years tech support for mainframes which uses ebcdic. Ascii is still hex, just not use to converting it. Been retired since 2004. I am not sure why this started working?
diverjer

Post by diverjer »

Well now back to the same old problem, I hate problems like this, especially when I got a workaround, I just hate being beat by computer. There has to be a pattern I just haven't figured out. Maybe I will load Chrome and see if it has a problem? But not tonight, think I will get back to basketball. Thanks for your suggestions, they have been good ones.
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

diverjer wrote:
I looked around that crash report, never did see how you found Webroot, well I didn't look at the raw dump. I read hexadecimal, even binary. Spent almost 45 years tech support for mainframes which uses ebcdic. Ascii is still hex, just not use to converting it. Been retired since 2004. I am not sure why this started working?
At the bottom of the page of your crash-report you will see a link - Show other threads...

Looking through those threads you will see the Webroot dll highlighted in 'RED'.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Noting where therube suggested to make a clean profile for doing your test... I don't see where you tried that... it at least clears out ... if it is a basic Firefox issue or just something that is messing around within your profile... I strongly suggest that you create that profile and just use it as-is .... then let us know the results... remember... use it as it was created....

Creating a new Firefox profile on Windows - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
And,.... DON'T TOUCH THAT "Choose Folder..." BUTTON! ... unless you fully know all about it.

And BTW ... I have what I call my Test profile running along-side this loaded one... I tested your site in it and it loaded fine.... I hit sites at times where I would have to disable some of my blocking extensions in here... so, many times it's just easier to copy/paste the URL into that profile and visit a site in that other test profile... that's just for more info ...
Opening a new instance of your Mozilla application with another profile - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
diverjer

Post by diverjer »

Okay, I am more confused.

A) I created new profile Test1 and all went well, logged off Dillons and back on several times, all well. Still the blue circle spins on the Dillon tab and lower right corner always says transferring data, but nothing new is being populated on screen.

B) I don't log off Dillons, but kill tab, go back to dillons.com and screen is fine, still blue circle spinning on tab and says transferring data.

C) While signed on to Dillons with test1, I kill FF with X in upper right hand corner (did not signoff). Then start FF with same Test1 profile and go to Dillons.com to login and it hangs, start FF again before going to Dillons I clear cookies, history and try logging in, it still hangs.

D) Did a new profile called Test2, didn't clear anything, still hadn't logged off Dillons and had killed FF earlier with X. Logged into Dillons with no problems.

E) Did the same as C above and could not get into Dillons, always hung (still on Test2).

F) Built a test3 profile and logged in Dillons fine, even though I had X out FF and didn't logoff before when leaving Test2 profile.

Now stopping FF like that may not be the best way to do things, but wouldn't think it should modify or corrupt profile. Hasn't ever been a problem in past. I am thinking profile gets corrupt because the page has never completely loaded, it never does completely load. Page loads good enough I can click and go to other links and then it does completely load other pages. Now remember I can kill the tab, go to dillons.com and page loads fine except it still says it is transferring data.

I did not have any other FF running, only had one at a time.

Now I deleted profile Test 1 2 and 3 and running on old Jer Default Profile.
diverjer

Post by diverjer »

Ran again with new profile and -p -no-remote. Logged on Dillons okay and got screen that always sets there and says transferring data. Clicked link to get to a screen that did complete and no spinning circle on tab or message transferring data. Then I killed FF with X, restarted with -p -no-remote and tried to signon Dillons. Got a Crash Report after entering password https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/ ... 37b2170319

So I was wrong above, nothing to do with page that is not completing and says transferring data.
therube

Post by therube »

And again its pointing to Webroot.

Thinking until you disable Webroot's interference you're not going anywhere fast.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
diverjer

Post by diverjer »

I am tending to believe it is Webroot as you say, but it is not 100 percent.

I ran FF with new profile 4 times with no webroot, all was well. Started up webroot, ran with the new profile and no crash, but did not display page and FF said not responding. That there would make any reasonable person say that blasted Webroot!

Then I started FF with my regular FF profile,, no Webroot and all displayed well, FF did not display not responding nor did it crash.

So then I started Webroot, FF still on regular profile, and of all things, twice the page displayed with no problems.

So I do tend to agree Webroot has internment problems with Firefox. This doesn't ever happen with IE or Chrome. That said I am sticking with FF and Webroot for now, only one web site is an issue.

I do want to thank you folks for you assistance.