HTML not working on outgoing email

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
AlecMaine

HTML not working on outgoing email

Post by AlecMaine »

I have been a user of Thunderbird for years without experiencing any issues. I have a new Windows 10 notebook and Thunderbird is having problems with outgoing emails composed with HTML turned on. It does not happen every time, but seems to run in spells.

I am on Thuderbird 45.8.0. It is listed as being up-to-date.

What is happening is that the message is sent with the HTML not being properly configured. The message that is received and also located in my sent folder has all of the HTML code visible. It makes it very difficult for the receiver to read my message. I have turned off HTML during composition for now.

My previous computer OS was Windows 8.0. This is my first time with Windows 10 and do not know if it is an issue with the OS or some setting on my computer.

If this can help, I transferred the entire user profile from the former computer to this new computer. I did not change the folder name on the new computer (I just transferred the contents within the folders). I have done this previously when migrating my files, history, address book, etc. without any issues. I also use the same transfer technique with Firefox. I have not experienced any issues with Firefox on this new computer.
AlecMaine

Re: HTML not working on outgoing email

Post by AlecMaine »

Interesting new insight. While I was awaiting for my post to appear I did some experimentation.

I turned HTML composition back on and tried some simple tests. If I did not change any message formatting, the problem continued. Relaunching Thunderbird did not help. However, if I changed a single format variable (font size, color, indent) the HTML worked. If I changed a format variable and then reversed the change (not using undo) such indent -- enter test -- unindent, the problem occurred. Only if a single format variable was changed and left alone did the HTML work.

I have examined the HTML code for both problem messages and working messages and can not see an issue via a difference, omission, or extra code.

I'm stumped.
AlecMaine

Re: HTML not working on outgoing email

Post by AlecMaine »

Here is a sample of email message that is sent when I don't make one format change. Note that I am not writing the HTML code. The message has no visible code in my composition box. This is what I see in my sent file folder and the recipient sees.

<html>
<head>

<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
</head>
<body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
<p>Steven,</p>
<p>The certificate for my is attached.</p>
<p>Alec<br>
</p>
</body>
</html>

More complicated messages are very hard to decipher.

If I make one format change (font size, indents, color, etc) the problem does not exist when sent and received.