Shut down Thunderbird to receive e-mail

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Rascola

Shut down Thunderbird to receive e-mail

Post by Rascola »

Hey guys,
I have used Tbird for several years now and my first time on this forum or any forum so please bear w/me. I have Tbird version 45.8. and Suddenlink as ISP provider. I have had two e-mail addresses. 1 for 4-5 years, the other, for 2 1/2 yrs. Yesterday I created another for my wife. And hence this topic. Now every time I send e-mails it takes several minutes for the recipient to receive them. And to receive e-mails, I have to shut down Tbird and reopen it. I have never had a problem w/receiving, speed, sending etc. until I created this one. I have been on phone w/suddenlink for 1 1/2 days. re-doing passwords, configuring, checking pop 3 numbers, port numbers, etc. They said they have done all they can do, and it is possibly on Tbird's end. Any ideas?
DanRaisch

Re: Shut down Thunderbird to receive e-mail

Post by DanRaisch »

Was the account for your wife created on the same computer? In the same profile?
Rascola

Post by Rascola »

yes sir it was. Also, I am using win 8.1, Suddenlink, and internet explorer
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

The time it takes the recipient to get the messages is really not a factor of Thunderbird. Once Thunderbird reports the message is sent and the copy appears in the Sent folder in Thunderbird, everything else is dependent on the Suddenlink servers and those that transfer the email to the recipient.

As for the problem receiving messages, is that with all of the accounts set up in Thunderbird or just with the new one? Did you import any old messages from a previous email client or download a large number from the server when setting up the account?
Rascola

Post by Rascola »

It is with all of the accounts. I tried to tell the suddenlink tech that the error message I was getting had THEIR name on it. here is a copy of two of them: "Sending of password for user xxxxxxxxxxxx@suddenlink.net did not succeed. Mail serverpop.suddenlink.net responded: invalid user name or password." "Login to server pop.suddenlink.net failed." And I got these error messages for all three email addresses. So I would go to suddenlink.net and change passwords, go back to Tbird and enter new password. But, when I would go to suddenlink.net it would say it could not authenticate my password for the site and I would have to change it also. Then when I went to Tbird I would have to re-enter my profile passwords....again. It is probably something on THEIR end concerning these passwords, but they insist they have done all they can so I thought I would see if you had any input that might help. Its as if these passwords are bumping heads, if you will. I will probably end up spending tomorrow on the phone w/them again.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Don't look at just the password. Make sure that you have the user name entered in form required, either the full email address or just the bit before the @ symbol.

Also, if you are "changing" the passwords in Thunderbird, be sure that you are closing and restarting Thunderbird after deleting the old passwords to ensure that the old values are cleared from memory before entering a new password value.
Rascola

Post by Rascola »

I did. I checked and rechecked all forms. I also have to shut down and re-open Tbird to receive my emails. I had my family member send me test e-mails to all 3 addresses and nothing until I shut down Tbird and immediately opened back up. But I will keep trying. It has to be something I, or they, are overlooking.
Rascola

Post by Rascola »

Dan,
I got it worked out!! It was as you said, but also as I said. I had a tech from suddenlink walk thru the entire process of each email profile and make sure every I crossed and t dotted! I had the right password in right place but not enough times. When I would get the message in Tbird about "Sending of password for user xxxxxxxxxxxx@suddenlink.net did not succeed. Mail serverpop.suddenlink.net responded: invalid user name or password." I would put in the password for the profile that I listed in suddenlink.net for Tbird addresses rather than the password to gain entry into suddenlink.net. If that makes any sense. ("When a layman does not know what he is doing it is hard for him to explain what he does not know too"). But I thank you for your help, support, and most of all, your patience.
Thank you.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're quite welcome. Happy to hear that you have worked things out.