Unfinished message is sent to the redipient with every Save

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
moemart

Unfinished message is sent to the redipient with every Save

Post by moemart »

I discovered yesterday that Thunderbird ie sending unfinished messages (i.e. still in the edit/composition mode) every time it does an autosave. I've been using Thunderbird for years without ever seeing this occur. Anybody experiencing the same problem? Windows 7 Professional 64-bit OS (essentially a clone of my desktop which doesn't do this at all. Thunderbird version 38.5.0.
DanRaisch

Re: Unfinished message is sent to the redipient with every S

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving from Firefox Bugs to Thunderbird Support.

To answer your question, no, we've seen no reports of this happening to others using Thunderbird.
How is the account set up in Thunderbird on this particular machine, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
What is selected for the target for storing Draft messages under menu path Tools->Account Settings->Copies & Folders?
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

These are probably auto-saved drafts that TBird is not saving to the correct folder for drafts. Click on the message and press Ctrl + U to view its source code. If it has a X-Mozilla-Draft-Info: header then it's just a draft copy that was not sent anywhere, no matter what folder it's in.

My installation has been doing that to me for some time now. You can turn the automatic saving of drafts off under Tools | Options | Composition | General.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
moemart

Post by moemart »

The account is set up as IMAP and the target for keeping message drafts in is "Drafts folder on my account.

Inoted that this was a very old release of Thunderbird so I upgraded to the newest release 45.8.0 and did a simple test. After 5 minutes the unfinished message was saved to the Drafts folder but not sent. The only problem I have now (I think) is that the draft copy is not deleted once the message has been successfully sent.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

First backup your profile -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup
Close Thunderbird and navigate to your Profile Folder ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Folder ). Find the file Drafts with the extension msf. Delete that file. Restart Thunderbird, compact the Drafts folders, and see if drafts are deleted after the message is sent.. Note that the MSF files do NOT contain your messages. They are, for lack of a better term, an index file and will be recreated by Thunderbird as required.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

DanRaisch wrote:Moving from Firefox Bugs to Thunderbird Support.
Still in Firefox bugs???? :-"
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Moving to Thunderbird Support...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)