Verizon is dropping email after 3/31

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
lovemyfoxy

Verizon is dropping email after 3/31

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Just got that notice, and if I want to keep my Vz addresses, I have to use it through their arrangement with (pardon the expression) AOL Mail. Isn't AOL webmail only?
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
DanRaisch

Re: Verizon is dropping email after 3/31

Post by DanRaisch »

No. Among other reference docs, see http://kb.mozillazine.org/Using_AOL_Mail_with_Mozilla
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Thanks, Dan. I don't understand IMAP or most of that article, so I need some translation.
I can still use Thunderbird. Can I still use my extensions?

Can you imagine, they give us less than 2 weeks notice? FF gave us lots more notice about the XUL drop. No way, even if I wanted, to change my 3 accounts at companies, websites, doctors, friends, work websites. Given the variable of x-many glitches, some will never change, and the mail will be returned. And the only other Pop3 provider here is the cable company Optonline, not feasible to change.

Thanks for letting me vent, and I feel better.

And you can expect dozens of posts more here.

What's the current state of AOL? Doesn't it exist now as just an email company, or is it still an ISP, and who owns it now?
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

TB help is dated 2007, on the Wayback Machine and the page is gone. I'm surely not waiting till 3/31. I know all our members here will help each other out. We're a community. :-)
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

http://www.4-traders.com/VERIZON-COMMUN ... -24063148/
https://help.aol.com/articles/verizon-m ... l-mail-faq

AOL got bought by Verizon. They're also buying Yahoo. In general ISPs are poor email providers as they view it as just a cost center. AOL/AIM and Yahoo are not a good email provider IMHO. However, at least you can avoid the stigma of a AOL address since "You will use your verizon.net email address, including @verizon.net, as your user name for AOL Mail." I suggest you move your messages to either a Gmail, Zoho.com or Outlook.com IMAP account. I'd start by copying all of your existing mail to folders in "Local Folders" (assuming you don't use a global inbox).

http://kb.mozillazine.org/IMAP
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I can still use Thunderbird. Can I still use my extensions?
Yes, and Yes. The link I posted gave information for setting up an AOL email account in Thunderbird, should that be what is necessary when the switch from Verizon takes place. And extensions work within Thunderbird so, for the most part, the email provider's identity is transparent to the extensions.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

tanstaafl wrote:http://www.4-traders.com/VERIZON-COMMUN ... -24063148/
https://help.aol.com/articles/verizon-m ... l-mail-faq

AOL got bought by Verizon. They're also buying Yahoo. In general ISPs are poor email providers as they view it as just a cost center. AOL/AIM and Yahoo are not a good email provider IMHO. However, at least you can avoid the stigma of a AOL address since "You will use your verizon.net email address, including @verizon.net, as your user name for AOL Mail." I suggest you move your messages to either a Gmail, Zoho.com or Outlook.com IMAP account. I'd start by copying all of your existing mail to folders in "Local Folders" (assuming you don't use a global inbox).

http://kb.mozillazine.org/IMAP

Verizon stinks in many ways, but I've been using their email at least 15 years. Gmail came along too late for me to adopt it for anything but websites who might send me spam. I have 3 addresses, and too many recipients to move. I receive work by email from over 50 companies, and it's time-sensitive, sometimes down to the minute. I'm registered at knitting website, newspapers, magazines, on and on. And I have bad experiences trying to change emails at some sites, and just gave up on some.
Last edited by lovemyfoxy on March 18th, 2017, 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

What's AIM Mail? Anyone recommend one over the other?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I had an AIM IMAP account a long time ago for a couple of years to help anybody using AOL/AIM. Its better than a AOL account as it had far less restrictions. But they started to muck with it too and I got rid of the account since there were less and less Thunderbird users using AOL/AIM. Before Gmail IMAP was introduced in 2007 AOL/AIM wasn't a bad choice as there were few free IMAP accounts with much storage available. They just stagnated.

If you need to keep your Verizon email addresses I suggest you choose AIM over AOL. However, there is a way to automatically fetch Verizon email from a AOL POP server or a AIM POP server into the inbox of a Gmail IMAP account, and there is a way to send messages using the Gmail SMTP server with Verizon email addresses. Its takes some work to set it up and it would add about a 5-10 minute delay in detecting new mail for your Verizon email addresses. However, you'd get much better spam detection, a much larger mailbox, and more reliable mail servers. You could also replace the 3 Verizon accounts in Thunderbird with one Gmail account in Thunderbird. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Replace_sever ... ne_account if you're interested. I wrote that KB article for how to reduce the number of accounts without losing any functionality, but it can easily be adapted for transparently using one email providers servers to get and send mail from another email provider. You'd have to view the raw message source and understand the normally hidden headers to tell that's what happened.

If you're interested in doing that but find the KB article too confusing let me know and I'll write another for what I'm suggesting you do, within a few days.

Another possibility might be to use a AIM account but use a service like https://www.pobox.com/ to automatically forward the mail to another email provider. The basic plan for pobox is $20/year. They have been bought by fastmail (who is my main email provider, and I have paid for a full account with them for over a decade) but its not clear yet how they will be eventually integrated. They're taking their time. "Email forwarding makes it possible for you to separate where you read your email from your email identity. Forwarding takes mail sent to one address, and redirects it to another, without the sender having to know..... It breaks the tie between your mailbox and your address.....With Pobox, email forwarding also provides a second layer of access. Pobox accounts can forward mail to multiple addresses, so if one of your providers is down, or your workplace doesn't let you access webmail providers, you know you have a copy of your mail at more than one location."
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Read my lips:

I can't change my 3 main addresses.
I don't want gmail or any other webmail service for my 3 main addresses.
I don't want to make a hobby of setting up new email accounts.
I don't want my email sent to some other website. I already have 2 "junk" gmail accounts funneling into one of my Vz addresses.
I want to keep Thunderbird until it's no longer legal, no longer available or I'm dead, whichever comes first, and I'm already 70.
And TB's spam-detection is top-notch. It has to be, with Vz as an ISP.
My workplace is mostly at home. I'm self-employed and I make the rules.

I have invited other TB users at the Vz forum to come here, citing the expertise here for Mozilla products.

I want to do this the easiest way possible and then not worry about my input any more, although I'm sure both AOL and Vz will screw it up at the other end.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I wasn't talking about webmail at all.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

LoveMyFoxy wrote:What's AIM Mail? Anyone recommend one over the other?
AIM is AOL. An aim.com address can be changed to aol.com without any problems.

I changed mine in Thunderbird and don't see a difference. My Thunderbird's get my AIM/AOL and Verizon/AOL mail.

The migration of Verizon to AOL was painless. Just check the Spam folder often, because it appears the Spam filters on AOL are better than Verizon's. I've found about 25 good mails in the Spam folder.

Oh, and not everybody is having their Verizon email dropped after 3/31. I had until April 5th to make the migration.

So now I have a POP verizon.net and an IMAP aol.com address and can check both at one site if necessary. Separate logins of course.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

tanstaafl wrote:I wasn't talking about webmail at all.
Sorry, I thought Pobox was webmail. I haven't had time to explore it.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

WaltS48 wrote:
LoveMyFoxy wrote:What's AIM Mail? Anyone recommend one over the other?
AIM is AOL. An aim.com address can be changed to aol.com without any problems.

I changed mine in Thunderbird and don't see a difference. My Thunderbird's get my AIM/AOL and Verizon/AOL mail.

The migration of Verizon to AOL was painless. Just check the Spam folder often, because it appears the Spam filters on AOL are better than Verizon's. I've found about 25 good mails in the Spam folder.

Oh, and not everybody is having their Verizon email dropped after 3/31. I had until April 5th to make the migration.

So now I have a POP verizon.net and an IMAP aol.com address and can check both at one site if necessary. Separate logins of course.
Bad enough to use AOL, I don't want any email with their name in it. :( I'll start doing the changeover tomorrow, and should have it done by 3/31.

Vz does the opposite. With my 3 accounts, TB catches about 100 spams daily. And it rarely puts a legit message in there. =D>
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

A thread's been set up on the Vz forums to guide us through this. If I see any more sheeple asking "Is it true?" on the 10th page of that thread, they'll have to take me away to the funny farm