Kiosk mode for SeaMonkey

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
RrBd

Kiosk mode for SeaMonkey

Post by RrBd »

Some of my customers use Firefox for machine status visualization with IniNet SpicerControl http://spidercontrol.net/ininet/ueber-s ... nd-ininet/.
Because of dropped support of NPAPI-Plugins, what also means JAVA, I think about a solutions with SeaMonky 2.46 for them. Advantage: those customers can continue to use their FF for normal internet browsing and have an alternative for the visualization which runs parallel to FF and can not be confused with FF because MS looks completely different. So they will not wonder why their Browser can not be used for internet browsing.

But to prevent customers from internet browsing with MS, I want to use SM in Kiosk Mode. It will launch with an appropriate Start Page, prepared bookmarks only are available for visualization, that's all.

But a first test with a converted R-kiosk add-on was not very promising.

Anybody here who has some experience with kiosk mode and current SM builds and can help me?
lvm

Re: Kiosk mode for SeaMonkey

Post by lvm »

I am afraid I will not be able to help you, only plant despair: even if you succeed it won't work for long, future seamonkey versions - as early as 2.51 I believe, will stop supporting plugins too. Idiots.
isaacschemm

Post by isaacschemm »

The official SeaMonkey releases - once they start back up - are going to stay on the 2.49 (ESR) branch for at least a year.
Still, it might be easier to use Firefox ESR for this - that will be around for a year also.
lvm

Post by lvm »

Actually creating a new boolean plugin.load_flash_only config variable and setting it to false will re-enable plugins for a few more versions of both seamonkey and firefox but eventually the plugin support will be completely removed.
RrBd

Post by RrBd »

lvm wrote:future seamonkey versions - as early as 2.51 I believe, will stop supporting plugins too.
That would not be a problem at all - Such a KIOSK browser with hidden Location bar, only few allowed to visit determined URLs, can stay on a Computer (almost) without any security risk.

CU

Rainer
RrBd

Post by RrBd »

You find my solution here: http://wp.me/p5Y2Xy-nw (German language!)

CU

Rainer
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

NPAPI plugins still work in Waterfox, so if R-Kiosk works there it might be a solution. I don't know how long Waterfox will support plugins but this is mentioned in their feature listing so I suspect it should stay there for a while. I use Java in Waterfox and it works well, but for this 64-bit Java needs to be installed on the system.
*** SeaMonkey — weird name, sane interface, modern bowels ***
Mouse Gestures for SeaMonkey/Firefox
Convert Fx and TB extensions to SeaMonkey