[Solved] Restored pc but it did not restore Thunderbird

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Foxbat1951

[Solved] Restored pc but it did not restore Thunderbird

Post by Foxbat1951 »

Due to a mishappening, I had to do a full restore on my pc.
All my files and programs are there and found except Thunderbird mails, address book, Lightning etc..
The Thunderbird program starts with a new window and it ask me if I want a new account!
Profiles, mail folders are there but not "connected" to Thunderbird.
I have looked for previous similar issues but their solutions are 5 / 10 years old and regard Window versions.
I use Thunderbird 45.7.0 and my OS is Ubuntu 16.04-
Can you help me please?
Thanks and regards.
Last edited by Foxbat1951 on March 25th, 2017, 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
tanstaafl

Re: Restored pc but it did not restore Thunderbird

Post by tanstaafl »

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_p ... hunderbird for several ways to tell Thunderbird where your profile is.
Foxbat1951

Post by Foxbat1951 »

tanstaafl wrote:See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_p ... hunderbird for several ways to tell Thunderbird where your profile is.
I have browsed a lot, but their answers are related mainly to Windows users.
I am Linux-Ubuntu user, and I don't know the way to match the file profiles.ini to my exact requirements.
The content of the folder "Mail" is exact with subfolders, inbox, sent etc.
Any idea?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

What makes you think the methods in that KB article are mainly for Windows users? I'd like to know both to help you, and so that I can correct any false impressions in the KB article.
Foxbat1951

Post by Foxbat1951 »

tanstaafl wrote:What makes you think the methods in that KB article are mainly for Windows users? I'd like to know both to help you, and so that I can correct any false impressions in the KB article.
It makes me think that it is written for Microsoft Windows users as there are references such Windows 7, Windows 10, Windows XP, or C:\ etc.
Very few references for Linux users.
I am a newbie on Linux, and I know that a single letter typed in a command line string, can lead to a worse situation.
I find that restore made using Deja-Dup worked very well, except for Thunderbird.
The TB program is working well, but treats me as a new user and asks if I want to open a new account.
All my emails and files attached are stored under "Profiles" folder but I understand that the file "profiles.ini" is wrong as it does not point the software to the right way.
I have doubts about "prefs.js" but I am not sure, as TB made "prefs-1.js, and prefs-2.js" at each start of TB.
Something is missing and I do not know how to fix it. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I added examples of how to launch the profile manager using Linux and OS X. Most Thunderbird users use Windows so the KB articles reflect that. However, if something only works with one operating system they try to identify that. I also added: "Many of the examples/instructions in this KB article are written for Windows since most users use it. There is no OS X or Linux equivalent of the Windows start button for example but Linux and OS X users should be able to adapt the instructions as needed." near the top of the article.

Thunderbird uses prefs.js, not prefs.js-1 etc. The ones with a numeric suffix are probably old copies created due to some crash or something else going seriously wrong.

I suggest you delete the profiles.ini file. When you start Thunderbird again it will create a stub of a profile and update profiles.ini to point to it. You could then abort the new account wizard, and copy the contents of your old profile over the contents of the stub or follow the normal instructions in the Kb artcile.
Foxbat1951

Post by Foxbat1951 »

Linux commands may be different from the ones used in Microsoft or Mac-Apple environments.
For example the drop down menu has a different layout, one find "preferences" under "Modify" and not under "Tools".
However I have deleted "profiles,ini" as suggested, and modified the new "profiles.ini" without the slash between the dot and thunderbird as in Linux is written ".thunderbird" only.
But still some line is missing or wrong and TB does not start properly.
Can you help me?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Menu_differen ... 2C_and_Mac

I suggest you do not directly edit profiles.ini , use the recommended method (profile manager based) instead. The reason it was documented is because we got tired of debugging edit errors in profiles.ini files.
Foxbat1951

Post by Foxbat1951 »

Code: Select all

giovanni@giovanni-HP-Compaq-dx2400-Microtower-PC:~$ thunderbird -profilemanager
[calBackendLoader] Using libical backend at /home/giovanni/.thunderbird/Profiles/wza7ghof.default/extensions/{e2fda1a4-762b-4020-b5ad-a41df1933103}/components/libical-manifest
Warning: Calendar moz-storage-calendar:// has a dangling E-Mail identity configured.

(thunderbird:2939): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_clipboard_set_with_data: assertion 'targets != NULL' failed

(thunderbird:2939): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_clipboard_set_with_data: assertion 'targets != NULL' failed

1490114067348	addons.update-checker	WARN	Update manifest for en-gb@flyingtophat.co.uk did not contain an updates property
1490114067967	addons.update-checker	WARN	Update manifest for {972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd} did not contain an updates property
1490114068172	addons.update-checker	WARN	Update manifest for messagingmenu@mozilla.com did not contain an updates property
1490114068437	addons.update-checker	WARN	Update manifest for thunderbird-hotfix@mozilla.org did not contain an updates property
giovanni@giovanni-HP-Compaq-dx2400-Microtower-PC:~$ 
I have used profilemanager, started from terminal, but I do not understand what it is happening....
If anybody has a good suggestion, he/she is welcome!
Foxbat1951

Post by Foxbat1951 »

Solved. I did a lot of copy-cut-paste trough the old profile and the new, thanks to the Italian Ubuntu Forum. KB.Mozillazine, sometimes does not explain that commands given for Microsoft OS, or Apple, do not work in a Linux OS.
E.g.: slash and backslashes (/ or \).
Or a hidden folder, for Linux is simply beginning with a dot (.thunderbird)
Thanks anyway.