How to disable/ignore GPU blacklist?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
RejZoR

How to disable/ignore GPU blacklist?

Post by RejZoR »

I'm sick and tired of my laptop being absolutely totally useless because it runs everything on CPU because someone at Mozilla decided to take away HW acceleration with stupid GPU blacklist (which worked just fine before on exact same GPU that's now blocked)). And I want to try it on my terms being fully aware if there are problems I'll know what is causing them. But I can't find ANYWHERE how to disable this nonsense. There are just bunch of guides that say use about:config and enable bunch of force-enable settings. But none of that actually works because the damn browser is blocking it based on driver version, ignoring any and all settings in about:config. I don't care if driver crashes on that particular system twice a day, at least the damn thing will be useful for something. Currently it can hardly run anything because of this blacklist...

So, how can it be done?
My webpage and blog: http://www.rejzor.tk
JayhawksRock

Re: How to disable/ignore GPU blacklist?

Post by JayhawksRock »

What happens using Chrome and/or Windows browser... use what ever works
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
RejZoR

Post by RejZoR »

Chrome lags the same, probably they just blindly use same GPU blocklist as Mozilla. Edge works and it works brilliantly with hardware accelerated Youtube and everything. But I can't use that because it basically has no other features I need. I need GMail checker, mouse gestures, LastPass, live RSS feed, synced bookmarks etc. All the things other browsers don't have, especially Edge. Why else do you think I'm sticking with Firefox and asking things here instead of just using that?
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

RejZoR wrote:Chrome lags the same, probably they just blindly use same GPU blocklist as Mozilla. Edge works and it works brilliantly with hardware accelerated Youtube and everything. But I can't use that because it basically has no other features I need. I need GMail checker, mouse gestures, LastPass, live RSS feed, synced bookmarks etc. All the things other browsers don't have, especially Edge. Why else do you think I'm sticking with Firefox and asking things here instead of just using that?
Well, then get your AZZ over to Mozilla and demand they give you what you want....
https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Firefox/ct-p/Firefox
https://qsurvey.mozilla.com/s3/FirefoxInput/
Have a Nice Life
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
RejZoR

Post by RejZoR »

So, there is no way of doing it?
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

HWA for IE/EDGE works different from that in chrome/firefox - and yes, both use same list whoever invented it first, no one to blame.
if you cant get a newer driver for your system you are "out" :p
btw not your driver will crash, but firefox (and chrome) will do - no fun browsing.
at least i have same here but i dont care - system is powerfull enough.

the point here might that more and more sites go html5 instead flash - flash is using hwa wether firefox/chrome dont use it. if you have lags with html5 video your cpu is also outdated as your driver. the only thin you can do is to replace the cpu if possible.
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

@ RejZoR -
setting these options in about:config to true should force Hardware Acceleration:
gfx.direct2d.force-enabled
layers.acceleration.force-enabled
gfx.font_rendering.directwrite.force-enabled

and setting this option in about:config to true should force Video Acceleration:
media.hardware-video-decoding.force-enabled
but if it isn't working, it could be Bug 1253923 - media.hardware-video-decoding.force-enabled = true doesn't work,
so add your information, if it's that issue.

Also you can post here all your about:support, as code, especially graphic section.
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
therube

Post by therube »

(@Jay, Chrome, IE, Edge has no bearing here, IMO.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
RejZoR

Post by RejZoR »

I don't frigging care what crashes if ever. It never crashed before for anything when HW acceleration was used and still never does. Just because driver is now from Windows Update, that doesn't mean it's all of a sudden incapable of HW acceleration. MPC HC, PotPlayer, SMPlayer, they all use DXVA acceleration for H.264 videos without a single crash, lockup, whatever.

I just tested Chrome which, unlike Firefox has blacklist override setting within it's hidden settings. A god damn flip of a switch. Guess what, 1080p60 video, played smoothly on GPU Mozilla blocks for whatever retarded reason. browser didn't crash and neither a driver. And I even enabled all the acceleration for webpages and all. Works perfectly fine. But in Firefox, I don't even have the chance to try it out because some smartass thought they know it better than I do actually owning and using the GPU in question (AMD E-450 APU).

@Virtual_ManPL
As I've said, everyone talk about these settings but they do exactly NOTHING, because driver blocklist blocks any HW acceleration whether you force it through settings or not. It just blocks it all. Even when I deleted entire blocklist file and set i to read-only so it can't be reloaded, it just somehow knew what driver to block. Absolutely idiotic.

I don't like Chrome because it's extensions are garbage, but apparently I'll be forced to leave Firefox behind because some smartass decided to make my otherwise perfectly capable laptop for such content entirely useless because it has to run everything on it's CPU while GPU idles there, doing absolutely nothing.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

trouble come - trouble leave
https://rejzor.wordpress.com/2015/12/29 ... irefox-43/
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 70965&f=38
aso.

the E450 is an outdated chip with less power in comparison, could also be a manufactory fault with other components in your laptop. that chip is 6 years old, what do you expect from laptop hardware?
I don't like Chrome because it's extensions are garbage
depends of what you expect - the more you tweak your firefox the less you like chrome or similar.
use opera - you have have extensions of both "worlds" (opera&chrome store) - but opera is specific. i switched chromium for testing purpose, its different.
therube

Post by therube »

There are other "blocklist", more then just blocklist.xml.

After I have deleted all blocklist*.*, it appears that none return (oddly & unexpectedly).
(There are also; blocklist-plugins.json & blocklist-addons.json, & when I first added attributes, RHS, to blocklist.xml, there appeared a blocklist.tmp.xml.)

Don't know if those deletions, plus Virtual's pref changes will get you going (or is it accelerating)?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

RejZoR wrote:@Virtual_ManPL
As I've said, everyone talk about these settings but they do exactly NOTHING, because driver blocklist blocks any HW acceleration whether you force it through settings or not. It just blocks it all. Even when I deleted entire blocklist file and set i to read-only so it can't be reloaded, it just somehow knew what driver to block. Absolutely idiotic.
Report the bug on Bugzilla, as clearly these preferences don't work at all in your case.
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
RejZoR

Post by RejZoR »

Brummelchen wrote:trouble come - trouble leave
https://rejzor.wordpress.com/2015/12/29 ... irefox-43/
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 70965&f=38
aso.

the E450 is an outdated chip with less power in comparison, could also be a manufactory fault with other components in your laptop. that chip is 6 years old, what do you expect from laptop hardware?
I don't like Chrome because it's extensions are garbage
depends of what you expect - the more you tweak your firefox the less you like chrome or similar.
use opera - you have have extensions of both "worlds" (opera&chrome store) - but opera is specific. i switched chromium for testing purpose, its different.
It doesn't matter how old it is, it's more than enough capable to decode 1080p60 smoothly in Edge, Win10 apps like Netflix and in ALL media players like MPC HC. I even play games here and there on it. So, HW acceleration clearly isn't a problem anywhere except where someone intentionally blocks it and redirects all computation to CPU which isn't dedicated for this sort of workload. For long I didn't even know they were doing this until I recently connected all the dots. It took me months to gradually figure it out. So annoying.

If those settings should disable blocklist, how come I'm the only one affected by it (apparently)?
chillinfart

Post by chillinfart »

I have exactly the same problem with a Mobility Radeon 7500 (a 2002 graphics card), but my desktop PC with a Radeon HD5450 is out of problems, so is senseless to block a GPU slightly newer than mine (those AMD E-450 has integrated HD 6000 graphics cards).

Coming back to my Radeon 7500, system requirements for Firefox should be complied (Mesa 8 and later, libraries ok, Xorg ok) and i suspect is OpenGL version which blocked my card (OpenGL 1.3 supported), after checking this error in about:support

Code: Select all

[OPENGL] Failed to init compositor with reason: FEATURE_FAILURE_OPENGL_CREATE_CONTEXT
And by Mozilla, this card should be whitelisted due to Mesa Drivers (version 17.0.7 atm). No OpenGL specific restrictions, while Opera 45 can be forced to use OpenGL 1.x
Mesa drivers are whitelisted if the Mesa version is at least 7.10.3 (see bug 659560).

Exception: with the Nouveau 3D driver, the Mesa version is required to be at least 8.0 (see bug 729817
Can you update or check which workaround can i take to put HW acceleration back in Firefox?