My5 TV Hangs

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
therube

Re: My5 TV Hangs

Post by therube »

atlanto wrote:fwiw, imgur.com/a/vFA6F
So what is the particular greasemonkey script?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

greybeard2012

Post by greybeard2012 »

I meant to post an addendum to this because after one of the FF updates since I started this thread the matter has clearly been addressed because My5 now works perfectly with the version (52.0.1) I'm currently using. I only discovered that this week as on the few occasions I've been there in the last month I've used IE :(

Anyway thanks to whoever fixed it. Appreciated.
therube

Post by therube »

(
> with the version (52.0.1) I'm currently using

52.0.2 is out.
)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
greybeard2012

Post by greybeard2012 »

Thanks I know, I updated it yesterday but when I used My5 earlier this week I hadn't.

I haven't tried it with the new version yet so I thought I had better just report that My5 was working with FF 52.0.1.
greybeard2012

Post by greybeard2012 »

Sorry to resurrect this thread but I'm having problems with My5 again.

After the fix, whatever it was, for the FF version I was using back then the My5 (UK Ch5 TV catch up) has worked fine. I hadn't used it for a month or so but last week wanted to use it again. All seemed OK, I had to sit through the advertisements before the program selected started and there was no problem with that displaying but as soon as the program itself began up popped an error message.

The error message ID (JW 2011|Version: 1.8.7.186) is listed in the My5 "help" page as some unspecified generic issue and when I contacted My5 by email about this they simply (stupidly unhelpfully) just repeated the generalised advice they provide on the web site to update the OS, browser and ensure the play DRM content box is ticked. The specific FF advice suggests it should work with My5 from v47 onward.

The fact is FF was working until very recently on that web site. Whatever the problem it affects all the programs I've tested. Clearly from the fact that the advertisements run perfectly it is not a display issue and that suggests some sort of content certification problem, possibly the same thing thing as before. It has never been explained exactly what fixed that.

Problem is that despite my video playback plugins being up to date and everything else unchanged since it last worked I am using an older FF version (v54.0.1). This is for very good reasons, detailed in another thread here, and I still don't want to update it just to find out whether it works OK or not.

I have found that the EI version I have that was working with My5 when I had the original problem with My5 is now "not supported for our video playback" but I tried Waterfox v56.2.3 and that works fine despite almost all its settings being imported from Firefox.

BTW BBC iPlayer, the only other TV catch up service I use regularly, still works perfectly with my FF version so it is must be some specific problem with My5.

If it is a DRM or some other sort of certification recognition issue again I'm wondering if it might also affect whatever the most recent FF version is too and if that is fixed my older FF might work as well.

Any advice/suggestions other than to update FF appreciated.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Tried to check it out however got a pop-up that said
We're sorry but you must be located in the British Isles to view this content.
Can't help if I can't use the site.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
greybeard2012

Post by greybeard2012 »

Thanks for trying.

Typically with UK broadcast TV channels (My5 is one of a number UK Channel 5 or just "5" owned TV stations) getting access from abroad to their online content is blocked because of programme licensing restrictions.

Apparently using a VPN with UK location option works.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

dfoulkes wrote:Just to put what I found out... and I do not know the cause...

It ran fine in my IE
It ran fine in my portable Chrome
It ran fine in my portable Opera
It ran fine in my portable Firefox ESR
It did not run in my skinny Firefox test profile
It did not run in that skinny Firefox test profile when it ran in safe-mode.

So... just confirming what you see.
Since you are in the US, how did you manage to access the site.

Tried to check it out however got a pop-up that said
We're sorry but you must be located in the British Isles to view this content.
greybeard2012

Post by greybeard2012 »

Here's even more annoyance.

After that latest problem with My5 back in December I tried other browsers and eventually settled on Waterfox (Portable) as that worked fine with My5.

It was working in December and I'm pretty sure up to the end of the year and sometime during this period Firefox also started working again. But come early January when I was trying to catch up with some stuff I'd missed over Christmas I discovered both had stopped working in exactly the same way. The My5 web site loaded correctly, the pre-programme ads and programme sponsors intros displayed fine but as soon as the actual programmes started - that generic error message appeared.

I contacted My5 but they poo-pooed my suggestion this must be a DRM or certificate issue (I'd checked and my Firefox installation had and still has the appropriate DigiCert GeoTrust RSA CA 2018 certificate). They were sympathetic but totally unhelpful with the only suggestion being change to Chrome. :(

Both Waterfox and Firefox were tested regularly throughout January with the same result. Some time earlier this month (February) there was a Waterfox update and that still did not work afterwards but today there was another update available and once done Waterfox has started working with My5.

I've tried comparing the DigiCert certificates on both Firefox and Waterfox and as far as I can see they're identical so what is the problem with Firefox? The My5 web site says that the Firefox version I'm using is supported but it still is not working.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

This thread started two years ago. Since it appears to involve a couple of browsers with the only common element being My5, suggest this is not a FF issue rather a My5 issue. Locking.